Pennsylvania school district bans books

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
In the future, when their resumes are read by prospective employers in other, less fucked up states, they can decide to hire or not hire those educated in shithole states.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Those parents complaining are probably like the idiot here who believes people in cities don’t pay gas taxes and all ride the bus.

and yes he is from bum fuck PA

Reactions: ch33zw1z and Pohemi

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Racist parents finding a back door way to ban black historical figures.

I guess this is their way of getting back for the confederate statues.

Reactions: iRONic and Pohemi

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
There is a very limited supply of empathy in the world and it needs to be reserved for White People. If other people get any, Whites will experience empathy poverty. And to emphasize just how true what I just said is, just look at how little empathy White People already have for each other much less for anyone else. Clearly empathy has found a hole somewhere to hide in.

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
In addition to the diversity committee resource list, the school was also considering changes to its lesson plans, primarily at the elementary level, that included reading Susan Verde's I am Human: A Book of Empathy.

A school board member allegedly became concerned about the book and questioned if the school would balance the lesson by teaching about empathy for police officers and first responders, Amanda said.
...are police officers and first responders not human?

Edit: FFS
It's a damn picture book aimed at very young kids, you can see some of the pages here: https://www.google.com/books/edition/I_Am_Human/4BtRDwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover

I would ask what the fuck is wrong with the school board member, but...

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019
In the future, when their resumes are read by prospective employers in other, less fucked up states, they can decide to hire or not hire those educated in shithole states.
That would be an interesting angle. Not for employers as such though, but for higher education schools. Drop accreditation for schools from districts like this. Upon application to college, 'sorry, your HS diploma is not accepted here.'

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'm starting to think their concerns were not genuine!
I'm starting to think that their actual concern is something very different than what they're claiming to be concerned about.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Given modern technology I don't think school book banning's are a real problem any more. In the olden days burning a book meant it truly disappeared.
Today? Just make it clear which books you banned so kids can go online and read them when out of school.
And if the kids do not wish to read then you've got a much bigger problem than censorship.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Good ole Pennsatucky
Growing up in the DC suburbs, I always thought Pennsylvania, the Keystone State, home of the Liberty bell, Franklin Institute, normal, sane, and liberal (in the generic sense). Well, it turns out, that was mostly just eastern PA. I finally, ran into a person born and raised in western PA. One of my old bosses was from Pittsburg, a regular online conservative nut.
Funny how your impressions change over time.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I believe we should strive to be empathic toward everyone.
More than one person has said the definition of evil is a complete lack of empathy. And if thats true it explains a LOT about human history and particularly 21st century America.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Of course, they're banning books. Everyone knows the only truth is on TV.
Parents want to ban books that debunk what they're teaching their children at home.
Every school district knows that the customers are the parents. If the parents want a book banned, what else do you need to know?