People complainign their insurance is going up with the ACA

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
One of the sad aspects of the health care debate is that most Americans are too dull to realize that the nation's options are not the "Previous System" and Obamacare. Most seem unable to conceive of other health care systems. You might even say that we have become a Nation of Retards.

That's not true. They can conceieve of other health care plans. trouble is this is the one we have now and have to deal with.

Oct 30, 2004
That's not true. They can conceieve of other health care plans. trouble is this is the one we have now and have to deal with.

Do you really think so? Do you really think the general public (and not just people who contemplate politics) are aware that other health care systems exist and are possible? To hear the media, politicians, and talking heads discuss it, the choices are Obamacare and the prior system.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
I think starting in January you will see less couples having one family plan and forced to have a separate plan* for each spouse which will drive their health insurance costs up.

* If the spouses can get insurance through their employer.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I think starting in January you will see less couples having one family plan and forced to have a separate plan* for each spouse which will drive their health insurance costs up.

Bingo... THe democrats are yet to feel the full retribution of the middle class. THey thought they did in the 2010 mid-terms... In part. In the coming couple of years ACA is going to become immensely unpopular once people really start feeling the hit from it. They will remember who wrote the law and who passed it.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Bingo... THe democrats are yet to feel the full retribution of the middle class. THey thought they did in the 2010 mid-terms... In part. In the coming couple of years ACA is going to become immensely unpopular once people really start feeling the hit from it. They will remember who wrote the law and who passed it.
Exactly right. :D

The Pubbies have put forth an effort and it will be remembered. It's time to roll over and play dead and let the Dem's live by the rules they created.

What will the total number of layoffs be before it's all over? How many more full time jobs will become part time jobs? Wait until the IRS, an organization we now know to be highly political, starts breathing down people's necks. Going after those that voted the "wrong way" and letting the rest slide.

It ain't gonna be pretty.

Oct 30, 2004
The Pubbies have put forth an effort and it will be remembered. It's time to roll over and play dead and let the Dem's live by the rules they created.

What will the total number of layoffs be before it's all over? How many more full time jobs will become part time jobs? Wait until the IRS, an organization we now know to be highly political, starts breathing down people's necks. Going after those that voted the "wrong way" and letting the rest slide.

It ain't gonna be pretty.

It's funny you should say that. I've been thinking that after the Republicans kill Obamacare, the Democrats should declare that the Republicans now have ownership of our health care system and that the Republicans can be responsible for the upcoming train wreck they fought to sustain.

"Don't get sick, and if you do get sick, die quickly and quietly." Also, enjoy your health insurance company's death panels.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
It's funny you should say that. I've been thinking that after the Republicans kill Obamacare, the Democrats should declare that the Republicans now have ownership of our health care system and that the Republicans can be responsible for the upcoming train wreck they fought to sustain.

"Don't get sick, and if you do get sick, die quickly and quietly." Also, enjoy your health insurance company's death panels.
Don't be ridiculous. I've been around long enough to recognize when I'm having smoke blown up my ass. If you're paying any attention, you know that defunding is not going to happen. It's a virtual impossibility.

You're just lashing out in fear. You think like a child and therefore have childlike fears. My unsolicited advice for the evening is to try and think outside of the confines of your brainwashing. Your head has been filled with half-truths and talking points that you blurt out here daily. The truth lies somewhere in between what you've been taught to be true and what you've been taught to hate. You can continue to function as a programmed bot or you can break free and think for yourself. Whatever choice you make is immaterial to me.

Oct 30, 2004
Don't be ridiculous. I've been around long enough to recognize when I'm having smoke blown up my ass. If you're paying any attention, you know that defunding is not going to happen. It's a virtual impossibility.

You're just lashing out in fear. You think like a child and therefore have childlike fears. My unsolicited advice for the evening is to try and think outside of the confines of your brainwashing. Your head has been filled with half-truths and talking points that you blurt out here daily. The truth lies somewhere in between what you've been taught to be true and what you've been taught to hate. You can continue to function as a programmed bot or you can break free and think for yourself. Whatever choice you make is immaterial to me.

Your response is nonsensical.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
And so as it went with Social Security and Medicare, the detractors of such programs will pull out the same 'ol dust covered boogie men from their closets and try to scare everyone with it but always end up scaring themselves the most. lol

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
they didnt have any one specific party to blame?
Because those increases were smaller, and because employers weren't being legislatively encouraged to cut hours, jobs, and/or coverage.

The middle class WILL rise up and destroy this law if/when our rates double or triple.

Bet?

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Because those increases were smaller, and because employers weren't being legislatively encouraged to cut hours, jobs, and/or coverage.

The middle class WILL rise up and destroy this law if/when our rates double or triple.

Bet?

It'll be too late by then. Once a federal program is put in place, it's virtually impossible to eliminate it. If you think the dems are squealing like pigs now, just wait'll the howl they'll let out if you try to kill it once it's fully implemented.

And bshole and sportage have deep-throated the Obama shaft so much, they have oxygen-deprivation induced brain damage. Anyone who thinks that 'the rich' are gonna have to deal with the same level of care as the average American doesn't even qualify as a moron.

