pcie sound card that supports DD/DTS decode?

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
Doesn't even have to be official drivers, since I know there's some kind of weird DRM issue going on with Windows 7...

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
what software??? I've been looking, but can't find :(

basically, just so I can plug in my PS3/PS4/Xbox One without an extra receiver, that ends up being a huge thing that I have to find space for..

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
trying to plug in my PS3 into my Sound Blaster Z soundcard via Toslink (optical) so it can decode the DTS/DD 5.1 that my PS3 sends through. The easy solution would be to purchase a Receiver (or get a Z-5500) but I really like my edifier 5.1, and it doesn't have a 5.1 decoder. If I get a DD5.1, I have to encode the audio stream in either DD or DTS, and i'll have lag when I Play games like rocksmith (though there is lag already, it'll be even worse) And not only that, my Sound Blaster Z only has a optical out, and optical in, so does the PS3 or PS4. This means that the DD5.1 only has 1 optical in and 1 Coax in.

Anyways, it's a huge mess. and the DD5.1 is the only thing that'll fit on my desk. I don't have room for a receiver.

It would be easy as hell if creative/Windows had custom drivers for their SBZ so that DD/DTS 5.1 decode can be enabled. It use to be on WinXP via SB Audigy 2 and X-fi Via Win XP. Maybe the Daniel K drivers in vista. But not win 7 at all... no sound card has it.

SammichPG

Aug 16, 2012
http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=107680

The sound card does not support SPDIF-In pass through; i.e. takes in Dolby or DTS signal from Optical-In and outputs through Optical-Out. However, normal SPDIF pass-through from software such as WinDVD to Optical Out can still be achieved.
For gaming console such as the Xbox 360 and PlayStation3 connected to the Optical-In of the sound card, the audio settings have to be configured to run PCM Audio.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I'm gonna be honest here, some people have some really weird, convoluted, unnecessary audio setups. I know a guy on IRC that has a PS4 optical connected to an expensive optical-in->analog rca out connected to an RCA->minijack plug that's connected to a minijack Y cable. The other half of the Y cable is connected to the analog output of a PS3. He connects this whole mess into the microphone input(!) on his computer so he can use headphones.

And then he complains about how noisy (humming, hissing) the audio signal is.

Blows my mind.

I'm sorry OP, I can't help you with your problem.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
no problem, I'm trying to eliminate equipment as it is, yeah sure, get a receiver and boom, we're all happy! But these cards are more than capable of out putting DD/DTS. Just wonder why not pay the license and have it, and charge more for the card?

Hell if DTS/Dolby, or even Yamaha came out with an audio card that fits into your PCIe slot, that'll do hardware decode, I'll buy one.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I think it's more of a case that not enough people would buy/use it. About the only piece of consumer level hardware I can think of in recent memory that had hardware DD/DTS encoding in real-time was the nForce 2's audio chip.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
all the new audio cards are capable of DTS/DD encoding in real time. The trick here is the Decoding part, which makes your audio card like a receiver.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
all the new audio cards are capable of DTS/DD encoding in real time. The trick here is the Decoding part, which makes your audio card like a receiver.

I honestly had no idea about that. I still use a Chaintec AV710 because of the Wolfson DACs. I haven't kept up on soundcard technology at all.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
it's all good, encoding allows you to connect your audio card to a receiver, and output into DD or DTS 5.1/7.1 -- depending on your speaker configuration. Software DVD players like Cyberlink DVD offer software decode, but that's only during play back of a movie.

It seems to me all someone needs to do is make a "Receiver Software" and just launch it when you play your PS3 or PS4 or Xbox or whatever.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Consumer desire for this is close to zero, so nobody's going to waste money doing it. That's all there is to it.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
HDMI uses pass through Digital HD Sound. It depends on a receiver or a TV or whatever to produce the sound.

Optical out is compressed Audio.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
I only have a 5.1 system, and it's better than stereo.. Plus I don't have any receivers that does lossless audio..