PCIe 6-pin: Pin #5 is tapered or square?

richard612

Mar 21, 2006
I need to buy a molex to 6-pin adapter to use a new Asus GTX-460 with my older PS. I noticed that some people were having trouble with these adapters, specifically with pin-5 being the wrong shape.

Does anyone know which one of these PCIe connections is on the ASUS card? I can't just look at the card because it hasn't arrived yet. :D

1231906876_JiadK-O.jpg

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Looking at the pic on newegg and zooming in all the way it is the 2nd. the "tapered".

richard612

Mar 21, 2006
I thought so. I think some of these idiot cable makers are building and shipping cables with a 6-pin connector that's meant for a modular PSU. :mad:

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
I thought so. I think some of these idiot cable makers are building and shipping cables with a 6-pin connector that's meant for a modular PSU. :mad:

I dont say this often, but PSUs are one of those things where it pays to spend a few extra bucks, and get a quality product.

get something thats from a good brand, and that has good efficiency (it ll pay itself back in saved power bills).

richard612

Mar 21, 2006
I dont say this often, but PSUs are one of those things where it pays to spend a few extra bucks, and get a quality product.

get something thats from a good brand, and that has good efficiency (it ll pay itself back in saved power bills).
I agree. My problem isn't with the PSU quality, though. I just need to get a molex-to-6pin adapter since my older PSU doesn't have a 6-pin at all. My problem is with all of the improperly made adapters on the market.