Pepper Spray/OC sucks!!!

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
Our installation is FINALLY permitting the officers to carry it. I had to get certified today, which entails getting sprayed with the stuff. I'll tell you what, that's some mean stuff. I think I'd rather be shot than get hit with that stuff. My face is still burning from it. I'm a pretty tough dude too, but this stuff is mean. I didn't even get sprayed with the most potent kind on the market either.

Word to the wise, don't get in a position to get sprayed with this if you don't have to 'cuz it will tear your ass up! :D

PS - the red face icon is about how I actually look right now. ;)

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Rogue
Word to the wise, don't get in a position to get sprayed with this if you don't have to 'cuz it will tear your ass up! :D

If I get hired on to my local PD I could be getting sprayed within a couple months. Then I'll still have to go to the academy before I go full time and get sprayed there too...probably tased as well. :disgust:

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
in boot camp we had to

put on a gas mask, go into a room filled with tear gas
take off our mask, say our name before they would let us leave

tear gas is nasty

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by: FoBoT
in boot camp we had to

tear gas is nasty

I've been through the gas chamber in Army Basic. They cooked up a real good batch of it for everyone. Hell, I still have the video and I'd transfer it to DVD if I had the equipment, but let me tell you this, CS/Teargas doesn't have ANYTHING on OC/Pepperspray. This stuff is just plain mean.

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
every time your exposed to it it gets a little easier to deal with. my father is a cop and every once in awhile his belt get will get caught on somethin and set off the pepper spray. its still bad but not as bad as it use to be.

VTboy

Banned
Oct 13, 2003
I have been pepper sprayed and it is not that bad. You know what is worst being shot with an air taser. That thing hurts.

Tetsuo

Lifer
Oct 20, 2002
Yea, I've been sprayed with it. It's not THAT bad. I'm thinking a taser would be worse, or a rubber bullet.

VTboy

Banned
Oct 13, 2003
Also pepper spray only has a around a 70% affectiveness compared to a EMD Air Taser that is around 100%. Meaning that around 30% of the time someone will be able to overcome the pain from the pepper spray and it won't do you any good.

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
Originally posted by: VTboy
Also pepper spray only has a around a 70% affectiveness compared to a EMD Air Taser that is around 100%. Meaning that around 30% of the time someone will be able to overcome the pain from the pepper spray and it won't do you any good.

Who says you can't keep dousing them with it :p

Those little pepper spray bottles don't only carry one "shot," right?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
People please. OC/pepper spray comes in different concentrations. I highly doubt you people are getting LEO or military grade spray. Anyway, I have been sprayed by accident and it wasn't fun. I wear contacts so it was a mega bitch.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: VTboy

I know for a fact that Tazers don't have 100% effectiveness and that's not accounting for misfires or missing your target.

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
in boot camp we had to

tear gas is nasty

As much as I'd love to say "MARINES SUPER HARDCORE YEAH!!!" here, I can't.
When I went through basic we all had to go in the gas chamber... it was bullsh!t in the grand scheme of things. Yeah I was in pain for a little while, but whatever.
One of the guys I went to boot with ended up going to MP (military police) school and he called me 2 days after being certified on military grade mace. We'd both been sprayed with civilian grade pepper spray before and it hurt but we could shake it off. Apparently the military grade stuff is about 500 times worse. My friend was in pain for over 24 hours, and the pain for the first few hours was completely incapacitating. Military grade mace and civilian mace are two completely different things, and I'll challenge everyone in this thread who's "tried it" before to forget the civilian brand they had and see what military grade is like. I guarantee they'll be changing their story.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
what, exactly, is the point in getting purposely sprayed? Do you build any sort of immunity to it, is it teaching you how to deal with it, or do they do it so you can say "Man, this stuff SUCKS, I really don't wanna have that done to me if it comes down to it."

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ness1469
what, exactly, is the point in getting purposely sprayed? Do you build any sort of immunity to it, is it teaching you how to deal with it, or do they do it so you can say "Man, this stuff SUCKS, I really don't wanna have that done to me if it comes down to it."

Mixture...

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: ThaGrandCow
in boot camp we had to

tear gas is nasty

As much as I'd love to say "MARINES SUPER HARDCORE YEAH!!!" here, I can't.
When I went through basic we all had to go in the gas chamber... it was bullsh!t in the grand scheme of things. Yeah I was in pain for a little while, but whatever.
One of the guys I went to boot with ended up going to MP (military police) school and he called me 2 days after being certified on military grade mace. We'd both been sprayed with civilian grade pepper spray before and it hurt but we could shake it off. Apparently the military grade stuff is about 500 times worse. My friend was in pain for over 24 hours, and the pain for the first few hours was completely incapacitating. Military grade mace and civilian mace are two completely different things, and I'll challenge everyone in this thread who's "tried it" before to forget the civilian brand they had and see what military grade is like. I guarantee they'll be changing their story.

I put military grade mace on my cereal in the morning pork chop! I brush my teeth with red peppers princess!! Dont tell me about how tough it is if your rudy poo candy ass cant take it! Toughen up!

:confused:

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Pepper spray is definately a good choice. I insist that my SO carry Mace (TM) with her at all times, for some odd reason Mace (TM) is illegal here in MN along with Pepper Spray so we had to have it shipped from her brother in Texas (I am not suprised that it isn't illegal there). I remember in school once a guy decided to test out some Pepper spray on his hand, let's just say the entire class was evacuated and subsequently the entire school!

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: TwiceOver
Pepper spray is definately a good choice. I insist that my SO carry Mace (TM) with her at all times, for some odd reason Mace (TM) is illegal here in MN along with Pepper Spray so we had to have it shipped from her brother in Texas (I am not suprised that it isn't illegal there). I remember in school once a guy decided to test out some Pepper spray on his hand, let's just say the entire class was evacuated and subsequently the entire school!

Carrying OC in Civilian Strength is worthless. If you can get her a CCW in MN then do it.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
I am happy with non-lethal personal protection but WTF is OC and CCW? Explain please Mill.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: TwiceOver
I am happy with non-lethal personal protection but WTF is OC and CCW? Explain please Mill.

Oleoresin Capsaicin= Pepper Spray basically. CCW= Concealed Carry Weapon... i.e. a nice big handgun that is hidden. Anyway, you do realize Civilian OC is worthless don't you? What is she going to use it for? If someone is robbing you and armed you don't resist with OC. A rapist isn't going to stop with Civilian OC. It gives a false sense of security and is utterly worthless. Non-lethals personal protection just means that you will have your methods defeated. Non-lethal stuff just doesn't work for personal defense. The Civilian version of the Tazer doesn't come out until a few more months. OC is wortheless in your case. Gun is the only solution. JMO.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
I hear there's a varient of pepper spray designed to deter bear attacks..much higher concentration for maximum effect on yogies nose and eyes..field tested with proven results in Alaska...the stuff comes in a container that looks like an automotive fire ext.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I guarantee you that a 124 grain Federal Hydra-shok 9mm round is much worse than any OC on the market. OC will only kill a few people, those who are alergic to it, or ultra sensitive. I've never heard of a person who wasn't sensitive to bullets.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Nebor
I guarantee you that a 124 grain Federal Hydra-shok 9mm round is much worse than any OC on the market. OC will only kill a few people, those who are alergic to it, or ultra sensitive. I've never heard of a person who wasn't sensitive to bullets.

Never heard of anyone dying from OC.