Question PC resets on its own

Hoowiebow

Jan 26, 2019
Hello,

ich have a problem with my computer which I assembled recently. From time to time, out of nowhere it restarts on its own. There is no bluescreen. It is like someone pushed the reset-button. In some games it happens always after 1-2 minutes. Also sometimes in Firefox when I use Google Maps for example.

First I tried to fully stress the CPU and the graphic card to 100% by using two tools to test whether maybe the power adapter isn`t powerful enough. Once the computer crashed. When I tried it 2 further times, it didn`t crash. I also tried a new power adapter but the computer still crashes.

These are my components:

Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6x 3.20 GHz Prozessor
ASUS Prime B350-PLUS Mainboard
NVIDIA GeFRorce GT 1030 Grafikkarte
1x Crucial Technology BLT8G4D30AETA 8 GB RAM
be quiet! Pure Power 10 600W Netzteil
LG GH24NSB0 DVD 24x
San Disc SSD PLUS 240 GB Sata III harddisk
SAMSUNG Monitor
AVM FRITZ!WLAN STICK

Any ideas?

Hoowiebow

Jan 26, 2019
I think no because it only happens in some situations. Especially when I start some games. When I`m just surfing without using Google Maps it doesn`t crash.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Hello,

ich have a problem with my computer which I assembled recently. From time to time, out of nowhere it restarts on its own. There is no bluescreen. It is like someone pushed the reset-button. In some games it happens always after 1-2 minutes. Also sometimes in Firefox when I use Google Maps for example.

First I tried to fully stress the CPU and the graphic card to 100% by using two tools to test whether maybe the power adapter isn`t powerful enough. Once the computer crashed. When I tried it 2 further times, it didn`t crash. I also tried a new power adapter but the computer still crashes.

These are my components:

Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6x 3.20 GHz Prozessor
ASUS Prime B350-PLUS Mainboard
NVIDIA GeFRorce GT 1030 Grafikkarte
1x Crucial Technology BLT8G4D30AETA 8 GB RAM
be quiet! Pure Power 10 600W Netzteil
LG GH24NSB0 DVD 24x
San Disc SSD PLUS 240 GB Sata III harddisk
SAMSUNG Monitor
AVM FRITZ!WLAN STICK

Any ideas?
If you have not already nuked the nvidia drivers, do it and install fresh. When I work on 1st gen Ryzen systems I start by flashing the newest UEFI too. Often helps with ram compatibility issues. Have had systems go from unstable@2133 to running properly with XMP. You can check the event viewer or use who crashed to narrow down the culprit. I would run memtest or windows memory diagnostic too.

I hope you do not mind my expressing an opinion, but your setup is like a bad OEM; is it? 1 stick of ram with Ryzen, and a 1030 is a poor pairing considering the rest of the system. I know budgets can be really tight, but I'd have found a better card used, and went 4x2 on the ram.

Hoowiebow

Jan 26, 2019
Okay I will reinstall the NVIDIA drivers.

How do I flash the newest UEFI? Is it the BIOS? And what is XMP in this context?

There were no special events in the event viewer as you can see in the attached screenhot.

Can you recommend a memtest software?

Yes maybe if the budget allows I`ll buy a new NVIDIA. ;-)

Attachments

• System3.png
    System3.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 2

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
you can google for how to run the memory diagnostic in windows, or download memtest86. The UEFI is indeed the bios, and ASUS has a utility in there for flashing it. The instruction are also in the manual or a quick search at Asus' site. Just make certain it is connected to the internet. I have flashed a number of Asus boards that way with zero problems. XMP is a profile for the ram that lets it run its rated speed. Provided it and your Ryzen play nice. It is explained again, with a quick google search. I would link everything but I am all about the give a man a fish v. teaching him to fish proverb.

Hoowiebow

Jan 26, 2019
Ok thank you I will search for it!

By the way yesterday I already tried to do memtests. Windows memtest was okay without any negative results. Then I started some instances of memtest86 since I have 8 GB RAM and it seems to be too big for one instance. After around 14 hours you can see the results in the attached picture. The 2nd instance had only a coverage of 1.7% after that long time. Maybe this is the problem or did I do anything wrong here?

Maybe a linux usb drive wouldn`t help because I had to start some games. In normal and simple operations my computer runs fine.

Attachments

• memtest.png
    memtest.png
    10 KB · Views: 4

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Hmmm, if you find it still resetting itself after reinstalling the drivers and ruling out software. It's pretty easy to just yank all the reset/power/led/speaker/ etc...etc.. off the motherboard... and run it that way. Just yank the power switch off, last (after you power it up) of course. ;) Easy to do, and then you rule can rule out any of those connections. After that, I'd try a new P/S if you got one laying around... Then, try swapping ram sticks, if you got 4, try 2 of them, if it still resets, yank those out try the other two... lastly, would be to take the motherboard out of the case and run it on the motherboard box. Hopefully you won't have to go that far. Process of elimination.

Good Luck!

Hoowiebow

Jan 26, 2019
Now I flashed my BIOS with the latest ASUS driver but my system still crashes. I also tried the system file checker without any results.

What is a P/S? I neither have another mainboard, graphics card nor RAM laying around here.
What do you mean by running the motherboard on the motherboard box?

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
P/S = Power Supply...

Basically it means pulling the motherboard out of the case ... Sometimes a standoff misplaced can cause some bad mojo. A lot of people make crude test bench ... heck a lot of people test the hardware running on the motherboard box, before installing it to make sure everything works. Good idea... :)