People who have Christmas lights on 20-30 foot tall trees

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Probably something like a polesaw. Sometimes I think I'd like to decorate my tall hardwoods getting out to the branch tips. I'd do it by climbing. It's a lot of work and expense as a sight gag for people to WTF over. It would be cool though.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Yep, bucket lift. You're not going to climb a conifer with ropes and pulleys like you could a hardwood. I suppose a polesaw method would be possible, just seems like it could be a real pain and take 2-3x as long. Cheaper than renting a lift, I guess.

I have a friend with a large pine in his front yard that he strung-up the first year he lived there, and he never took the lights down. He said they're weatherproof and "constant on" so the entire string doesn't fail with a single bulb going out.

I asked him about the wires being chewed on by squirrels and critters, and he shrugged and said it hasn't been an issue and they haven't failed yet. They've been in that tree for 7 or 8 years now.

Nov 17, 2019
Trees grow every year, so the lights will be deeper in and less visible over time. Plus LEDs fade over time. Eventually they'll have to be redone for those two reasons.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I don't think its a lift. Those are probably very expensive to rent and lots of houses have 2-3 story tall trees that are all lit up.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
One can throw one end of the string to the top of the tree and attempt to walk the rest of the string around the tree, standing off at a distance so the string doesn't get tangled in the branches. Otherwise, it's aliens.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
I have tried to do that on different trees. I used the throw and walk method and the pool pole method. Neither one works and you can only get the bottom part of the tree. Too cheap and scared of heights to rent a cherry picker. I realized it is so much easier to decorate using the method below.

The video moves too fast at the beginning to see the best Minion, but you get the idea.

• Haha

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
They wire the tree when it's young and add more lights to the bottom as the tree grows.
That's the safe way to do it for sure.
Used to have neighbors a few doors down who hired a giant. Pretty sure i heard the giant one day Fee Fi Fo Fumming. Like a month later the house was sold and new people moved in. (Did the Giant eat the previous neighbors?)

One guy tried using stilts, but, he got tangled up and fell. All the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't put him back together again.

There was an athlete down the block who tried using a pole vault technique, but they ended up with a concussion.

Folks next door tried to use the pogo stick technique. They didn't get high enough to get the top half of the tree, but the lights were nicely draped over the branches.

• Haha
Reactions: pete6032 and Pohemi

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ohh I almost forgot, the people standing on top of each others shoulders wearing a big trenchcoat option is also relatively safe assuming the person at the base is strong and heavy and the person at the top is light and balanced.

• Haha

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I have a big blue spruce out front and I always wanted to put lights in it, but yeah it would be a crazy amount of work and expense. I'm not putting cheap hardware store lights if I do it, I'm going to buy commercial lights. Do it right, do it once. Probably use a cherry picker. I imagine an extendo stick like the linemen use could maybe work.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
That was probably done with a lift in the OP.
you can rent a towable 35 foot lift for $269 at Home Depot. I can get a 50 foot from my local rental place for the same price for a day, pick it up friday and have it all weekend for that price.
Decorate a whole bunch of trees.
https://www.compactpowerrents.com/rental-equipment/scissor-and-boom-lifts/35-ft-towable-boom-lift/

areialequipment_t350_jlg_full.jpg

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
That tree can be done with a telescoping pole and (maybe) a ladder. Two people with matching gear would make it easier.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
We're planning to have vaulted ceilings at our next house, and you're better your ass we're going to have a 15' tree.