PC won't POST anymore - GA-Z77-D3H boot loop [SOLVED!]

teflon6678

Apr 11, 2013
Update: SOLVED! Thanks for the suggestions, I'm back up and running after triggering the BIOS backup restore by holding power and reset for 10 seconds, as in method 2 on Overclockers outlined here.

I've changed the title so this should hopefully be useful for anyone with the same boot loop issue in future.

So I'd like a 2nd/3rd/37th opinion on this. My PC is a bit screwed right now, it struggles to POST, and I'm fearing that MoBo and/or CPU are just dead. All of this started yesterday when I installed a PCIe capture card, and it's been perfectly fine since I built it in the middle of 2013. I'm trying to remember, but I'm 99% sure I did what I always do, flipping the PSU switch, pulling the cable and touching the metal case to dissipate static, like I always do.

Basic PC specs:
Core i5 3570K, Gigabyte Z77-D3H, 16GB DDR3 RAM (2x4GB HyperX Beast, 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport), EVGA GS 550W, AMD RX480 8GB

Recent changes:
R9 280X replaced by RX480 in early October. Occasional graphical glitches made me think to replace the 3yr old PSU (Novatech store branded 550W) when the EVGA went cheap on black friday, and had 5 days of solid running since. Capture card is a BlackMagic Intensity 4K installed last night.

Symptoms:
The PC will now light up the power button, spin up the two case fans and CPU fan will spin for a second before stopping. 5-10 seconds later, it's turn off without a POST beep and spin up again after a moment. Occasionally it will POST and display a Gigabyte-esque screen on a connected monitor then shut off seconds later.

Diagnosing:
- Pulled the capture card
- Pulled the RX480 - for Hackintosh, iGPU is turned on anyway
- Pulled all but boot SSDs
- Pulled all but 1 stick of RAM - just MoBo, CPU and 1 stick RAM
- Pulled ALL RAM - got POST beeps to say there's no RAM
- Tried various RAM sticks solo in different slots.
- Tried previous known working PSU with just MoBo, CPU and 1 stick RAM
- Removed, inspected and reseated CPU and MoBo - No obvious signs of damage that I can see.

I took a few pictures of the board, socket and CPU, which I might upload in a little bit.

Update: imgur gallery of CPU, socket, full board and BIOS chips - http://imgur.com/a/hSo8J

To my mind, I've ruled out everything but CPU and/or MoBo death, but... well... anyone have any bright ideas of what else I can try before I give up, cry myself to sleep and buy new components.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
If you built it 3 years ago, have you checked the button battery on your mobo?

teflon6678

Apr 11, 2013
Batmeat - I've tried resetting the CMOS at various stages (missed that off the list! Oops!) but isn't that just to save the BIOS settings? Or is it actually integral to operation?

Larry - The PSU seems fine to me. It ran fine for five days, so definitely not "on arrival", and it still spins up quite happily. Switching back to my previous PSU exhibits the same symptoms... but I might give that another go. Not exactly got much to lose!

teflon6678

Apr 11, 2013
On other advice, I took the MB out of the case and ran it bare. As before, if there's no RAM, the internal speaker makes a series of continuous beeps, if there is a stick of RAM (and I've tried various slots and RAM), it power cycles.

The power cycles have a pattern:
- 25 seconds on before shutting off
- 7 seconds on before shutting off
- "Successful" BIOS beep, and says "Gigabyte UEFI DualBIOS" on an otherwise blank screen before shutting down a few seconds later

That pattern repeats.

teflon6678

Apr 11, 2013
Thanks Burpo. I got point that direction by someone else as well. That particular routine didn't work for me, but I managed to trigger the BIOS restore by holding power and reset for 10 seconds with the computer turned off but connected to power.

It was listed as Method 2 here on Overclockers.

Why this isn't clearly available in the manual or on Gigabyte's support pages, I have absolutely no idea. It's a big selling point for the boards, but utterly useless if you don't know how to do it!

That's an ordeal I'm glad is now over...