[PCPer] Frame Rating: High End GPUs Benchmarked at 4K Resolutions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Interesting test. I wonder what driver they were using for the Radeons? Would be interesting to see if the new prototype driver fixes a lot of the runt frame issues.

EDIT: They are using the 13.5 beta for the 7970, and the prototype for the 7990.

Last edited:

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Thanks for the responses guys. Now that I think about it, when playing with my Phenom II with max settings it would dip down to the 40's and it was very noticeable when comparing it to the 60 FPS mark. Post FX would kill that poor Phenom II...

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I guess the stutter would be more evident without vsync enabled? Games tears really bad without it.

Who actually plays with Vsync disabled??

Unless your into competitive FPS and I mean people that actually make money from it.

Or too blind to see image tearing.

yuck!

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Even at 120hz I would make sure I have the GPU power to push 120hz with vsync on.

And save the name calling for your boyfriend.

If you can't maintain the refresh of your monitor, it is usually best to not use v-sync. If the monitors refresh rate is 30hz, you might need the extra responsiveness of higher FPS, even if it is only updating at 30hz, but those partial slices are getting updated much more often, as it works its way down the screen.

It is also next to impossible to reach 120 FPS in some games that are more CPU bound.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
If you can't maintain the refresh of your monitor, it is usually best to not use v-sync. If the monitors refresh rate is 30hz, you might need the extra responsiveness of higher FPS, even if it is only updating at 30hz, but those partial slices are getting updated much more often, as it works its way down the screen.

It is also next to impossible to reach 120 FPS in some games that are more CPU bound.

Thats why 60hz gaming will always win.

Only old games can run 120fps due to the CPU limits.

Companies need to focus on low latency Vsync solutions and keeping input lag in the single digits.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013

Companies need to focus on low latency Vsync solutions and keeping input lag in the single digits.

You keep thinking that, way to stand your ground.

I'll keep avoiding nausea with a 120hz monitor and 80+ FPS.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
You keep thinking that, way to stand your ground.

I'll keep avoiding nausea with a 120hz monitor and 80+ FPS.

There is no nausea. Screen tearing is significantly worse than anything else.

I find it funny when people say something is good but also completely ignore the problem with screen tearing.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
There is no nausea. Screen tearing is significantly worse than anything else.

I find it funny when people say something is good but also completely ignore the problem with screen tearing.

Nausea is something some people experience for various reasons. For me, it appears to be associated with latency, which higher FPS help correct. I find at 30 FPS vomit inducing sickness happens rapidly, at 60, it takes longer, but it always sneaks up on me after 30-60 mins. It takes 80+ FPS to go away.

And screen tearing is not a problem unless it bothers you. It is also significantly less on a 120hz monitor.

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
Nausea is something some people experience for various reasons. For me, it appears to be associated with latency, which higher FPS help correct. I find at 30 FPS vomit inducing sickness happens rapidly, at 60, it takes longer, but it always sneaks up on me after 30-60 mins. It takes 80+ FPS to go away.

And screen tearing is not a problem unless it bothers you. It is also significantly less on a 120hz monitor.

You must not be able to watch TV or movies then either.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002

Good point.

For me personally I would rather invest money into a gpu upgrade to meet that 60fps requirement than to play with image tearing and vsync off. You are also correct that cpu bottlenecking can screw you regardless if you have a Dual titan SLI setup.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
You must not be able to watch TV or movies then either.

Do we have to go through this again, you ignorant fool?

I've explained this to you before. TV's don't have input latency issues to deal with. Videos don't have input latency to deal with. It is an issue with moving the mouse and needing feed back fast and smooth, otherwise I get nausea.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002

This is not a problem that I share.

how do you game on a console which is capped at 30fps?

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
This is not a problem that I share.

how do you game on a console which is capped at 30fps?

I don't, except on rare occasions with friends or family.

However, the problem is associated with the mouse's more real time input methods. Joystick controlled games don't give me the same issue, at least not as fast. (I honestly have never gamed on a console for longer than a few minutes at a time).

RTS games don't bother me with low FPS. It has to be first person or over the shoulder games with a mouse controlled view to give me the symptoms of motion sickness with low FPS.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
You guys get that much tearing with vsync off?

I get some tearing when I move e/w when looking at static objects closely, but when I'm actually playing I have little to no problems with tears with vsync is off.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002

I get some tearing when I move e/w when looking at static objects closely, but when I'm actually playing I have little to no problems with tears with vsync is off.

From what i've personally noticed with my eyes your frame per second need to have a large range for you to notice it.

So if my lows are 40 my average is 50 and max fps is 60 fps I don't notice it as much.

But if my Low's are 30 average is 70 and highs are 100+ I notice it right away.

Its also game dependent some are better than others with vsync off.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007

I don't. I've never played with even adaptive Vsync. I just leave it off, so I can still get the benefit of reduced latency when going beyond my monitor's refresh rate.

Just another advantage of having (high) smooth frame delivery. :thumbsup:

djsb

Jun 14, 2011

Depends on the context of the game. If you're in first person walking down a hallway, the pixels on the screen aren't actually too different from frame to frame, so it's hard to notice tears even when they happen. On the other hand if there's suddenly a violent camera shake from side to side (earthquake, explosion, etc) you'll notice every tear even if it's not very frequent.

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
Even at 120hz I would make sure I have the GPU power to push 120hz with vsync on.

And save the name calling for your boyfriend.

You asked "Who actually plays with Vsync disabled??" And I told you: people with 120Hz monitors who maintain more than 60fps without going past 120fps. Such people (and I am one of them) do not NEED vsync because there's no screen tearing problem to be solved...it's not too hard to get one's head around

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012

Another person who seems to assume that games can only be played 'maxxed out.' You can run new games at 90-120fps on a single card by...wait for it...turning DOWN some settings. Eye candy is nice, but I'll take Med/High settings & no AA over Ultra & high AA any day of the week, if it means 90-120fps instead of 45-60fps.

Just because review sites bench graphics cards on near-max settings with a good 4xMSAA does NOT mean that's the only way to game.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Yeah my next screen will be 120+, IPS or not. However I've never had problems with screen tears expect in a few games like WoW even when I was running 470 SLI.

I notice stutter, it makes me sick, but either I notice and don't care or simply don't notice it as much as I should, or even it's just not as prevalent as some others are experiencing it. It could be a person to person thing, maybe even hardware (screen/mouse polling) that effects it, I really don't know.

All I know is the only reason I've ever used limiters or vsync was too reduce the heat on my setup. It's not something I like to do, but to each their own.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
You asked "Who actually plays with Vsync disabled??" And I told you: people with 120Hz monitors who maintain more than 60fps without going past 120fps. Such people (and I am one of them) do not NEED vsync because there's no screen tearing problem to be solved...it's not too hard to get one's head around

So if your on a 120hz monitor and you have a gpu system that is powerful enough how do you prevent it from going over 120fps with v-sync off?

Someone else pointed out alot of people with 120hz monitors play older games to achieve said frame rate.

Older games will easily pump out 200fps if you let them.

So is there no visable screen tearing if your at 200fps on a 120hz monitor with v-sync off?