Pelosi shuts down resolution on Michael Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200...losi_michael_jackson_9

Stuff like this just cannot be made up....

By SUZANNE GAMBOA, Associated Press Writers Suzanne Gamboa, Associated Press Writers ? Thu Jul 9, 3:41 pm ET

WASHINGTON ? House Speaker Nancy Pelosi shut the door Thursday to a resolution honoring Michael Jackson because debate on the symbolic measure could raise "contrary views" about the pop star's life.

Lawmakers are free to use House speeches "to express their sympathy or their praise any time that they wish," said Pelosi, D-Calif. "I don't think it's necessary for us to have a resolution."

A resolution sponsored by Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, cites some of the singer's charitable acts and proclaims him an American legend, musical icon and world humanitarian.

Even before Pelosi's comments, some Democrats said privately they did not support the resolution and a divisive debate would hurt House efforts to muster the votes for priorities such as health care and climate change.

Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., who posted a video on YouTube calling Michael Jackson a "pervert" and a "pedophile," has pledged to do all he could to block the resolution.

Michael Jackson was acquitted in 2005 of charges that he molested a 13-year-old boy. Those allegations, and his admission that children slept in his bed at his home but nothing sexual occurred, have led some members of Congress to put distance between themselves and any formal honor for the entertainer.

"A resolution, I think, would open up to contrary views to ? that are not necessary at this time to be expressed in association with a resolution whose purpose is quite different," Pelosi said at a Capitol Hill news conference where she discussed various legislative matters.

Unbowed, Jackson Lee said she will seek support from colleagues who thanked her when she introduced the measure June 26, one day after Michael Jackson died. She said honorary resolutions don't often "pass the next day."

"On this floor we elevate people and doing that we have to work to tell your story," she said after a House vote. But she would need support from Democratic leadership for the resolution to advance to the full House from the committee where it is now.

When members of the Congressional Black Caucus held a moment of silence in the House after Jackson died June 25, some lawmakers walked out of the chamber.

Jackson Lee has pledged that the resolution, now before the House Foreign Affairs Committee where she is a member, would come to the full House for debate. Such honorary measures normally move quickly from committee to the full House and pass on a voice vote.

But Jackson Lee's resolution was in trouble early. It drew only one co-sponsor, Rep. Diane Watson, D-Calif., AND WAS NOT ENDORSED BY OTHER BLACK CAUCUS MEMBERS
From the stage at Jackson's memorial Tuesday at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, Jackson Lee hoisted a framed copy of the resolution.

Just incredulous....
I think the most telling line was -- and was not endorsed by other black caucus members!!

have fun with this one..lol

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
nothing like the King of Penis talking shit about the King of Pop

Good Ol Republicans respecting the Rule Of Law..

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
she is saving her political capitol on the issue for shit like this to get a college playoff setup - that is what her prez wants...:disgust:

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
Originally posted by: dahunan
nothing like the King of Penis talking shit about the King of Pop

Good Ol Republicans respecting the Rule Of Law..

Nothing like the house majority actually getting sh!t done

oh wait...

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. This is one of those times Pelosi is right, it makes no sense for the democrats to start bickering over some stupid resolution that is meaningless anyway. There's no "upside" for them to push this resolution through.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Why is it congress had no problem homoring Elvis Presley in the congressional record. Remember Elvis actually comitted child molestation not just accused (Elvis was 24 and Priscilla was 14)

I doubt Peter King will ask for the recall of the Elvis stamp.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: HomerJS
Why is it congress had no problem homoring Elvis Presley in the congressional record. Remember Elvis actually comitted child molestation not just accused (Elvis was 24 and Priscilla was 14)

Back then women could be beaten by their husbands, too. A lot has changed in 60 years.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Nik
Originally posted by: HomerJS

Back then women could be beaten by their husbands, too. A lot has changed in 60 years.

In 1959 statutory rape was on the books as a crime. I don't see any Elvis detractors during the annual Graceland pilgrimage.

kotss

Oct 29, 2004
I do not see the need to honor any of these so called entertainers. Yes, thank you for any charitable contributions you have been involved in. But typically these are people with some dark skeletons in their closets that do not get balanced out by acts of charity. These people have lieved in the spotlight during their lives, let the light fade quickly.
It is disappointing that even one second of the governments time is spent even considering this.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Didn't many members of the house (on both sides) get up and walk out when some lady proposed the measure?

-edit-
doh, didn't read entire article.

Status
Not open for further replies.