Pennsylvania Middle School Bans Boots

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
The constant semantics games in this forum are sad. Open top boots are a particular style. If you aren't familiar, look it up.

I was wondering WTF open topped boots were. so i did a search.

944330-p-DETAILED.jpg

So boots like this are banned? WTF that type/style is all that is around for winter boots.

i guess if i wanted to get my kids hiking boots..

edit: btw if anyone thinks banning these boots is going to stop kids from sneaking in phones they are fucking insane or retarded.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Only open top boots are banned

Go find me a boot that isn't open top, your foot has to fit in it right?

edit: btw if anyone thinks banning these boots is going to stop kids from sneaking in phones they are fucking insane or retarded.

Just one step closer to cavity searches, not all the pedos are confined to just penn state ya know.

Last edited:

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I was wondering WTF open topped boots were. so i did a search.

944330-p-DETAILED.jpg

So boots like this are banned? WTF that type/style is all that is around for winter boots.

For curiosity sake, I google image searched "closed top boots"
Top-Quality-Satin-Upper-High-Heel-Closed-toes-Wedding-Boots-Wedding-Shoes-MB-0817-More-Colors-Available_fygcfc1326881338500.jpg

Sorry son. I know you look like a transexual while wearing these, but it's all the school allows :D

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Schools do this way too much. It's like what government does all the time also. Instead of just having a rule (or law in the case of government) and enforcing it with consequences, they must always try to prevent the undesired from happening as well. This normally leads to a bunch of highly unnecessary ticky-tack rules that usually doesn't solve anything and creates even more issues.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
For curiosity sake, I google image searched "closed top boots"
Top-Quality-Satin-Upper-High-Heel-Closed-toes-Wedding-Boots-Wedding-Shoes-MB-0817-More-Colors-Available_fygcfc1326881338500.jpg

Sorry son. I know you look like a transexual while wearing these, but it's all the school allows :D

This is a much better plan than the boot ban. "Any student found with a cell phone will be required to wear the Pretty Boots for the day."

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Schools do this way too much. It's like what government does all the time also. Instead of just having a rule (or law in the case of government) and enforcing it with consequences, they must always try to prevent the undesired from happening as well. This normally leads to a bunch of highly unnecessary ticky-tack rules that usually doesn't solve anything and creates even more issues.

Yup.

It's an issue I've discussed in these forums before. Rather than focusing on punishment for those who violate the law, we spend untold amounts of time and money attempting to prevent the law from ever being broken.

Regulation will never stop those intent on breaking the law. The most you can hope for is to punish those that actually do. Unfortunately in this country we seem to fail on every side: minor offenses seem bring down the full weight of the law, we don't stop the bad behavior from the worst offenders, and then we fail to punish them adequately.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Is there another kind? How do your put your feet in YOUR boots?

Are pockets banned at this school as well?

Damn, exactly my first two thoughts as well. (I actually googled "open top boots".)

Stupid rule.

Fern

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I was going to say that all "normal" boots are "open top" and would be banned but any sort of zip-up, skin-tight, stripper-style boot is a-ok in this school.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I was going to say that all "normal" boots are "open top" and would be banned but any sort of zip-up, skin-tight, stripper-style boot is a-ok in this school.

I'm betting the teen pregnancy rate at this school will rise as more women wear the skimpy tight knee high boots. Any takers?

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
It's a middle school.

I remember when I was 14. Some of my class mates were pretty damn hot.
ABC News says this girl Angie Varona was 14 when her pictures started showing up on the net. They're standard teen girl pics - wear something cute and take a picture in the mirror.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/an...net-sex-symbol/story?id=14882768#.TyeLHVzOxGM
ht_angie_varona_cyan_ll_111104_wg.jpg

Would you plow the hell out of that when you were 14? I probably wouldn't because I didn't grow up too fast, but I totally would if the opportunity came up.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

In my experience, they never bother to actually follow through with the punishment or enforce it unevenly so they conclude the punishment isn't working and then come up with something like this.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Stupid telling kids no phone in school anyway. Smart saying don't use it; keep it with you for after school/emergency, whatever, but no phones at all is dumb. Just enforce when they ues it.
Kids can't keep their hands off their cell phones. The school my wife works at has tried that this year after the school board was bashed into submission by the parents who were upset by the frequencey with which cell phones were confiscated (locker only rule. No cell phones allowed in the halls/classroom) They were tired of having to go pick up the phones from the office (So instead of fixing their kids they badgered the school board into submission)

Well - the confiscations have skyrocketed because the kids can't keep their hands off the cell phones they are now allowed to carry in their pockets/bookbags. It looks like the new rule will be changed back for next year

Many parents do not care - they think of the school as a day care center.

