People piss me off post #2

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
Originally posted by: Turin39789
meh, they should be doing at least 50 hours of community service on their own per month anyway, so that's not real punishment. And the money pays for the lawn.

What happened to the kids doing the jumping?

Lawn wasn't torn up, just a tired mark I guess?

Not sure on the other kids, Im assuming nothing.

Then you have absolutely no idea the punishment for the other offenders? Great story...

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: pontifex

And you're making stuff up to defend your asinine argument?

Please, which facts am I leaving out?

if i knew that, i wouldn't be guessing at what they ar, now would I? and wait, who's the one making up stuff to defend his argument?

Just because I didn't give the color of the car, doesn't justify you making up that they were defacing property.

Again, if you have a question - just ask?

wow...you think the color of the car is one of the facts i want to know? shouldn't the title of this post be "why i piss people off"?

You keep saying you want to know facts, yet Ive asked 3 times now. What facts do you want to know? Quit beating around the bush and tell me.

so they're at this community clubhouse, right? your sister and her friends are the only ones there, besides the random "enemies"?

Enemies aren't random. And as far as being the only ones at the clubhouse, Im unsure. Maybe there were people in the pool behind the clubhouse? Maybe there were some people on the basketball courts or tennis courts on the side of the clubhouse. Not really to sure, but I'd assume so.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: slsmnaz
Originally posted by: Turin39789
meh, they should be doing at least 50 hours of community service on their own per month anyway, so that's not real punishment. And the money pays for the lawn.

What happened to the kids doing the jumping?

Lawn wasn't torn up, just a tired mark I guess?

Not sure on the other kids, Im assuming nothing.

Then you have absolutely no idea the punishment for the other offenders? Great story...

Wow. The level of ATOT has seriously dropped in the last few years. You're pathetic. Go post elsewhere.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
You keep saying you want to know facts, yet Ive asked 3 times now. What facts do you want to know? Quit beating around the bush and tell me.

Here's what I want to know:

-why was the kid suddenly gay on page 2 but not in the OP?
-why did it change to a neighborhood clubhouse from "at some subdivision where I guess they hang out at often"
-was your sister being attacked or did she just run from fear?
-were you there?
-why do you believe that there is only 1 side to the whole story?
-do you normally believe 16-18yo to be the best decision makers?

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002

Here's what I want to know:

-why was the kid suddenly gay on page 2 but not in the OP?
-why did it change to a neighborhood clubhouse from "at some subdivision where I guess they hang out at often"
-was your sister being attacked or did she just run from fear?
-were you there?
-why do you believe that there is only 1 side to the whole story?
-do you normally believe 16-18yo to be the best decision makers?

I never said he was gay, I said what if he was gay? I also never said his sexual preference in the OP.

A subdivision where kids hang out, is the same as a clubhouse inside a subdivision where... you guessed it, kids hang out. One is just a more precise location.

My sister was not physically harmed, although someone did kick/dent her car. She ran from fear.

No, I was not there.

I know there are two sides to every story. However, I also know that my sister did not go out and attack anyone. (She's pretty small). I also know her to hang out at this subdivisions clubhouse often, so its not like she has a tendency to get into trouble at this particular subdivision. I also know she has never had any problems with the law, or anything of that sort.

No, I don't believe 16-18 yr olds to be the best decision makers. Thats why, as I've already stated, Im sure they could have done something better. Like perhaps call the cops WHILE being chased, however hindsight is 20/20, and I'd hardly call that criminal.

Anything else?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

Enemies aren't random. And as far as being the only ones at the clubhouse, Im unsure. Maybe there were people in the pool behind the clubhouse? Maybe there were some people on the basketball courts or tennis courts on the side of the clubhouse. Not really to sure, but I'd assume so.

but you said people can have enemies for no reason, if thats not random, i don't know what is.

sow hy couldn't the people at clubhouse help yor sister and her friends? why didn't they call the police? the place is run without any adult supervision? no lifeguards for the pool?

$900 for a tire mark? there has to be more to it than that. something else had to have been destroyed

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I've seen kids get away with far worse, dui, drug possession, theft, assault etc... and get nothing but a slap on the wrist. Then you have a group of kids who are simply running from other kids and you get this crap?

50 hrs community service and an essay IS a slap on the wrist.

Point is, what did they do wrong? Oh, and don't forget some bullcrap $900 in damages for driving through a lawn?

Trespassing and damaging private property.

Do you feel that the homeowner should have to pay to repair his property damaged by your sister and her friends?

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002

but you said people can have enemies for no reason, if thats not random, i don't know what is.

sow hy couldn't the people at clubhouse help yor sister and her friends? why didn't they call the police? the place is run without any adult supervision? no lifeguards for the pool?

$900 for a tire mark? there has to be more to it than that. something else had to have been destroyed

I dont know if there were people around that could help her. The pool may have had a lifeguard on duty, but they weren't exactly near the pool. Not even within line of sight of the pool.

The expense for the tire mark is part of the problem, Im thinking someone over-estimated. They did claim something about a hose head though? Not sure what those cost. I'd doubt $900 though...

