PC works when GPU is in x4 slot, but is inconsistent with x16

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
I usually use a woman's blush makeup brush for that too (a new one preferably). It's made of horse hair usually and is excellent for removing dust from keyboards, screens, etc. Fine enough to get in there and will not damage anything since it's so soft and they are quite large so it cleans a large amount of area.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I can't help but wonder if the op is not old enough to buy compressed air and is unwilling to admit it.

You could look into an irrigation bulb/snot sucker and get it yo blow some air for pretty cheap.

SlickR12345

Jan 9, 2010
www.clubvalenciacf.com
Are you sure the GPU hasn't already been sitting in the 16x slot and you making the mistake now of actually putting it in the 4x slot?

Get your mobo manual and check where the 16x lane is, in all manuals it is pointed with a black dot and a black line or just a black bot and a number to it, check to see which is the 16x slot.

If it is the 16x slot, dust it off, I suggest you use the vacuum cleaner with horse hair addon if it has it, then make sure to remove any possible static electricity from it before you turn it on, do this only if you don't have compressed air.

Alternatively get some plastic you can blow into, with a small, tight opening on the other end and blow the dust that way.

If you still have problems, remount the GPU again, make sure you close the "strap", otherwise the GPU may not even work in some cases and if it does work it can cause all sort of problems. Also make sure to screw any screws that there are to provide a stable positioning for the card.

If those don't work, you can flash your bios to the previous version and see if that helps, there are many tools out there that do it.

Alternatively you can check the card in someone else's computer and see if its card related.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Wait, hold on, forget about the whole conversation... Canned air is $3 in the US? Generally electronics shops will charge £7-10 for a can of the stuff here! And some of the cheaper stuff I got recently for my shop smelled...funny.

Wow, $3... :/
At least in the US it's supposed to smell funny. A bitterant is added to dissuade people from huffing it to get high.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Aren't you an arrogant wanker? Yet another scumbag from AnandTech comes out of the woodwork, I don't live in America compressed air isn't as easy to find here and it's also quite expensive for a can of air, please for once can I deal with a Diamond Member that isn't arrogant? Please.
You seriously have issues....

10 people try to help you and you insult 10 people. Think that may be why I think you are 12 years old?

EightySix Four

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2004
Anyways, tested last night. I lost about 5% on minimum frame rate and everything else was within margin of error. I have a 7850 @ 1200mhz and a 4670k.