PC3200 256MB 400MHz - CAS 2.0- Copper Heat Spreader - Ultra Performance Chips -- $39.95?!?!

Karaktu

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Apr 24, 2002
I know there have been/are a couple of other threads about this, but the price dropped again...

http://www.hardcorecooling.us/product.asp?0=200&1=201&3=340

Per their sales people...

The PC3200 and PC3500 are true DDR memory. The PC3200 is rated for 400mhz and the PC3500 is rated for 434mhz. The timings for the PC3200 is 3-7-3 at CAS 2.0. Lifetime warranty through www.hardcorecooling.com

I ordered a couple of sticks today...I'll let you know. Right now, I have two sticks of 256 meg CL2.5 Kingmax PC3200 running on my Epox 8K3A+ at 190FSB at 2-5-2, 1T, 2.5.

Also, good price on some cold cathode lights...

http://www.hardcorecooling.us/subcatmfgprod.asp?0=303&1=304&2=-1

And sound dampening pads...

http://www.hardcorecooling.us/product.asp?0=277&1=278&3=181

Joe

P.S.

See my thread at:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=45&threadid=1013863

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
This has been posted before and unfortunately this ram sucks acording to those that received it.

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Killrose
This has been posted before and unfortunately this ram sucks acording to those that received it.

I got RAM from these guys a number of times and it worked just fine as advertised. But I understand it does not overclock well.

Jagercola

Aug 23, 2001
I've ordered two sticks of the PC3200 512MB for 79 bux. What settings will I be able to run the ram at? I'm trying to overclock an XP 2400+, so any settings suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Well, I'd start off by making sure that it will run fine at the default DDR400 setting. Then, since your motherboard has the KT400 chipset, you should be able to overclock the chip and the memory both. I personally play with overclocking to see what it can do, but do not run my system that way all the time. Usually overclocking will reduce the lifespan of your equipment, one of the many reasons that o/c'ing virtually always includes enhanced cooling for the system.

Jagercola

Aug 23, 2001
What is better, the stock timing runing at pc3200 or making it faster running at pc2700? I've got 8 fans on my computer (not including video card), so bring the heat!

PaladinCavalier

Apr 7, 2003
My PC3500 512MB CAS 2.0 stick was DOA. Here's what their website says "All Memory Pre-Tested Before Shipping. Utilizes Ultra Performance chips." Doesn't seem like the ram was tested to me. The chips they use are vdata (I asked when calling for my RMA).

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Jagercola
What is better, the stock timing runing at pc3200 or making it faster running at pc2700? I've got 8 fans on my computer (not including video card), so bring the heat!

PC2700 is running at 333Mhz (2.5 x 133), PC3200 runs at 400Mhz (3 x 133). So your SPD should automatically set the RAM to DDR400 by default. But the KT400 chipset does not lock the clock multiplier of the RAM to the clock multiplier of the CPU.

Jagercola

Aug 23, 2001
Is that VData memory you got good? I mean, normally is that a descent brand? How have they been with your return?

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Is that VData memory you got good? I mean, normally is that a descent brand? How have they been with your return?

Can't vouch for the vdata memory, I bought long enough ago to get the Winbond chips. But one of the OCZ chips that I ordered was defective, and I had no problems with the RMA - and I thought their customer support (I spoke to a guy named Matt) was excellent.

Kingchicken2

Feb 25, 2003
did you post on FW with the name of 4ghz? i hope you are not like that guy who got caught red handed...

See this Post regarding this vendor and 4ghz
Linky

Karaktu

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Apr 24, 2002
No, I don't even go to FW. I also took the time to email their tech support to see what speeds they claim to work at PC3200/CAS 2

My expectation is that those timings would be better at CAS2.5, and the RAM is still a good price for that. Besides, if it's crap, you can always dispute the charge on your credit card. :)

Joe

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
3/24/03 10:03 PM
I ordered a PC3200 4.5ns Winbond ram rated at cas2..
It does do 200MHz @ cas2... or even 217MHz @ cas2, but it does not use winbond chips as advertised.. an i could have used far more aggressive timings if it was winbond ram as specified...
it uses a heatspreader to block the chips on there.. so people can't see what's under there.. FRAUD.. what's really under there is some cheap v-data taiwan brand crap.
though i do not feel like waiting forever to RMA this thing,
it at least hits its rated speeds... though i would not recommend buying ram from them

Directly from reseller ratings.
This vendor has gotten quite a bit of activity here and over at Hard, as far as I'm concerned this might as well be another OCZ.

m1ke101

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2001
I didn't have a very good experience with these guys....I got two bad sticks, and it took them two weeks for them to finally issue me a refund.