And, I did say people could have enemies for no GOOD reason. Aka, I have an enemy because Im black, or because Im smart, or whatever. Its a reason, but hardly a good reason. And yes, those enemies could be random. As in, the KKK attacking some black guy. Its random cause you don't know those people. As for this particular case, from what I know its not random, but its certainly not a good reason.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Darwin333
I've seen kids get away with far worse, dui, drug possession, theft, assault etc... and get nothing but a slap on the wrist. Then you have a group of kids who are simply running from other kids and you get this crap?

Point is, what did they do wrong? Oh, and don't forget some bullcrap $900 in damages for driving through a lawn?

Do you feel that the homeowner should have to pay to repair his property damaged by your sister and her friends?

You may have missed it, but I've already mentioned that my sister and her friends offered to pay any damages. I agree, the homeowner shouldn't have to pay the damages. Thats not the part I have a problem with. Although, if they are over-estimating on the damages (the builders, not the home owner) than I have a problem with that. They are supposed to supply us with an itemized report of what exactly is damaged, but so far no one has been able to supply us with that. They just keep saying 'oh so and so is supposed to have it' 'no, this person is supposed to have it' etc... A bunch of BS it looks like.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

And, I did say people could have enemies for no GOOD reason. Aka, I have an enemy because Im black, or because Im smart, or whatever. Its a reason, but hardly a good reason. And yes, those enemies could be random. As in, the KKK attacking some black guy. Its random cause you don't know those people. As for this particular case, from what I know its not random, but its certainly not a good reason.

"Fine, I'll come out and say it. This kid has enemies for no reason."

i don't see the word "good" in there. maybe you used your "good" word allotment in your previous posts explaining that your sister is a "good" person.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002

i don't see the word "good" in there. maybe you used your "good" word allotment in your previous posts explaining that your sister is a "good" person.

Irregardless, no good reason or no reason, we've already established that physically harming someone else is not acceptable under the majority of circumstances. I think we've also established this is one of those circumstances.

Have you lowered yourself to nitpicking on words in order to save your argument, or do you actually have some valid points to raise?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

Irregardless, no good reason or no reason, we've already established that physically harming someone else is not acceptable under the majority of circumstances. I think we've also established this is one of those circumstances.

Have you lowered yourself to nitpicking on words in order to save your argument, or do you actually have some valid points to raise?

Irregardless is not a word.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002

I guess you've answered my question. And for the record, yes it is. This is a debate ATOT had a long time back, and it was proved it is a word. Old English, not often used but still valid. I personally prefer this word.

Again I ask, any real points to raise or are you going to nitpick on my vocabulary and choice of words all day?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

I guess you've answered my question. And for the record, yes it is. This is a debate ATOT had a long time back, and it was proved it is a word. Old English, not often used but still valid. I personally prefer this word.

Again I ask, any real points to raise or are you going to nitpick on my vocabulary and choice of words all day?

Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements ir- and -less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective, irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may do so from a desire to add emphasis. Irregardless first appeared in the early 20th century and was perhaps popularized by its use in a comic radio program of the 1930s.

old english huh? the early 1900s is old english?

no other real points. they've all been raised and you can't seem to provide all the info or want to hold some back, so there's no use in continuing with that portion of the thread

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
No, I don't believe 16-18 yr olds to be the best decision makers. Thats why, as I've already stated, Im sure they could have done something better. Like perhaps call the cops WHILE being chased, however hindsight is 20/20, and I'd hardly call that criminal.

I'm pretty sure that's why the judge decided she needed to do 50 hours of community service, to make sure she remembers to make different decisions in the future.

lightpants

Platinum Member
Aug 13, 2001
50 hours of community service will do any teenager good. I am sure that if she was doing community service instead of "hanging out in a subdivision" she wouldn't be in the situation in the first place.
Win, win.

Stop acting like community service is something painful to do, it will be good for her and the people in the community that she lives in. As for the restitution, I am sure you can get an itemized report of the damages and I am sure that she will not have to pay for more then the cost to repair the damage.

All actions have consequences, some good or some bad. That is life.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: lightpants
50 hours of community service will do any teenager good. I am sure that if she was doing community service instead of "hanging out in a subdivision" she wouldn't be in the situation in the first place.
Win, win.

Stop acting like community service is something painful to do, it will be good for her and the people in the community that she lives in. As for the restitution, I am sure you can get an itemized report of the damages and I am sure that she will not have to pay for more then the cost to repair the damage.

All actions have consequences, some good or some bad. That is life.

Very good point. Too bad her parents didn't figure that out before she got in trouble.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Darwin333

You may have missed it, but I've already mentioned that my sister and her friends offered to pay any damages. I agree, the homeowner shouldn't have to pay the damages. Thats not the part I have a problem with. Although, if they are over-estimating on the damages (the builders, not the home owner) than I have a problem with that. They are supposed to supply us with an itemized report of what exactly is damaged, but so far no one has been able to supply us with that. They just keep saying 'oh so and so is supposed to have it' 'no, this person is supposed to have it' etc... A bunch of BS it looks like.

I doubt that a builder is gonna go through the hassle of trying to screw your sister out of a few hundred bucks.

With that said, if you think that he IS trying to screw her you should find a contractor yourself to give you a quote. I am quite sure that the builder has a pretty good relationship with whoever he is getting an estimate from and could have them put anything he wants in an itemized quote.