PC Speaker guru's com on in

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My Klipsch 2.1's are getting old so I going to upgrade. I already have a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS on order but I am having trouble deciding what speakers to get.

Here are the ones I am looking at

1)CREATIVE GigaWorks S750 7.1 Speaker

2)Creative GigaWorks 5.1 S700 Speaker

3) Logitech THX Certified Z-680 5.1 Speaker 500Watt Silver

I am leaning toward number 1 as long as I can get some type of speaker stands. If you own these speaker LMK how you like them

Sysadmin

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: zimu
is (1) thx certified?

Even if they aren't, they are about 4x better than #3.

Strange that you aren't considering the Klipsch PM 5.1 Ultras though? I mean, I picked the gigaworks, but the ultra's are definitely worth considering...

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
THX is almost a requirement for me. I would get the best system that you have an option for, provided that it's a THX system.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt
THX is almost a requirement for me. I would get the best system that you have an option for, provided that it's a THX system.

THX means next to nothing for computer speakers... If you let THX govern your computer speaker purchases, that's silly. The gigaworks are pretty awsome speakers.

WHipLAsh13

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2001
I have seen nothing but good reviews for the 680's so I would consider them. My brother has them and they sound really clear to me.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
THX certified only means it has to meet a certain requirement, nothing else. Above that, anything goes.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Howard
THX certified only means it has to meet a certain requirement, nothing else. Above that, anything goes.

You mean they pay DLM a fee so they can use the "THX" logo on their package.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
Originally posted by: Howard

You mean they pay DLM a fee so they can use the "THX" logo on their package.

Exactly.

Woodchuck2000

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2002
THX (especially the watered-down certification used for PC speakers) is all but meaningless - it just means the manufacturers spent money on marketing that could have been used for further R&D. The Gigaworks system is the best there, although the Klipsch Ultras are very good too.

Go for the 7.1 out of the two gigaworks systems, as long as you have appropriate places to put all the surrounds.

lundog22

Golden Member
Mar 19, 2000
I am in the same boat, don't know which set to get.

Klipsch PM 5.1 Ultras or CREATIVE GigaWorks S750 7.1 Speaker since they cost around the same.

Feb 10, 2000
Are you upgrading because you want 4.1 or 5.1? I don't know that any of these will really sound better than your old Klipschs. I am using a set of the original 4.1 Klipsches, and they still sound great.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Woodchuck2000
THX (especially the watered-down certification used for PC speakers) is all but meaningless - it just means the manufacturers spent money on marketing that could have been used for further R&D. The Gigaworks system is the best there, although the Klipsch Ultras are very good too.

Go for the 7.1 out of the two gigaworks systems, as long as you have appropriate places to put all the surrounds.

I agree how many high quality home theater receivers do you see that are THX certified? I know that Harman Kardon, NAD, Denon, and other high end manufacturers don't even bother with the certification the majority of the time because they know it's not worth it either.