pentium g620 sandy bridge still good for running games on atleast medium settings

voldemort12

Aug 21, 2013
im building a gaming pc well actually built i just need the processor and i dont have much money to spend can i buy this budget processor for now

these are the games i plan to run are

dota 2
tera
rift
lol
smite
marvel heroes
planet side
age of wushu
darksouls
witcher games
halflife
the cave
psychonauts
starwars old republic
bioshock 1 & 2

el etro

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2013
Good for this games, but an i3 will be better for newer titles(once your Graphics Card can run them).

For modern games like Crysis 3, Company of Heroes 2 or Last Light you will need a quad-core processor to play them.

4ghz

Sep 11, 2010
What's your budget? If you have to get a Pentium I would go for a G860 instead or a Pentium G2120 if you can run Ivy Bridge.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
For $40 (or less!) you sure can't go wrong. The money saved is better spent on a nice video card like a sub-$100 Radeon 7770 to go with that tasty little processor.

...and like 4ghz said, the G2120 is the newer incarnation of the same processor... just get what's cheapest (dual core of course) and enjoy! You can upgrade to an i5 when you can afford it. (Check for used ones - I got my i5 2500S for CHEAP because he wanted to upgrade to even faster.) ;)

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Planetside/witcher games stand out as being CPU intensive, might not fly so well on a dual core. Check benchmarks though to be sure.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Planetside might be a struggle, but apart from that you should be okay. Should last you well until you can save up for an i3/i5.

Blastman

Golden Member
Oct 21, 1999
Read this article …

techbuyer

So, what do we make of all these data points? Well, it's abundantly clear that dual-core processors without Hyperthreading have no business in a gaming machine at this point. Even if we'd used a lesser video card and lowered settings significantly, some of the minimums would likely have remained too low to be acceptable. Far Cry 3 in particular was entirely unplayable on the i3-3220 without Hyperthreading, worse even than Battlefield 3 Multi-Player, which just proves that popular single-player games really do require more processing power than a standard dual-core CPU can provide.

On the flipside, the i3-3220 with Hyperthreading proved to be an incredible performer, vastly improving upon the non-Hyperthreaded dual-core benchmarks. In fact, in only two games could we actually tell that we were gaming on something other than a true quad-core: Battlefield 3 Multi-Player and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. In every other game, the difference between the i3-3220 and i7-3770K was simply impossible to feel in-game, a testament to the value in the plucky $120 processor versus its $320 quad-core cousin - and also a scathing commentary on the gaming value of the $100 Pentium G2130 it follows in the Intel product stack.

If possible, I would save up for an i3.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Planetside/witcher games stand out as being CPU intensive, might not fly so well on a dual core. Check benchmarks though to be sure.

The first Witcher, like many legacy games, simply does not use more than 2 cores. I have personal experience with it. It will block you from running on an Intel IGP though, but you can create a shortcut to it disabling the minimum system requirements. You can play it on the more powerful HD4000, but some settings will need to be turned down. It will be worse on the plain HD Graphics of Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge(I think there's a slight difference between the architectures?).

The Witcher 2, sounds like a game that can bring many systems to their knees. I haven't played it myself though, but that's what I've heard. It's the most demanding game on his list, I think

Now, screen resolution does matter, as lower resolutions will result in higher framerates.

I think he is better off getting an A6 Trinity/Richland though, as that chip has a GPU that is likely more power than the HD4000 and the single core performance is probably similar to the G620. Of course, this is if his budget is so low he can't get a discrete card.

Last edited:

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Well, if you ONLY have $200-ish to spend, you're usually better off gaming with a $40 processor and a $100 video card than a $150 processor and IGP!

Then again, the OP might be wise to consider a nice FM2 APU... 4 cores now, plus decent graphics and room to grow...