PCIe support for Graphics Card and PCIe SSD

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
I'm strongly considering the deals on the 4970 as making this a decent time to upgrade. However, I'm wondering how the PCIe slot situation would work on a Z97 with a video card and some form of PCIe SSD in the long term. Would there be enough lanes on a motherboard to keep those both fully fed, and would there be any wrinkles in making that work that I'd have to keep aware of? Would it work with any Z97 or only a certain few?

Thanks, I'm really not clear on how this sort of thing is handled, so I'm not really sure what the numbers I looked up are saying.

Addendum: Yes I am cool with the prospect of buying an adaptor card in the future.

Last edited:

CoPhotoGuy

Nov 16, 2014
Depends on the board.

On my MB, one of the PCIe slots is disabled when using the M.2 Ultra slot - basically the same as if you put an M.2/NGFF SSD in a PCIe adapter.

You will still have enough lanes to run a GPU in x16 and technically you could go to x16/x8/x8 I believe on some boards in a 3-way SLI (some may be limited to x8/x8/x8). Performance wise you shouldn't see much difference really. x8 I believe is 20Gbps bandwidth which is a ton of data.