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Oakenfold
3/24/03 10:03 PM
I ordered a PC3200 4.5ns Winbond ram rated at cas2..
It does do 200MHz @ cas2... or even 217MHz @ cas2, but it does not use winbond chips as advertised.. an i could have used far more aggressive timings if it was winbond ram as specified...
it uses a heatspreader to block the chips on there.. so people can't see what's under there.. FRAUD.. what's really under there is some cheap v-data taiwan brand crap.
though i do not feel like waiting forever to RMA this thing,
it at least hits its rated speeds... though i would not recommend buying ram from them

Directly from reseller ratings.
This vendor has gotten quite a bit of activity here and over at Hard, as far as I'm concerned this might as well be another OCZ.

They filled orders with the vdata rather than make people wait weeks for the Winbond (they never were able to get more), but I understand that anyone who was not happy was able to RMA the chips without problems. As I said I had no problem returning the chips when I had a problem. Of course YMMV, as always.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: pspada

They filled orders with the vdata rather than make people wait weeks for the Winbond (they never were able to get more), but I understand that anyone who was not happy was able to RMA the chips without problems. As I said I had no problem returning the chips when I had a problem. Of course YMMV, as always.

That still doesn't make it right, there is more than one instance of the same story @ reseller ratings.
This company needs to get their stuff together.

They filled orders with the vdata rather than make people wait weeks for the Winbond (they never were able to get more),

Exactly, people on forums were ordering because they thought they were getting the winbond chips in quite a few cases, they get Vdata instead? I'd be pretty upset also, then the whole issue of the heatspreaders? I'm sure they handled most cases, you've got intelligent PC enthusiasts ordering your stuff not egay bidders, they don't want a lawsuit on several grounds.

SSSS

Oct 8, 2002

You need one more fan just to cool the heat generated by those 8 fans.

Jagercola

Aug 23, 2001
Right now I've got 1gb of crucial.com pc2100 and an XP 2400+ running at 143 FSB. Which I think is around 21XX megahertz or 2600+ speeds. What should I get to with the new pc3200 ram? I'll have to replace my silent fan on my heatsink (SLK-800) with something stronger probally. Thanks

clarkmo

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2000
Right now I've got 1gb of crucial.com pc2100 and an XP 2400+ running at 143 FSB. Which I think is around 21XX megahertz or 2600+ speeds. What should I get to with the new pc3200 ram? I'll have to replace my silent fan on my heatsink (SLK-800) with something stronger probally. Thanks
That's a powerful heatsink. You're fan might be fine. What mobo are you using?

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002

the PC3200 RAM should be able to a FSB of 200. But it is highly unlikely that your processor can.

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Oakenfold
Originally posted by: pspada

That still doesn't make it right, there is more than one instance of the same story @ reseller ratings.
This company needs to get their stuff together.

They filled orders with the vdata rather than make people wait weeks for the Winbond (they never were able to get more),

Exactly, people on forums were ordering because they thought they were getting the winbond chips in quite a few cases, they get Vdata instead? I'd be pretty upset also, then the whole issue of the heatspreaders? I'm sure they handled most cases, you've got intelligent PC enthusiasts ordering your stuff not egay bidders, they don't want a lawsuit on several grounds.

My understanding is that as soon as they became aware that the newer memory had vdata chips, they changed their website to reflect that.

But all I am trying to say here is that:
a) all memory I got from them worked as advertised, except for the physically defective stick
b) Was able to RMA that stick without problems
c) excellent customer service

So, I will continue to buy from them when I need high performance memory. That is all I am saying here.

Jagercola

Aug 23, 2001
It's a soltek FR-75V or something based on the KT400 chipset. I get the PC3200 memory today, so I will run Sandra benchmark and see what it rates at. Also, Think my system, radeon 8500, KT400, XP 2400+, can handle a 200fsb?

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
It's a soltek FR-75V or something based on the KT400 chipset. I get the PC3200 memory today, so I will run Sandra benchmark and see what it rates at. Also, Think my system, radeon 8500, KT400, XP 2400+, can handle a 200fsb?

Depends. The first thing you need to check is to see if the PCI/AGP ratio is locked, or if you can set it yourself. If you can set it so that the PCI/AGP buses are not overclocked, the only item you'd be oc'ing would be the cpu itself, and you will probably have better luck. But if it is locked, when you oc the fsb, it not only oc's the processor, it also oc's all PCI and AGP cards in the system, and they usually top out and cause problems before the processor oc does. And if you exclude the PCI/SGP bus, you can cool the heck out of the processor, and possibly up the core power setting as well to get better performance out of your cpu.