[PCPer] Frame Rating: High End GPUs Benchmarked at 4K Resolutions

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
There is screen tearing. I personally will use adaptive v-sync most the time, but those looking for the most responsive feel, leave it off, and live with the tearing.

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
So if your on a 120hz monitor and you have a gpu system that is powerful enough how do you prevent it from going over 120fps with v-sync off?

Someone else pointed out alot of people with 120hz monitors play older games to achieve said frame rate.

Older games will easily pump out 200fps if you let them.

So is there no visable screen tearing if your at 200fps on a 120hz monitor with v-sync off?

If I go above 120fps then yes, absolutely. But I'm gaming at 1440p, and my single 7970 only gets about 70-100fps at that resolution in pretty much all the games I've played in the past year (e.g., Deus Ex: HR, Skyrim, Tomb Raider, Crysis 1 and 2 - again, NOT 'maxxed' out - Borderlands 2 etc.).

The only exception I remember was Portal 1. In that game I easily went above 120fps. This led to screen tearing, which led to me using vsync. But it was the exception, not the rule

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
So if your on a 120hz monitor and you have a gpu system that is powerful enough how do you prevent it from going over 120fps with v-sync off?

Someone else pointed out alot of people with 120hz monitors play older games to achieve said frame rate.

Older games will easily pump out 200fps if you let them.

So is there no visable screen tearing if your at 200fps on a 120hz monitor with v-sync off?

A lot of games have a built in frame cap that you can turn on. Although it is sometimes buried in some config file.

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
I can't imagine wanting to put a 50 inch TV on my desk. Surround at least gave me peripheral vision but I struggle to focus on all of a 24" screen let alone one that has a diagonal twice that. Seeing as how todays monitors are fairly close to the "retina" standard of PPD it doesn't look like we really need to go up to 4x as many pixels in the same space, more like +40%. This TV standard is likely going to stay in big TVs for quite a while. Thus the 30 fps isn't going to be that big of a problem.

Using the retina calculation involving viewing distance 2560x1440 27" is 80% retina, this calculation is based on the fact that someone has 20/20 eyesight so probably for me this resolution on my monitor is just right.

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
DP can carry audio too. Unfortunately a DP cable won't fit in your receivers HDMI ports.

True, but DP-to-HDMI cables (without adapters) are quiet common. I daresay we will see DP1.2-to-HDMI2.0 cables within the next year or so, and these in principle would allow graphics cards without HDMI to drive 4K televisions...though 4K monitors that accept DP input would be even better

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You asked "Who actually plays with Vsync disabled??" And I told you: people with 120Hz monitors who maintain more than 60fps without going past 120fps. Such people (and I am one of them) do not NEED vsync because there's no screen tearing problem to be solved...it's not too hard to get one's head around

People don't get their head around it because it's factually wrong. You'll get frame tearing +120 fps and you'll get frame tearing sub 120 fps. The monitor will display whatever gets haphazardly thrown into the framebuffer regardless of what the framerate is. Granted, the lower the framerate, the better chance you'll get less overlapping frames in the framebuffer. The problem still exists though.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
People don't get their head around it because it's factually wrong. You'll get frame tearing +120 fps and you'll get frame tearing sub 120 fps. The monitor will display whatever gets haphazardly thrown into the framebuffer regardless of what the framerate is. Granted, the lower the framerate, the better chance you'll get less overlapping frames in the framebuffer. The problem still exists though.

The tearing has less time to displayed on a 120hz monitor so the jumps between frames are much less noticeable. That's the reason why there is this myth that there is no tearing on 120hz displays.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002

This was my understanding aswell of the situation but there seems to be a difference of opinion on the forum based on some of the replies thus far.

Black Octagon

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2012
Ok I'll rephrase. The minimal screen tearing that exists below 120fps is so minor and quick that my eyes only notice it if I look for it. Yes, that means that above 120fps with vsync feels no better.

Above 120fps without vsync or a frame rate limiter is another story, however.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
The tearing has less time to displayed on a 120hz monitor so the jumps between frames are much less noticeable. That's the reason why there is this myth that there is no tearing on 120hz displays.

That is pretty accurate from my experience.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Looks like HDMI 1.4's 30Hz limitation at 4K resolution isn't a major problem yet since the hardware can barely hit 30fps anyway :D

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
So all current Displayport 1.2 equipped videocards (like the Titan) can output 3840×2160 @ 60Hz, correct?

So it makes me wonder why they just don't add a displayport to such displays as the Seiki? Or are the electronics in the panel not capable of handling over 30Hz?

Feb 19, 2009

Exactly. Tearing exists but most people wont notice it since its in the sub 10ms range.

Also according to that review: "The only downside I have found in my time with the TV as a gaming monitor thus far is with the 30 Hz refresh rate and Vsync disabled situations."

"I would likely recommend enabling Vsync for a tear-free experience on this TV once you are happy with performance levels, but obviously for our testing we wanted to keep it off to gauge performance of these graphics cards."

Pretty retarded to play with all that screen tearing to achieve non-visible higher frame rates to the eyes (30hz limit on these 4k tvs is good for TV but useless for gaming).

I wonder how much the 60hz units will cost.

Edit: Id like to add, for all the nay-sayers about the lack of need for more GPU power cos PC games stagnate.. well, 1080p is obsolete. Lots of high end gamers are moving to 1440p or 1600p and soon, 4k. Even two of today's fastest GPU struggle when we bump up the resolution.

Last edited:

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
So all current Displayport 1.2 equipped videocards (like the Titan) can output 3840×2160 @ 60Hz, correct?

So it makes me wonder why they just don't add a displayport to such displays as the Seiki? Or are the electronics in the panel not capable of handling over 30Hz?

It is a TV, so they really only care about TV requirements. I'm sure when monitors versions are made, displayport will be included.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
DP doesn't have the DRM that the industry loves, that's why you are stuck with HDMI at 30hz and don't have a 60hz DP solution.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
DP doesn't have the DRM that the industry loves, that's why you are stuck with HDMI at 30hz and don't have a 60hz DP solution.

Interesting, because my videocard is hooked up to my Dell U2711 over DP and the Nvidia control panel shows it as being HDCP compatible.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Interesting, because my videocard is hooked up to my Dell U2711 over DP and the Nvidia control panel shows it as being HDCP compatible.

Doesn't mean much unless you also happen to be streaming TruHD/Dolby Master through it.