PCI audio card and Sandybridge MB?

dmc3106

May 28, 2004
I am looking to upgrade to Sandybridge - based system, using a Z68 Motherboard, but read that there can be issues (pops/crackles in sound) when using a PCI audio card. I have an old Chaintech via-chip based PCI audio card I need to use with the system. Anyone successfully using a PCI audio card with a sandybridge MB without any issues?

Here is some insight on the issue, as reported by some on the web -

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=87278

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
I decided to drop PCI slots when I did the SB build. I actually wasn't aware of this issue; I just decided that twenty years for that bus was long enough.

Are the certain features in the Chaintech card that aren't available in a current PCIe model? Is it the AV-710? Have you been able to locate Windows 7 drivers for it? I wasn't able to find a legitimate site for the company online.

dmc3106

May 28, 2004
Yes, it is the AV-710! It sets up just fine under Windows 7 x64 as 'Envy24'. Windows Updates provided the driver, if I remember correctly.

I need dual audio out to be able to have 'fast-switching' between speaker/headphone output. Been doing it for years and works great - no physical plugging of cables, just switch in 'Ctrl-panel\hardware and sound\sound\manage audio devices'

If there is another way for me to achieve the same result with the built-in audio, I am interested to know how.

Otherwise, would like to know if I can use the old PCI card in a new SB system before buying something and finding out the 'hard way' thanks -

stahlhart

Dec 21, 2010
While this is an issue germane to motherboards, you might want to have the mods redirect this thread to either General Hardware, Peripherals, or Computer Help, if you don't get sufficient responses here. Good luck.

stahlhart

Dec 21, 2010
If you do go with a P67 or Z68 board, keep an eye on board layout and be careful that you have a free PCI slot not directly adjacent to a x16 PCIe slot that you may end up using for Crossfire or SLI down the road, you're planning for this. You'll probaby have to check the board manual to make sure that the two that split x8 / x8 won't get in the way of the Chaintech.

This may come in handy for troubleshooting also:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml