PC surround system for gaming

Ka3el

Sep 24, 2019
Hi guys, Iam looking for some audio improvement, searching, my head will explode soon,too many possibilities.
My budget is up to cca 600$. Sorry I know my options too wide but I will listen and hope your opinions will help me to decide.

Currently using:
Creative gigaworks T3 2.1 system in the front +cheap (~40$) Genius 2.0 in the back

Environment and purpose:
Front speakers are/will be like 70-80 cm in front of me and speakers on the back approximately 2m.
Use mainly for gaming, I also watch movies and listen music but not best source (music from youtube etc.,I have few flacs but listen them very rarely)

Option 1- Sound Blaste AE5 (heard it has good DAC)+active 5.1 system via analog

This one seems like good option
https://www.teufelaudio.com/pc/concept-e-450-digital-5-1-set-p15407.html
but Iam afraid about that subwoofer, that thing is huge
s01.png
, it had to consume big part of system price, was there any left for speakers?
Edit: I see this one has even USB input, so not sure If better to use AE5 or sound card in this system

Other possibility
https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-S760...?keywords=Edifier+S760D&qid=1569255606&sr=8-1
or Edifier S550 Encore

Option 2 - Sound Blaste AE5+4.0/4.1 combination of active (2x2.0 or 2.1+2.0) speakers
No center speaker here, I believe wont miss for gaming? Also one less repro/cable from my table isnt bad although in can be hidden under my display (AD27QD) no problem, disadvantage is separated (front and rear) volume control.

If you recommend this option Iam open for suggestions
Front speakers could be Klipsch R-41PM or Klipsch R-14PM 2.0 speakers (I fell in love with Klipsch little bit,never heard them,but I like how they look and I like what I read)
Will I miss the subwoofer? Are these waste of money for gaming?
I suppose rear speakers doesnt have to be so high quality so I could combine Klipsch with some cheaper speakers? (for sure I dont mean 40$ I currnetly have)

How about Audio engine A2+ for front speakers, here I could even afford to use them front&rear If its good to have same speakers front and rear but again will I miss the SW? Again here can be connected active SW but Iam afraid that would be above my budget and also one more cable for powering it.

So better to use 2.1 system like Edifier S350DB and combine with some rear speakers?

Thanks all in advance!!!

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
My suggestion is just to keep your current system, or maybe buy a good headset. It is easier to buy a good set of earphones for your budget than a good surround sound speaker system.

Reactions: gerald95

Ka3el

Sep 24, 2019
Hallo Oly, thank You for the reply. I have headset (some audiotechnica,~80$), Iam not big fan of headpones,I use them only when I have to. Even with 2x2.0 total 500$ Klipsh there would notbe big improvement against my current setup? Or just not worth the money?

Ka3el

Sep 24, 2019
I thought about it initially, but I have 1440p 144Hz monitor so cant passthrough the video through receiver. I heard there are problems when you extend the monitor wih mouse dissapering or even problem to launch some games. There is tool to lock the mouse to main screen but not sure If I like the hack. Othe possibility would be to buy soundcard with DOlby Digital live and use optical but there is no much space on my desk anyway, only could probably put it under printer, but that is very heavy

Ka3el

Sep 24, 2019
yes,it does..but for 5.1 gaming need DDL/DTS whats not supported, seems there are hacks to make it work but thats not the way I want to go

Ka3el

Sep 24, 2019
My suggestion is just to keep your current system, or maybe buy a good headset. It is easier to buy a good set of earphones for your budget than a good surround sound speaker system.
Hi OlyAR15, so already got new system (Teufel) and while its not definitely bad I would not say it was worth the money (over my original system). Positional audio is there but Iam missing more of the "spatial". Whats the budget need to spend to get really good sorround system, please? Do you have any suggestions?

tarmc

Mar 12, 2013
Have you considered the logitech z906? I would also recommend running a sound card.
I used the speakers with an Asus xonar card and it seemed to work very nicely. But recently downgraded to a 2.1 to save desk space

Ka3el

Sep 24, 2019
Thanks for your input. According what I read (and also based on price) I dont think Z906 better than Teufel COncept.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Hi OlyAR15, so already got new system (Teufel) and while its not definitely bad I would not say it was worth the money (over my original system). Positional audio is there but Iam missing more of the "spatial". Whats the budget need to spend to get really good sorround system, please? Do you have any suggestions?
It's tough to recommend a budget since everyone has different tastes and different ideas of what is "affordable" for sound. Some are willing to spend 5 digits or more for good sound, others want to keep it under $1k. Thing is, good quality drivers and enclosures cost money to build. You have to cut corners in order to reduce the price. Factor in getting 4 or 5 speakers, plus a sub, plus amplification, and you need to temper your expectations when you want to go for a low price. You also have to factor in size, since if you are going to have them on your desktop, you probably don't want big speakers. And building a quality speaker in a small enclosure is arguably more difficult, and therefore more expensive, than making a larger speaker. That is especially true for subs.

The best thing to do is to go and listen to a bunch of them, and see what you can afford that is "good enough." Keep in mind that they will sound different when you get them home since the environment plays a big role in how they ultimately sound. This is why I recommended headphones. Much easier to get decent sounding headphones for a given amount of money than a surround sound system.

Just to let you know, I am very happy with my surround sound system for my PC, but it cost as much as a decently high-end gaming PC. So you really need to decide how badly you want good sound for games. If you can afford more than $1k, you should be able to get a pretty good system.

Ka3el

Sep 24, 2019

Just to let you know, I am very happy with my surround sound system for my PC, but it cost as much as a decently high-end gaming PC. So you really need to decide how badly you want good sound for games. If you can afford more than $1k, you should be able to get a pretty good system.
Hi Olly, could you please share your set up?