Penn State or VTech? (poll)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
there is NO reason not to apply to purdue. NO essays are required, its rolling admission, its only like 10$ online.

it was absolutley easy and i knew i was accepted by like mid october my senior year.

MIKE

VTBigBear

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000
although im a VT graduate...

if you can get into Purdue.. go for it..

otherwise Penn or VT? hokies baby... (very biased opinion)

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
I've gotta put a plug in for Wisconsin :).

But seriously, I'd go to whichever is cheaper, they are both good schools.

<-- Comp E major at UW - Madison.

I believe we're supposed to be #15 for Comp E.

timosyy

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2003
Mm ... GMU is my backup =)

It's like .. 30 minutes away.

The only problem is .. asian community -_-. VTech is low enough (No one my parents know have gone any "lower"...)

=/

timosyy

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2003
Purdue .. I guess I might as well.

Tech is the same way .. no essays, no SAT II's ... haha -_-

I just hate their early decision. So binding.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Um with that stuff you listed set your sights a bit higher...Ohio State, Purdue, and Illinois are all going to be ranged higher than the two schools you listed. You probably won't get into Illinois (wouldn't hurt to apply though especially since you're asian and we had Nancy Cantor as chancellor until she went to terrorize Syracuse and have racial quotas for freshmen enrollment), but you should get into Ohio State and have a pretty decent chance at Purdue. And Purdue >>>>> Penn State and VTech for engineering.

Also decide what you want in a school. CMU is way freaking different from Penn State in regards to the social situation...CMU basically doesn't have one.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'd choose VT or PSU over Ohio State, if for nothing else but to avoid the slum that is Columbus.

Are you Vietnamese, timosyy? For some reason, I met more Vietnamese people in Blacksburg/Roanoke than anywhere else. I'm not sure exactly why...

timosyy

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2003
Triumph - Taiwanese =)

And I only took timosyy cause 'timosy' was already taken >_<. Blehh .. looks so weird written out with two y's.

If you don't get it, ask an asian immigrant to say "timothy" -_-

timosyy

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2003
Alright so I'm definately considering Purdue now .. if only because I might as well -_-

What do you think my chances are of getting in, though ? The engineering school ...

GPA+SAT+course selection in first post =p

Krk3561

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2002
I think you guys are all being too tough. I think you could get into any of the schools you listed, Ohio State, Purdue, and Illinois included. CMU maybe a reach, its still possible, apply anyways, you never know what happens.

wkabel23

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2003
I think you should look more into GT. Perhaps apply ED if you really like it but IMO its engineering and undergrad trumps VT and PSU.

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
I did PSU undergrad and I'm at VA Tech (northern virginia campus) for grad school in engineering now.

I'd suggest PSU undergrad. It's a great school.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Engineering? Why not Drexel? One of the top engineering programs in the nation, plus a quality co-op program.