"People-Powered Howard" Dean Raised $800K Online Today

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
Dean For America Homepage
The Campaign's "Blog For America"

Dean was able to raise $800K today through his website, $3.8 million in the last 9 days with $3 million of that coming from online donations, and a total of $7 million for Q2 2003, which would easily beat the other major candidates in John Kerry and John Edwards. Kerry's advisor is saying that the Democratic nomination may have become a two horse race (with his candidate being the other horse of course of course).

Is this a historic day for American politics? I think the shift to a campaign being run VERY successfully online is a big step forward (Dole's emails in 1996 don't count). It was able to turn Dean from a third tier candidate to a first tier. Or will the MoveOn primary be more prominently remembered in the history books? IMO its quite exciting to see the Internet take a prominent role in national elections.

I think unless we're witness to some shocking, violent event, we don't realize we're living through a major event in history. But what Dean was able to do today, and what has been happening with the MoveOn PAC and Dean's campaign in the last several weeks, may be taught in PolySci101 classes forever.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
Dean has zero chance of winning.

And that's a good thing.

Actually the Democrats have nearly a zero chance of winning.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Lucky
Go dean! I sincerely hope that he is chosen as the party's candidate! :D
Why? Are you wanting to see Bush beat Dean like Reagan beat Mondale?

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: shinerburke

Yup. :D

I believe he will beat him worse. Didn't Mondale win a state or 2?

I'm relieved Edwards might not get the nomination. Maybe now he can get back to pretending to be a Senator.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Hell, if dean was selected I might even be able to vote who I realy want to vote for-libertarian-and still not have to worry that I'd be hurting bush. of course my singular vote doesn't really matter the way we conduct national elections...

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: shinerburke

Yup. :D

I believe he will beat him worse. Didn't Mondale win a state or 2?

I'm relieved Edwards might not get the nomination. Maybe now he can get back to pretending to be a Senator.
Mondale won Minnesota.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

Me too! :D Bush will thoroughly trounce him :D

CkG

I'm thoroughly convinced Bush is going to win the next election for the simple reason that the majority of Americans are dumb.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Good point. Bush will just have the supreme court stop the ballot counting again. He can't lose no matter how you slice it.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
I take solace in that fact that Bush didnt win the last election nor did he "win" Florida either since thousands of black voters were discarded.

Last time he ran on a moderate platform, remember " Compassionate Conservatism", which got him most the of the moderate votes. Since hes not fufilled a single "moderate" promise, moderates would think twice before voting. Fool me once...

If the same people who backed Ralph Nader back in 2000, that's at least 100,000 people with the same people that voted for Gore in 2000, backed a democratic canadiate, Bush wouldnt have a chance.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz
I take solace in that fact that Bush didnt win the last election nor did he "win" Florida either since millions of black voters were discarded.

Funny, according to my data, my data, , there are only 1.5 million blacks in florida over the age of 18 in 2000.

Now, considering black turnout in florida was just over 50%, that's a total of about 800,000 black voters in florida. Hardly "millions", even if you assume every one of them was denied an opportunity to vote.

Which we know isn't true, since even the NAACP's lawsuit says, explicitly, "On information and belief, thousands of Black citizens were ... denied the opportunity to vote in that election. "

Much of their argument is simply based on the fact that the punchard voting systems that were used by many stupid people voting twice were disproportionally used in black communities. Something to be remedied of course, but it's not like they were lynching black people who tried to vote.

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000
I can't wait for the first debate between Dean and Bush. Dean will expose Bush for what he is to the american people. It won't be pretty for Bush.

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000
I take solace in that fact that Bush didnt win the last election nor did he "win" Florida either since millions of black voters were discarded.

Funny, according to my data, my data, , there are only 1.5 million blacks in florida over the age of 18 in 2000.

Now, considering black turnout in florida was just over 50%, that's a total of about 800,000 black voters in florida. Hardly "millions", even if you assume every one of them was denied an opportunity to vote.

Which we know isn't true, since even the NAACP's lawsuit says, explicitly, "On information and belief, thousands of Black citizens were ... denied the opportunity to vote in that election. "

Much of their argument is simply based on the fact that the punchard voting systems that were used by many stupid people voting twice were disproportionally used in black communities. Something to be remedied of course, but it's not like they were lynching black people who tried to vote.

Wrong. Around 90,000 voters lost their right to vote (many of them african american) because Jeb and his friends in Florida scubbed the voter rolls, discarding people who never committed any crime.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Wrong. Around 90,000 voters lost their right to vote (many of them african american) because Jeb and his friends in Florida scubbed the voter rolls, discarding people who never committed any crime.

What exactly am I wrong about? Tell me, in detail, please. BTW, that "scrubbing" is required by both state and federal law. The problem (and the lawsuit) stem from how that "scrubbing" took place, how consistent it was, and how accurate it was.

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000

What exactly am I wrong about? Tell me, in detail, please.

You said this:

If you would read naacp's lawsuit against Katherine Harris, you would find:
link
In particular, as a result of the practices complained of in this action, in precincts with substantial numbers of Black voters, there were a disproportionate number of ballots with no vote counted for the office of President of the United States, Black voters were wrongfully purged from official lists of eligible voters, the voter registration applications of Black voters were not processed properly, and registered voters encountered unjustified barriers to voting at their precincts.
There is alot more to the story than "stupid people screwed up and voted twice"

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003

I corrected that error btw it was thousands not millions, I meant to say thousands. Sorry :D

All I got to say is that the following is an affront to democracy....

CBS

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: 308nato
Don't get to excited. $750,000 was donated by Republicans.

Thats even better news, true Republicans have finally gotten the good sense to oust the shameful Bush regime.