Pediatricians get more firm when parents refuse vaccines

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health...-firm-when-parents-refuse-vaccines/53498584/1

"We want you to feel if you're in our waiting room that you are safe," Lillard said. "By that I mean if you have to come in for a sick visit and you are sitting in the waiting room next to a child that has a rash, we want you to feel pretty comfortable knowing that's probably not measles. If you are in our practice, you've been vaccinated against measles and you're not going to be exposed to that."

Good Job Doc...

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Lauren Fant looks pretty flat chested for an 18 year old.

On the plus side she's just gotten her third and final HPV vaccine so she's good to go!

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I can understand that. Doctors need to emphasize that the dangers of vaccination, while not zero, are vastly less than the dangers of the diseases they prevent. It's like commuting to work via giant slingshot because you've heard that cars are so dangerous.

It's worth pointing out though that the biggest source of unvaccinated children is not parents who have consciously made that decision, but rather illegal aliens.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Good Job Doc...

Why is that a good job?

Just because someone got vaccinated, that does not mean they can not catch the disease.

Do some research into recent outbreaks of measles. The majority of the kids that got sick were fully vaccinated.

Part of my job is disease surveillance. The majority of the disease reports I see, the kids are fully vaccinated, but they still get sick - especially with chicken pox. I have had the vaccine record in one hand, talking to the parent on the phone, and the kid was fully vaccinated. Then there is the parent asking me why their kids got sick.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Why is that a good job?

Just because someone got vaccinated, that does not mean they can not catch the disease.

Do some research into recent outbreaks of measles. The majority of the kids that got sick were fully vaccinated.

Part of my job is disease surveillance. The majority of the disease reports I see, the kids are fully vaccinated, but they still get sick - especially with chicken pox. I have had the vaccine record in one hand, talking to the parent on the phone, and the kid was fully vaccinated. Then there is the parent asking me why their kids got sick.

So like Oprah Winfrey you are condoning not vaccinating children...you do know she was shouted down over that stoopid statement she made....

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
So like Oprah Winfrey you are condoning not vaccinating children...you do know she was shouted down over that stoopid statement she made....

Negative, I never said it was ok "not" to vaccinate children.

From the OP,

"By that I mean if you have to come in for a sick visit and you are sitting in the waiting room next to a child that has a rash, we want you to feel pretty comfortable knowing that's probably not measles. If you are in our practice, you've been vaccinated against measles and you're not going to be exposed to that."

In other words, if someone gets a vaccine its going to be 100% effective, which is misleading.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Negative, I never said it was ok "not" to vaccinate children.

From the OP,

In other words, if someone gets a vaccine its going to be 100% effective, which is misleading.

What on earth is this supposed to mean? That because vaccines aren't perfect we should focus on the failures?

Seat belts aren't 100% effective, either. So by your logic, whenever we're confronted with a campaign to increase the use of seat belts, we should focus on the people who die while wearing seat belts and stress that seat belts aren't 100% effective.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Anybody care to speculate whether it's Democrats or Republican that are the majority who do not vaccinate?

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Anybody care to speculate whether it's Democrats or Republican that are the majority who do not vaccinate?

Anti-vaccination people tend to cross both lines. On the Left side you have earth-muffins who beleive in holistic medicine, on the Right you tend to get a mix of "this is ARE country" and "Jesus will heal it" types. Then in the middle you have crazy people who think vaccines are actually used to enslave the populace so the lizard people will take over.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Anti-vaccination people tend to cross both lines. On the Left side you have earth-muffins who beleive in holistic medicine, on the Right you tend to get a mix of "this is ARE country" and "Jesus will heal it" types. Then in the middle you have crazy people who think vaccines are actually used to enslave the populace so the lizard people will take over.

Well, my niece is an earth muffin and it took me about 10 minutes to talk her out of that shit. Naturally the credit belongs to her reasoning skills and not my persuasiveness, but just saying. You are not going to talk a Jesus freak out of anything, even saving the life of their kid. In short, if you are right and the numbers compare, give me earth muffins any day. My niece is wonderful and so so kind to me.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
What on earth is this supposed to mean? That because vaccines aren't perfect we should focus on the failures?

We should not focus on failures, because vaccines have helped eradicate diseases all over the world, small pox for an example.

