Question PC stuck after login to windows - Help Needed!!

affoplays

Jan 10, 2024
I have a Core i5 2nd generation, I know it’s old. It has 6GB RAM 4 and 2, a GTAX 760 Gigabyte GPU, a 500 watt PSU, a 320GB HDD, and a 180GB SSD. My Windows is installed on the SSD. The problem is that after my PC starts and gets past the login screen, it gets stuck on the desktop. The mouse moves but nothing is clickable. I’m worried about why this is happening. Let me tell you that there are no large files on it. Please help, thank you.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
This is not happening because of the mouse
When troubleshooting a PC it is best to not assume anything and to test the easiest things first.

Try booting into safe mode and see if the PC responds better. Also, what OS do you have? Did the problem just happen one day or has it gotten progressively worse over time?

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
After starting it 2 to 3 times, it starts properly.

Windows 10
Sounds like something is hanging the OS when you log in. Could be Windows updates or Windows Indexing. Can you get the task manager open after you login by using CTRL+ALT+DEL or the windows key, then task manager since the mouse doesn't work? If so, do you see any processes that are taking up all of your CPU or RAM or possibly even the Disk?

Have you tried leaving the PC running after login to see if it eventually becomes responsive without rebooting?

Reactions: igor_kavinski

affoplays

Jan 10, 2024
I think the issue was related to my computer's RAM. When I removed the GPU and tried to start the PC, the problem wasn't resolved, and the PC wouldn't even boot up. Then, I tried removing my old 2GB RAM and started the PC again, and this time, the problem was resolved. For now, it seems like it was an issue with the RAM.

Reactions: igor_kavinski