Peer to peer network, MS-DOS application

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Need some general guidance: at a small business, we're using a very old MS-DOS based invoicing software on two PCs. The hardware is a very old coaxial based network card, similar to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Network_card.jpg
I believe it uses Lantastic software to network the two computers.

We'd like to migrate to Windows based PCs with some more modern hardware. Trying to reach out to the software vendor hasn't been helpful and we'd like to avoid large investments in new software.

I know my details are sparse, but any general guidance would be helpful. TIA!

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
Take a look at the root of the C: drive (C:\), look for a file called config.sys, and post the contents of that file, if it exits.

MikeShunt

Jun 21, 2007
hmmmm, why not use virtual PC with an MS DOS disk image.

you wont have to worry about windows compatability issues (as you effectivly running the apps on a complete DOS OS) but you will need to get the apps working with the virtual network adapter virtual PC uses.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Why do you need that particular invoicing software? It would probably be simpler and cheaper in the long run to get something recent and still supported.

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Originally posted by: MikeShunt

you wont have to worry about windows compatability issues (as you effectivly running the apps on a complete DOS OS) but you will need to get the apps working with the virtual network adapter virtual PC uses.

Networking in the MS-DOS era / world is a bit different than Windows because the drivers are all .sys files in config.sys. Even in a VM, you would need the older 16 bit dos stacks and would need to see if it is even compatible. The card he linked could be a 10mbit thinnet or token ring (does the card look like it has a serial port on it?)

Anyway the program could be using any number of methods to communicate which may not be TCP/IP or even IPX.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Nothinman
Why do you need that particular invoicing software? It would probably be simpler and cheaper in the long run to get something recent and still supported.

This software is necessary because it's a dry cleaning POS system. buying new software would be too expensive (not to mention training, since the users are quite used to the current software).

I will work on getting the config.sys file for review.

thanks, all.

ScottMac

Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: imagoon
Originally posted by: MikeShunt

Networking in the MS-DOS era / world is a bit different than Windows because the drivers are all .sys files in config.sys. Even in a VM, you would need the older 16 bit dos stacks and would need to see if it is even compatible. The card he linked could be a 10mbit thinnet or token ring (does the card look like it has a serial port on it?)

Anyway the program could be using any number of methods to communicate which may not be TCP/IP or even IPX.

Lantastic was basically an Ethernet NIC and Frame, but it was not an Ethernet II frame type, IIRC, Lantastic had their own frame type number (like Novell was 8137).

Once we see the config.sys it might be easier to see how ugly it's going to be. We might be able to sneak in another NIC (i.e., Ethernet) if we can find the right LANMAN drivers. Anyone know if Clarkson still does packet drivers?

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
config.sys

DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH
FILES=100
LASTDRIVE=Z
BUFFERS=30

autoexec.bat
C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
call C:\LANTASTI\STARTNET.BAT
F:
CD CLEAN
COPYMWX MORE
CLEAN

"CLEAN" is the name of the software

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Well with Lantastic it becomes a craps shoot really. It *might* run inside a windows based DOS window using the what appears to be the last version of Lantastic released (8.01 ?). You can still buy it but it is now considered a Final release / no more development product line.

The other thing is, you may find that it doesn't need Lantastic at all and can run over TCP/IP (via windows handling it / SMB etc). The batch file appears to start the network, then map a drive. The program is then called from the drive. You might be able to do the same in a dos window. Just remember that this is prob a 16-bit app so no 64-bit versions of Windows. The life of this program might be pretty much dated.

Get a couple of test machines, take a copy of the app and try it?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Seems to me that it more of a Business decision rather than Networking.

If One is in the delivery business (as an example) insisting on using a "Horse and a Wagon" would Not help the business ;)

They probably can print (intercept) all the info to txt, csv, pdf, or what ever usable format.

Set a new system, put the pdf files on the hard drive. Index the content, and insert manually, the parts that are still relevant as they go on according to the needs.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: iamme
Originally posted by: Nothinman

This software is necessary because it's a dry cleaning POS system. buying new software would be too expensive (not to mention training, since the users are quite used to the current software).

I will work on getting the config.sys file for review.

thanks, all.

my dad runs a drycleaners and upgraded last year from a dos-based system running coaxial ethernet with lantastic. we absolutely couldnt find anyone to service the systems anymore when we had problems.

he had to bite the bullet and upgrade his hardware and software, i think it cost $2K or so by the time we were done, maybe $2500, but the new software, while not great, is an update to the old stuff we used so the transition wasnt too painful.

what are you guys looking at in terms of money to have to upgrade everything?

ScottMac

Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: iamme
config.sys

DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH
FILES=100
LASTDRIVE=Z
BUFFERS=30

autoexec.bat
C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
call C:\LANTASTI\STARTNET.BAT
F:
CD CLEAN
COPYMWX MORE
CLEAN

"CLEAN" is the name of the software

Please also provide the "StartNet.bat" file ... I'm trying to see the names of the drivers, and to see if other auxillary drivers are also loaded (like for netbios or tcp/ip).

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I ran into a similar problem with a friend that had a rental business. The software was written to run on a 386sx16 cpu and it was thoroughly integrated into various parts of the business. We tried to replace the pc with a newer p4 cpu. If we ran it in pure dos mode it worked but crashed out. If we ran it in an emulator like vmware it worked but the licensing scheme for the software wouldn't register the dongle on the parallel port. I spent about 2 weeks cracking the protection scheme before it would run . Then once it was up and running the program still had issues using the network to communicate with other systems. After about two months of trying to make the old system work we ended up moving the whole system to quickbooks software. Sometimes it cost more to try not to upgrade than it does to upgrade.

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Modelworks
I ran into a similar problem with a friend that had a rental business. The software was written to run on a 386sx16 cpu and it was thoroughly integrated into various parts of the business. We tried to replace the pc with a newer p4 cpu. If we ran it in pure dos mode it worked but crashed out. If we ran it in an emulator like vmware it worked but the licensing scheme for the software wouldn't register the dongle on the parallel port. I spent about 2 weeks cracking the protection scheme before it would run . Then once it was up and running the program still had issues using the network to communicate with other systems. After about two months of trying to make the old system work we ended up moving the whole system to quickbooks software. Sometimes it cost more to try not to upgrade than it does to upgrade.

Heh been there also. Normally I am good with the "try it and see" method but as soon as it becomes a 'project' I push back and tell them it is more cost effective to upgrade. Funny thing is that I have been told that IT spending overall is down.