PC wont turn on - Help Please

mosid786

Jan 8, 2005
Hello,

I press the power button on the base unit and the green light comes on and nothing else happens, monitor stays blank, fan doesnt move, no sound from hard drive.

I have tried a different monitor, a different power cable, a different graphics card, but exactly the same problem.

My PC is a:

Fujitsu Siemens
Scenic edition X102
Intel (R) Celeron 2.66 GHz
408 MB Ram
Seagate 40 GB Hard Drive

Anyone got any ideas as to what might be the problem?

All help appreciated.

Cheers

Slikkster

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
(before trying the below, remove the power cord from the pc)

You need to take the case cover off. Now, ensure that all power supply cables are seated correctly. Reseat them (i.e. remove them and reconnect them) from the motherboard and peripherals.

Ensure that the cpu fan connector wire is seated correctly on the motherboard. If the cpu fan isn't working, frequently it will prevent a power on.

Reseat any and all cables in the pc, power or otherwise.

It may be just a bad power supply. They do go bad, occasionally. But before running out and buying a new one (as I'm sure advice that follows mine will no doubt suggest), go through the process of trying to rule out other possibilities. No reason to throw away money.

Anyone else have access to this pc? Any chance the power supply external switch was set to 220v instead of 115?

Also, another easy thing to check is this: Is this pc connected directly to the wall outlet, or is it through a powerstrip? Try it direct if it's a powerstrip. If that's not feasible, try a different powerstrip. Try a different input on the powerstrip.

mosid786

Jan 8, 2005
Thank you very much for that information. I have reseated all the cables, and still the same problem. i think it is the power supply. The machine is under warranty so i will get the power supply replaced and see if that works.

Thanks for all your help.

Mo.

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Slik is spot on. Sure sounds like the power supply at this point.

Before replacing the PS, take a close look at the motherboard and look for any bulging or leaking capacitors. I've seen quite a few systems over the past couple years with bad caps.