Lastly, even the world-renown Cleveland Clinic is cutting it's budget to offset the costs they expect to incur due to the ACA.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/18/us-usa-health-clevelandclinic-idUSBRE98H14V20130918

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
humm, what should i believe? a questionable reddit blog written by some guy that sounds like a retard or Forbes magazine?

ill take Forbes for 1,000 Alex.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
because mine was not going up every year?

Yes but on average people's cost was going up every year even if your individual experience didn't match that.

As to what they blamed it on take your pick, it really just came down to whatever you believed was ruining the country.

It has been blamed on:
illegals
lack of tort reform
too much regulation
not enough regulation
small businesses that use their size to get around rules
large corporations that use their size to get around rules
for profit insurance
for profit hospitals
insurance tied to employment
medicare/medicaid
aging boomers
increased life expectancy
the 'extraordinary measures' mentality of end of life care (think long term life support)
ability to treat diseases/conditions long term that were death sentences (thing nursing homes)
welfare families
people having too many kids
people not having enough kids (less than 2 average per couple)

Basically you can come up with hundreds of reasons and shape them to your own viewpoint. Now that there is a law that will have a more direct impact it is the obvious target. It is also an excellent time for a business to pass on costs that it has been thinking of doing anyways but to blame a third party.

Personally I never expected ACA to help with general healthcare costs just corner cases like existing conditions and lifetime limits. I thought the main purpose was to increase the participation rate which may or may not help with insurance costs but will at least mean that many more people are insured.

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
If I sold a product that the government mandated people must buy or be fined, you can bet your sweet ass I would raise the price of it. Why the fuck wouldn't I? I am a business trying to make money...that is kinda the point.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I just received a letter from Blue Cross Blue Shield today and it said my rate would go up in December, just like clock work every year. My plan is the "just in case of catastrophe" plan with a deductible of $5,000 USD.

No claim, no sickness, nothing for the last few years but one year older every year. <sad panda>

Last edited:

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
...your usual excellent clarification of health care rules and regulations...

Given cost increases over the last decade (or plus) I think it is difficult to do any type of fair and accurate comparison that extends beyond a single year.

I think you would agree that the reason American health care costs so much is a complicated matter not well suited to simple slogans or rants :)

Many experts (real ones, not reddit posters :>) have written extensively on the system's eventual implosion given its structure pre-ACA and what could be done to help manage those costs.

Regardless, I believe the main goal was always to get more people covered and halt the growth of uninsured citizens and spread the overall costs over a larger group.

The biggest problem is the complete lack of transparency to what care actually costs, from tax breaks to emergency room treatment as de-facto insurance.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
because mine was not going up every year?

mine went up every other year. I also kept the same quality of service.

last year and this it has jumped A LOT and they have reduced a ton of coverage.

now i hear it may be changing totally come jan.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
mine went up every other year. I also kept the same quality of service.

last year and this it has jumped A LOT and they have reduced a ton of coverage.

now i hear it may be changing totally come jan.
Repeat after me, if you like your plan, you get to keep your plan, if you like your plan, you get to keep your plan, if your like your plan...

Chances of any of us keeping our Doctor are slim to none too.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Repeat after me, if you like your plan, you get to keep your plan, if you like your plan, you get to keep your plan, if your like your plan...

Chances of any of us keeping our Doctor are slim to none too.

I think i have a good chance of that. There is only 1 clinic around here that i know of.

hmm actually 2. dekalb clinic and tri-state which is only nurse practitioners. wich for most things is fine. but i have a few health problems and not taking that risk heh.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Not trying to be argumentative but do you really think that part of Obamacare is concern for how far someone has to travel?

I'm trying to find it right now, but I read an article yesterday saying that insurer's are attempting to keep premiums as low as possible by severely limiting the number of Doctor's and Hospitals that are available in any given plan.

I can't imagine that there are bureaucrats drawing circles around compass points to make sure that X Doctor is still able to serve his or her local community. That Doctor is going to have to get on board with a plan or move to a cash only model - I would think.

Will post link if I can find it.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Not trying to be argumentative but do you really think that part of Obamacare is concern for how far someone has to travel?

It actually is, at least tangentially.

Part of the ACA requires all Exchange plans to have a network of providers certified as "adequate". The easiest way to certify a network as adequate is to use a standard like HEATUS, which measures adequacy using wait times and travel distance to providers.

The downside, of course, is that such standards don't account for utilization/capacity of the providers, so a network can be adequate, meaning there are enough doctors in the area, but you still can't get an appointment because they're all booked. This has always been the biggest Achille's heel of the ACA (or one of, at least).

(Interesting note: while the ACA says you can't be denied insurance did ou know that you actually can? Turns out that if an insurer has an adequate network but that network is at capacity they can refuse to sign up any additional subscribers.)

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

My plan, and my wife's, have required this for years. Long before ACA. Both plans have requirements that if the spouse of the insured has an employer provided plan where the employer covers > 50% of cost, they have to participate in that plan in order to be covered by the other spouses plan as well.