PC works when GPU is in x4 slot, but is inconsistent with x16

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
Try blowing out the slot with some canned air (or an air compressor turned down low). I've seen this happen when substantial dust is in the slot you're putting the card in.

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
There's no other recommendation I have. Vaccumes tend to zap boards with static, and a brush is just going to move the dust around. Every store has it, and it costs like 3$. I always keep a can around.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010

I'm trying to think of a reason that any household would *NOT* want to have a can of compressed air. All I can think of is maybe you have small children that have full run of the house and would steal the can and mis-use it in a way that could risk frostbite to them, so you want to make sure to keep the cans of compressed air out of your house? Otherwise, it's a nice $2.99 investment to buy a can of compressed air and keep it in your house, handy for cleaning out your computer.

It's just inevitable that your computer will collect dust, so if you just ignore the dust build-up, you are doing a disservice to your computer, so it's really in your best interest to just buy it and keep it around, and use it maybe twice a year to clean your fans etc., highly recommended!

I was thinking you could also use a very stiff feather. I used to live in a bad part of town in low-rent apartment complex, and it had lots of pigeons, so you can scare the pigeons enough a feather will fall out and you can use that to dust inside the PCIe slot. It would be free, but you may have to pay a little more for food because you will burn some calories chasing pigeons.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Then go away. If you don't want advice, don't ask for it. There's nothing else to suggest until you do it. If you can't spare $3 or so, sell the computer to someone actually willing to maintain it. What, did you expect that you'd never have to clean your computer? Are you really this cheap and dense?

Actually, you know what? Rinse the board off with water. You can use it immediately after. The heat of the computer will dry it! :)

Last edited:

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
Why is this actually up for debate? You gave me advice, I asked for any other way other than compressed air. You talk about respecting mods is so important on this site when you can't even respect your own members, and don't get all snobby saying I don't maintain my PC, I do, but I don't have compressed air, no need for all the smart ass crap.
Are you sure you maintain it? Because if you aren't willing to go out with just a little bit of work to get the job done right, it doesn't seem like it to me. You've been given the smartest advice. There is no other "proper" way to dust off delicate electronics.

EightySix Four

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2004
I dust my PC, compressed air isn't in my general area but I just wanted to know a way to dust the PC, y'know a suggestion like a q-tip but everyone on this post ganged up on me and accused me of being lazy, just goes to show the elitism on this forum with some people (not talking about you :p)

I apologise for the "ding-dong" crap, really, that was arrogant of me but what the hell is wrong with asking for alternatives there is other ways to dust PCs y'know? I don't have compressed air, is it too hard to comprehend?

It's not elitist at all. You're trying to clean something that's very small and very sensitive, a feather duster or something similar isn't going to cut it. There's only one way to do this right, it was offered to you, and you have somehow taken it as a personal offense.

You weren't banned from Toms just because you used the f-bomb, you were banned because you are don't afford other people any respect despite the fact they are trying to help you. People here spend a good amount of their personal time helping others and will help you to, but in return you have to show some respect and help other people when you can too. If you can't do those two things, get out.

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
I apologise for the "ding-dong" crap, really, that was arrogant of me but what the hell is wrong with asking for alternatives there is other ways to dust PCs y'know? I don't have compressed air, is it too hard to comprehend?
Not hard to comprehend at all. You just have to be willing to do the work. It is sold most everywhere, even some gas stations carry it. If you go to the garage and ask how to rotate your tires, then proceed to say you dont have a socket, they'll tell you to go buy a socket. This is a tool to attempt to accomplish your repair, hence the need to go and get it rather than argue it. Rather than ding ding, you could have judt said are their any alternative, to which the answer is no if you're looking for proper solutions. A kind poster did recommend the feather trick, however.

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
Heres an image of my PC here: http://imgur.com/vCFFjHt

It's not dusty at all.......
Your right so all this drivel is for nothing. Dust isnt going to be the cause of your issue here. Gonna agree with the early post of damaged mainland (or maybe processor). Either way, those pcie lanes ain't working right.
Can I be let off now, officer?
Why are you replying to yourself.
As I said it's pretty easy to buy, yes but I DO NOT HAVE IT! I dust my PC using other ways and was asking (without the use of ****ing compressed air) can I take the dust out of my PCI-E slot, I am absolutely astounded at the absolute arrogant wankers on this site.
This is becoming some who's on first crap. I told you how to fix it, you asked if there is another way, I said no, you get crappy about it. The answer, for the last time, is that compressed air, which is simple to obtain, is the best way to clear out a clogged slot. This obviously isnt the issue now that you showed a picture so its back to a damaged hardware problem, in my opinion.

EightySix Four

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2004
Can I be let off now, officer?

So the issue is with the PCI-E slot and the possibility that there may be dust in a slot which was unused for quite some time... and you think a picture of a relatively clean rest of the computer is evidence that dust in the PCI-E slot isn't the problem?

Do you realize how little dust it would take to make for a bad connection? You can't just eyeball it.

It's most likely your PCI-E slot has a problem, we're trying to give you cheap alternatives and you keep getting frustrated by it. Go buy a can of air, blow out the slot, and test. If it works better, great, if not, well you have eliminated that possibility. That's how troubleshooting works.