PC turning on for 2 seconds and then turning off.

What do you think is the problem (if you don't have time to elaborate)

• CPU :(

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Motherboard

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • PSU

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

NotJarrett

Oct 21, 2016
Hi, for the last 3 months I've been having this issue and I never seem to have gotten around to it

As the title says I've been pressing the power button to turn it on and then it turns off after 2 seconds. Fans spin, led on the motherboard turns on and then goes off with the fans. Right now I have the pc stripped down to just the psu cpu motherboard and one stick of ram and no matter what I do it always does the same thing. I've used a spare psu to see if it was the problem and I'm still running into the same issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

More information on the parts:
CPU: i7 4790k (please don't be dead)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
PSU: 700? Watt by Toppower

I would also like to note that if it's the motherboard (which is what I'm leaning towards right now) I have the money right now to go buy a replacement, any suggestions?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Is your CPU fan working? Generally when a computer will start, but then shuts right back down, it does so because the CPU fan is defective or there is a power issue.

Three questions:

1. You said you tried a spare PSU already. What kind and size (model number and age would be helpful)?

2. For the 3 months you have had issues, the computer would always power up for 2 seconds and then power down? It hasn't been able to post in 3 months?

3. Do you have a speaker hooked up to the motherboard as to hear any beep codes before it shuts down?

As far as a motherboard recommendation, one of my kid's computers I built has an Asus Z97-E/USB3.1, and there have been no issues with it all. You can get it for $85 after MIR right now at Newegg.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Topower are not known as high quality units. What's the other one?

Other than that, a power off within the first second or two could mean a short somewhere.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Every time in my experience this issue has been either the motherboard or the PSU. You have tried another PSU so I would say motherboard. CPU is very doubtful.

NotJarrett

Oct 21, 2016
Is your CPU fan working? Generally when a computer will start, but then shuts right back down, it does so because the CPU fan is defective or there is a power issue.

Three questions:

1. You said you tried a spare PSU already. What kind and size (model number and age would be helpful)?

2. For the 3 months you have had issues, the computer would always power up for 2 seconds and then power down? It hasn't been able to post in 3 months?

3. Do you have a speaker hooked up to the motherboard as to hear any beep codes before it shuts down?

As far as a motherboard recommendation, one of my kid's computers I built has an Asus Z97-E/USB3.1, and there have been no issues with it all. You can get it for $85 after MIR right now at Newegg.

The CPU fan is working and yes its being doing this for three months as I've been in England without it for the majority of that time. Just hooked up some speakers and got nothing as well :(

The other PSU was pulled out of a 5 year old acer prebuilt and is only 300 Watts

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Then it is highly likely that neither power supply is up to the task of a 4790k. Get a high quality unit (Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, etc. An 8-pin 12v PSU adapter recommended) and try it again. Are you using integrated graphics or do you have a separate video card?

NotJarrett

Oct 21, 2016
Then it is highly likely that neither power supply is up to the task of a 4790k. Get a high quality unit (Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, etc. An 8-pin 12v PSU adapter recommended) and try it again. Are you using integrated graphics or do you have a separate video card?

The power supply Im using now has powered the system before (gtx 770 16gb ram i7 4790k)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The power supply Im using now has powered the system before (gtx 770 16gb ram i7 4790k)

If your sure the PSU works, it's probably the motherboard. If it was a CPU error, you should hear beeps with a speaker connected to the motherboard. If the CPU was totally dead, it usually would not even begin to start at all.

You can always remove the CPU to see if there is any burnt or damaged pins.

NotJarrett

Oct 21, 2016
If your sure the PSU works, it's probably the motherboard. If it was a CPU error, you should hear beeps with a speaker connected to the motherboard. If the CPU was totally dead, it usually would not even begin to start at all.

You can always remove the CPU to see if there is any burnt or damaged pins.

Went out and got a new motherboard and it's not giving me the same issue. I'll update you after the build is finished