But then again, doctors should not be spreading 1/2 truths.

The doctors statement in the OP implies that if a child is vaccinated, they will not catch the disease, and that simply is not true.

During the recent whooping cough outbreak in California, the majority of the children that contracted whooping cough were fully vaccinated.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/09/vaccine-response-pertussis/
“The vast majority of these were fully-vaccinated children,” Dr. David Witt, the medical center’s chief of infectious diseases, said in a press briefing during the meeting. “That was the surprise.”

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

The doctors statement in the OP implies that if a child is vaccinated, they will not catch the disease, and that simply is not true.
Nothing in medicine has 100% efficacy and it seems the doctor in question knows that...

"we want you to feel pretty comfortable knowing that's probably not measles"

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
We should not focus on failures, because vaccines have helped eradicate diseases all over the world, small pox for an example.

During the recent whooping cough outbreak in California, the majority of the children that contracted whooping cough were fully vaccinated.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/09/vaccine-response-pertussis/

What part of
comfortable knowing that's probably not measles
implies 100% guarantee? Furthermore, it isn't required for 100% of the population to be vaccinated to provide protection. And, it's known that not 100% of the vaccinations are effective. Nonetheless, as long as a the percent of the population is above a certain threshold, (which varies as a function of the transmissibility of the disease, duration of sickness, duration that the infected person can pass the illness before exhibiting symptoms, etc..) then the disease really doesn't spread. Now, let's say that we knew (and I'm just making this number up) that whooping cough wouldn't really spread if 92% of the population has immunity, but 6% of the immunizations aren't effective. That leaves a cushion of a couple percent. However, as you increase the number of dolts who don't get immunized, the disease is able to gain more of a foothold and spread, particularly to those who are immunized and whose immunizations weren't effective.

RedString

Feb 24, 2011

Seat belts aren't 100% effective, either. So by your logic, whenever we're confronted with a campaign to increase the use of seat belts, we should focus on the people who die while wearing seat belts and stress that seat belts aren't 100% effective.

Derp much? He's saying we shouldn't tell people you won't be hurt in an accident because you're wearing a seat belt. Same for vaccine, don't put it out there like it will keep you from getting the disease, explain it greatly lowers your chance but you still can get it.

I didn't see anything saying we should start stressing how they're not completely effective, just that we shouldn't say they are. That would be lying ofc.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
What part of implies 100% guarantee?

Lets put the doctor in California, and lets change his statement to

comfortable knowing that cough is probably not pertussis / whooping cough

One of the issues facing new doctors, once common childhood illnesses are so rare that new doctors have probably never seen a real life case.

The doctors statement,

"We want you to feel if you're in our waiting room that you are safe,"

is providing his patients with a false sense of security.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000

This made me LOL.... so true though.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I can understand that. Doctors need to emphasize that the dangers of vaccination, while not zero, are vastly less than the dangers of the diseases they prevent. It's like commuting to work via giant slingshot because you've heard that cars are so dangerous.

It's worth pointing out though that the biggest source of unvaccinated children is not parents who have consciously made that decision, but rather illegal aliens.

Good analogy. I may have to steal this.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
What part of implies 100% guarantee? Furthermore, it isn't required for 100% of the population to be vaccinated to provide protection. And, it's known that not 100% of the vaccinations are effective. Nonetheless, as long as a the percent of the population is above a certain threshold, (which varies as a function of the transmissibility of the disease, duration of sickness, duration that the infected person can pass the illness before exhibiting symptoms, etc..) then the disease really doesn't spread. Now, let's say that we knew (and I'm just making this number up) that whooping cough wouldn't really spread if 92% of the population has immunity, but 6% of the immunizations aren't effective. That leaves a cushion of a couple percent. However, as you increase the number of dolts who don't get immunized, the disease is able to gain more of a foothold and spread, particularly to those who are immunized and whose immunizations weren't effective.

What Dr.Pizza is talking about is herd immunity. Wiki has a chart of thresholds according to the disease.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Don't you have better things to do than to argue about vaccines... say, reloading brass?

Reloading is not practical for long term storage. A couple of months ago I opened a box of reloads that had been stored for about 13 years. The brass casing had started to corrode, while the nickle casings were fine.