PCI Express riser with high performance graphics card

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by yottabit, Jan 19, 2011.

1. yottabit

yottabit Golden Member

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has experience running a PCI express riser card such as this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/2PORT-PCIE16-L.../dp/B002M1DHJG

with a fairly high performance graphics card. I know these riser cards are normally for server applications so I wasn't sure if there would be any issues.

Also, would using a riser card billed as Gen 1 PCI-e work out? Would it limit me to Gen 1 speeds or are Gen 1 and Gen 2 riser cards physically identical?

I'm thinking about designing a custom slimline enclosure using a Radeon 5770

Thanks

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Express riser high Forum Date
    What is a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 DirectX 11 100351SR 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 worth? Video Cards and Graphics Jan 16, 2017
    suggest what PCI Express Extender Cable to use for this Video Cards and Graphics Aug 10, 2015
    Cheap PCI Express card Video Cards and Graphics Jul 26, 2015
    Graphic Cards PCI Express 3.0 X 16 Video Cards and Graphics Apr 20, 2015
    PCI-E riser card problems Video Cards and Graphics Dec 13, 2014

3. MarkLuvsCS

MarkLuvsCS Senior member

Physically it should be identical and since the bus is backwards compatible it shouldn't matter. The bandwith from a single card shouldn't hinder performance.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/16/sli_cfx_pcie_bandwidth_perf_x16x16_vs_x16x8/6

shows virtually zero difference between x8 and x16 so i imagine PCI v1 vs v2 would have minimal impact if the PCI-E v1 would be running x16.

4. WhoBeDaPlaya

WhoBeDaPlaya Diamond Member

Even PCI-E v2 4x / PCI-E v1 8x doesn't impact performance too much (~5%).

5. yottabit

yottabit Golden Member

6. deimos3428

deimos3428 Senior member

You're right, but it's probably not significant. You're adding ~1 ns round-trip if I did the math right.

7. PingSpike

PingSpike Lifer

There isn't much information about these kinds of things out there, from when I was looking. However, I never found any examples of these kinds of things not working as expected so that is at least somewhat encouraging. My opinion is it will probably work fine. I've used some 1x to 16x converters and noted no problems outside of some performance loss from the reduced bandwidth. (expected)

I do see that the items are a lot cheaper then when I was looking.

8. Yuriman

Yuriman Diamond Member

I was looking into AGP risers years ago, and my reading then suggested that as long as the riser is short, you won't have problems. How short? I don't know.

That cable is almost 5 inches long, and if I remember, I was trying to find one that was <2 inches, but perhaps latency isn't an issue anymore?

Hope that helps.

9. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

Are there cases with the slots aligned to match those risers?

10. yottabit

yottabit Golden Member

Not many that I know of... Most are OEM cases like if you look at an IBM/Lenovo ThinkCenter or something like that, they'll usually have that style of riser in there. But most cases on Newegg and such rely on low profile cards.

An additional concern I have now is reading about the card specifications, Graphics cards may draw up to 75 W from the PCI express slot. Since the added cable will increase the electrical resistance, I worry. I guess there is no better way to find out than to try it though :p

I am planning to design a very slimline case using either a mATX or miniITX motherboard and discrete GPU. Should be fun :D

11. darckhart

darckhart Senior member

12. yottabit

yottabit Golden Member

13. yottabit

yottabit Golden Member

Update: bought a 1u riser and its working great with my 5770 :D

Thanks!

14. amtonio

amtonio Junior Member

wow,which one did you buy?

15. PingSpike

PingSpike Lifer

I just remembered back in the AGP days I saw a mod project where a guy made a PC that fit into a suitcase, basically a fat heavy laptop made with desktop parts. He ended up building his own cable extension for AGP from some kind of riser, wires and his own soldering skills so that he could change the orientation of the card to fit it in the suitcase.

16. yottabit

yottabit Golden Member

I first used one of these StarTech 1U ones:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Later switched to a slightly taller (1.5U ?) Riser I found on ebay because the 1U didn't quite raise the graphics card up enough to give adequate clearance for a dual slot card.

Also added a wearout extender because using the riser without one puts the tab from the metal bracket on the graphics card into the IO plate