PDA?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: npoe1
Thanks for the advices, but what is the best and cheaper PDA that I can have, an Axim or maybe other one?

I?m willing to spend at most like $400, but I want to make a good choice, so the cheaper the better but I don?t want to get something useless.

Buy the Dell Axim x51v.

Apparently you can buy them for around $360 on eBay with 2GB SD.

Dec 4, 2002
Nothing wrong with PDA phones. Just have to make sure you get one with no bugs. For something running windows...might be hard to do...but there are some quality devices out there.

HP HW6515
-Built in GPS
-(2) SDIO card slots for up to 6GB of storage
-Touchscreen
-Thin
-Sync POP3 email
-Sync Outlook, Word, and Excel files.

Since these can be had for $300 or less on ebay, I see no reason to spend that much on just a PDA. A PDA for the same price will have more built in memory, and a faster processor. The HP isn't slow though.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: swtethan
Originally posted by: npoe1
What is the problem with the PDA phone?

aside from it:

1. not being pocketable
2. weird to hold as phone without bluetooth
3. bad signal (3 vs 5 bars in same location)
4. people call in when in the middle of doing stuff on PDA
5. dont know if im on a call vs flip phone you close it, its ended
6. akward using IE to brows, websites arent scaled down.

1. It's much easier to pocket one device than two.
2. Weird to hold sure, but typing out SMS on a dialpad is even more awkward.
3. You must have used the wrong smartphones.
4. Its a lot easier to press a button than to have to dig out an entire other device while using your PDA.
5. Use your brain.
6. Problem with any PDA.

I'd recommend against getting a PDA that isnt also a phone, and doesnt have a keyboard. Just about everyone I know that has ever bought a PDA that didnt absolutely *NEED* it for business stopped carrying it around, because it was just one more thing to carry, that rarely got used.

Whereas with the smartphone, you've got one device to carry, and a keyboard pwns when typing stuff out. I absolutely *hate* using the stylus.

My favorite smartphone will always be the sidekick. It isnt the most powerful or expandable device, but it does what it does so damn well all that can be overlooked.