Pentagon disarms guardsmen in Washington, D.C., in signal of de-escalation

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
They need to de-escalate! I shudder to think what would happen if the NG were to use live ammo on Amereicasns! I imagine there would have been a real war and perhaps the Military would have had to step in a declare that they are taking over......

The Pentagon has told the District of Columbia National Guard and guardsmen from other states who have arrived in the nation’s capital as backup to not use firearms or ammunition, a sign of de-escalation in the federal response to protests in the city after the killing of George Floyd, according to officials familiar with the decision.

Military leaders at the Pentagon are aware of the risks of armed guardsmen stepping in to a role traditionally played by police in an American city. In 1970, members of the Ohio National Guard who were called in to help control antiwar protests at Kent State University opened fire on demonstrators, killing four students and wounding nine others. The situation prompted outrage across the country and precipitated a crisis for the American military and its standing with the public.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
They need to de-escalate! I shudder to think what would happen if the NG were to use live ammo on Amereicasns! I imagine there would have been a real war and perhaps the Military would have had to step in a declare that they are taking over......

The Pentagon has told the District of Columbia National Guard and guardsmen from other states who have arrived in the nation’s capital as backup to not use firearms or ammunition, a sign of de-escalation in the federal response to protests in the city after the killing of George Floyd, according to officials familiar with the decision.

Military leaders at the Pentagon are aware of the risks of armed guardsmen stepping in to a role traditionally played by police in an American city. In 1970, members of the Ohio National Guard who were called in to help control antiwar protests at Kent State University opened fire on demonstrators, killing four students and wounding nine others. The situation prompted outrage across the country and precipitated a crisis for the American military and its standing with the public.
FBI actually had one removed.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
YES!! Trump will try to circumvent the de-escalation! But there comes a point when the Military IMO will not ;listen to our Coward in Chief and will have to possibly act against the Coward!