Pennsylvania Middle School Bans Boots

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Naked school soon?

1-29-2012

http://news.yahoo.com/pennsylvania-middle-school-bans-boots-211312705--abc-news.html

Pennsylvania Middle School Bans Boots

In a letter sent home to parents from principal Gail Cooper Wednesday, "open top boots" are banned in classrooms starting next Monday because students have been bringing in contraband items in their boots.

Under this rule, the ban would include the popular Uggs.

Students have been mainly hiding cell phones in their boots

he possession of personal electronic devices in school, including cell phones, is not permitted.

The school district does have a mandatory uniform for the middle school students. The school handbook devotes a section to proper attire that states shoes, boots and sneakers with matching-colored laces are permitted.

If a student does not comply, discipline can range from a reminder sent home to parents on the first offense to possible detention or suspensions at the principal's discretion for repeated offenses.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Kids find away around rules. Rules get stiffer. People complain. Raise kids properly and this BS goes away.

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
She is making over 120 k there is nowhere else she can make that kind of money. This type lives to cover their back end.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
There is an alternative. Any contraband found in the boots would be smashed immediately. That would end the practice.

gmaster456

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2011
Kids are crafty. Its like a security patch. The boot ban will stop contraband from coming in for a little while, but then a new vulnerability will be exploited. But banning boots, in the winter, in Pennsylvania is moronic to put it lightly.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Kids are crafty. Its like a security patch. The boot ban will stop contraband from coming in for a little while, but then a new vulnerability will be exploited. But banning boots, in the winter, in Pennsylvania is moronic to put it lightly.

Only open top boots are banned

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Seems like a little over the top to ban boots mid season. For some families, purchasing a new set of boots could be quite a hardship. They should simply tighten their policy with regard to the real issue: cell phones and other electronic devices. My suggestion - a policy that works - first time offense, it's sent to the office, parent has to pick it up (at which time, the rules are further explicitly explained to the parents.) 2nd offense, the item is kept until the end of the school year. Students will always test rules to see if they're serious; after a few iphones have been confiscated until the end of the school year, the rest of the students will take the warning and keep their devices in their lockers.

edit: ohhh, banned in the classroom, but not for walking to and from school? Fine with me! Get rid of all the boots with black soles that the kids drag on the floor that leave those pita scuff marks to remove while you're at it.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Seems like a little over the top to ban boots mid season. For some families, purchasing a new set of boots could be quite a hardship. They should simply tighten their policy with regard to the real issue: cell phones and other electronic devices. My suggestion - a policy that works - first time offense, it's sent to the office, parent has to pick it up (at which time, the rules are further explicitly explained to the parents.) 2nd offense, the item is kept until the end of the school year. Students will always test rules to see if they're serious; after a few iphones have been confiscated until the end of the school year, the rest of the students will take the warning and keep their devices in their lockers.

edit: ohhh, banned in the classroom, but not for walking to and from school? Fine with me! Get rid of all the boots with black soles that the kids drag on the floor that leave those pita scuff marks to remove while you're at it.

my kids school has kinda the same policy but nto for the same reason. phones are actually ok and there is not abuse.

but they have students change from boots to sneakers in teh hall to protect the floor and make less work for the janitor.

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
Well still doesn't beat the highs school I went to.
Any time the police would come in with dogs for a drug search they would announce it before hand.
Needless to say there was a lot of stuff getting flushed anytime it was announced.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Stupid telling kids no phone in school anyway. Smart saying don't use it; keep it with you for after school/emergency, whatever, but no phones at all is dumb. Just enforce when they ues it.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Stupid telling kids no phone in school anyway. Smart saying don't use it; keep it with you for after school/emergency, whatever, but no phones at all is dumb. Just enforce when they ues it.

I don't know if that's a good solution. From my observations, it would be like telling a crackhead in withdrawal that he can keep some crack in his pocket but can't use it until later. The kids I know cannot keep their hands off their phones. It's probably kinder to the kids to ban possession while in school than to let the kids keep them but ban usage.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
please feel free to point me to where i can get closed top boots

I would say any boot with strings towards the top that lets you tighten them to the skin.
Having said that, loosening those straps and slipping shit in and out would not be a hard task.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Rules in school often don't work.

When not followed and enforced by both the parents and the school administration.

Many parents do not care - they think of the school as a day care center.

The school system also becomes crippled by fear of law suits from parents looking to make a name for themselves and pass the blame

Jan 25, 2011
The constant semantics games in this forum are sad. Open top boots are a particular style. If you aren't familiar, look it up.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Many parents do not care - they think of the school as a day care center.

The school system also becomes crippled by fear of law suits from parents looking to make a name for themselves and pass the blame

It is not just that it is that the parents in many cases now join with their kid against the school system and administration. It is pretty much the exact opposite of when I was in school and the parents and school administration worked together.