The school system also becomes crippled by fear of law suits from parents looking to make a name for themselves and pass the blame

And they want to cozy up to the parents to get re-elected

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Yup.

It's an issue I've discussed in these forums before. Rather than focusing on punishment for those who violate the law, we spend untold amounts of time and money attempting to prevent the law from ever being broken.

Regulation will never stop those intent on breaking the law. The most you can hope for is to punish those that actually do. Unfortunately in this country we seem to fail on every side: minor offenses seem bring down the full weight of the law, we don't stop the bad behavior from the worst offenders, and then we fail to punish them adequately.

That only works when a community as a whole supports enforcement of the laws or in the case of a school system the rules. Schools used to operate in that manner but no longer can because they are not supported by the parents of the students nor the pols on the school board when some incident happens at the school and gets sensationalized by the media or groups with an agenda. They are left to try and anticipate and react to every little thing students do with tons of paperwork and counseling etc. and part of that is to try and come up with rules for every possible variation of behavior students engage in that detract from class time and instruction otherwise internet lawyer parents will confront them with "But Johnny did X in this way while your rules say he must do X plus Y so my Johnny should not be held responsible". I am not defending the stupidity rather just stating how we have gotten to this point.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006

They are attempting to avoid upsetting the parents who get pissed off when the school 'bothers' them about their child breaking the rules. Definately does not mean this rule isn't stupid

In my experience, they never bother to actually follow through with the punishment or enforce it unevenly so they conclude the punishment isn't working and then come up with something like this.

Enforcing many school rules is like enforcing a return policy at a major retailer - there are a ton of ins and outs and ways around. Make a big enough fuss and you get the rule over turned. Not to mention the fact that you elect the bosses of the rule enforcers. You grab their ear hard enough and they will come down on your side. You get a principle who wants to be a super? He/she is going to try and buddy up to the voters (parents) and not make waves. Either that or you get someone who is so tired of being badgered by parents they will just give up if the parent makes a big enough fuss. You also get the race card that gets played a lot and will instantly have everyone tip toeing about the issue. Significantly more common than the race card is the lawsuit card.

It takes a special kind of person to evenly and consistantly distribute consequences when no child can ever do wrong by their parents and the parents don't value the free education their child has been provided with

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
OMG.

"Open top" are simply the ones with wide or loose tops that make it easy to slip stuff in.

You wear a pair of Timberlands and even if you do NOT lace the top, you will find it hard to keep a phone in there (the fit is tighter).

Again, semantics. Every kid that has been sneaking them in like that knows what boots they are talking about. "How am I going to get my foot in there if I cant have a "literally" open topped boot". GMAMFB.

What they need to come up with in the schools are phone detectors. Something that would scan and trace cell phones in the school so they can simply confiscate them if they are not left in the lockers or shut off during class.

But, the questions comes... Who would pay for them?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I remember when I was 14. Some of my class mates were pretty damn hot.
ABC News says this girl Angie Varona was 14 when her pictures started showing up on the net. They're standard teen girl pics - wear something cute and take a picture in the mirror.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/an...net-sex-symbol/story?id=14882768#.TyeLHVzOxGM
ht_angie_varona_cyan_ll_111104_wg.jpg

Would you plow the hell out of that when you were 14? I probably wouldn't because I didn't grow up too fast, but I totally would if the opportunity came up.

yeah. I remember we had a girl in school when i was 14 that could pass for 18+ easy. she was very hot and looked mature. She would brag how she was dateing college guys she meets. she would go to the college library and nobody would question it.

and yes i would plow the girl in the video when i was 14..

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
yeah. I remember we had a girl in school when i was 14 that could pass for 18+ easy. she was very hot and looked mature. She would brag how she was dateing college guys she meets. she would go to the college library and nobody would question it.

You knew that girl too? Man its a small world. :)

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
That only works when a community as a whole supports enforcement of the law
:thumbsup:
My gf experienced this first hand. She was the only white kid on an indian reserve. Telling the parents of bullies that their kids were miserable little shits had no effect because the parents didn't see anything wrong with their kid attacking a white girl.

This is why Asian kids are so well behaved. Their parents are crazier than you can imagine. They will beat the shit out of their kids for breaking any rule, even if the rule is one that should be broken or everyone else in the world is breaking it.