Pc won't boot with ram slot full

psygnosis

Jan 30, 2015
this is a frankenstain computer that I've build for my mother that like to play old gdr.

* i3 3220
* mobo: MSI PH61-P33 (B3)
* 2x2gb kingston hyperX
* 1 hdd sata maxtor
* GPU Asus HD 7770
* Vultek PSU 600W (new)

When I power on the pc I have a black screen, no beep, nothing. the pc simply won't boot.
BUT, when I clear the CMOS everything works.

The first strange thing is that the pc won't power smootly. I try to explain better: when I reboot the pc first shutdown power (all fan stop, all led down, like it's power off) then suddendly start, and It's really strange 'cause I've never seen a PC that reboot in this way, in a normal reboot, pc doesn't power off completely.

* So, I first try to play with BIOS, xmp, voltage on ram, ide/ahci, overclock, optimal setting, default setting.
then I bought a new battery.
* I bought a new PSU
* then I take of the CPU and clean a bit of dust that I've found under the socket but didn't help.
* I try to disconnect all addictional fan of the case.
* I try to have only the power button connect and nothing else
* **Then I take off 1 ram, and the pc starts!**

now: I have two slot I try every single combination between ram and slot and I found out that both ram works, BUT if I insert two ram, pc won't start (until i clear cmos), If I insert one ram (eather in slot 1 or 2) the pc starts.

can be the mobo faulty? or I'm forgetting somthing? something I could try to have the two ram slot working? is an hw problem? a bios problem? I really want to give my mother this pc as gift but I don't have money now to buy an old lga 775 mobo.
Thanks all for the advice
and sorry for my bad english

techmanc

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2006
if you can use 1 stick to max out your needed ram requirements I would just do that.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
If Amazon is any indication and my euro to dollar exchange rate is accurate , that is a pretty cheap power supply. If you are swapping one cheap power supply for another, that could explain your problems. Then again, if the computer will run fine with a single 4 GB stick, that may be the easiest and most cost-effective solution.

Reactions: psygnosis