PC Reboot under heavy Load

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

quyeno

May 11, 2003
Hi

I've had the ocassional random BSOD where memory dumps were done but not recently, I've just check the settings and it is set to create a small memory dump and I've disabled auto restart. But like i said before, I've not a BDSO when my pc reboots from heavy load. Even on the chance that happens really fast, I'd have thought I would get a glimpse of Blue on screen.

I ran Memtest+ via dos this morning, left on for over 10hrs, its did 9.7 cycles and zero errors which is good. Will try the Intel Burn test next. Question about the burn test. Is it important to use all available memory? I've noticed the amount of memory changes depending on how severe the test is performed and the more severe the test the longer it takes. I did a quick test last night before bed, left it for about 40min on the Extreme setting for 10 cycles and I didn't even get one line of report!

Going round to my mate's tonight to test the gtx580 again, this time with furmark and OCCT. A guy at work suggested running the GTX580 in the second PCIE slot. He reckons its possibly a dying motherboard where the voltage regulation is somehow screwed and not making the PCIE slot work properly. I'll give that a shot later after testing round at my mates. One the plus side, I found a vendor who still has P7P55D variants! don't need to worry about sourcing a replacement mobo now. :)

Last edited:

quyeno

May 11, 2003
This has been danced around but just wanted to add that it may be BSODs and not reboots but Windows is auto-restarting. In W7 you can turn this on/off and also make sure you get a memory dump in the control panel --> system and security --> advanced system settings on the advanced tab and under startup and recovery.

Could be any number of issues, voltages, RAM, ram settings, drivers. Mem dump may help isolate the issue.

Hi

I'm running everything at stock at the moment so stuff like timings, voltages etc. 'shouldn't' be the issue unless the component is faulty. But the bummer is that I'm not getting a BSOD before reboots and Event Logs doesnt catch anything either, I actually wish I would get a BSOD! at least then we'll have some info to work with.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Hi

I've had the ocassional random BSOD where memory dumps were done but not recently, I've just check the settings and it is set to create a small memory dump and I've disabled auto restart. But like i said before, I've not a BDSO when my pc reboots from heavy load. Even on the chance that happens really fast, I'd have thought I would get a glimpse of Blue on screen.

I ran Memtest+ via dos this morning, left on for over 10hrs, its did 9.7 cycles and zero errors which is good. Will try the Intel Burn test next. Question about the burn test. Is it important to use all available memory? I've noticed the amount of memory changes depending on how severe the test is performed and the more severe the test the longer it takes. I did a quick test last night before bed, left it for about 40min on the Extreme setting for 10 cycles and I didn't even get one line of report!

Going round to my mate's tonight to test the gtx580 again, this time with furmark and OCCT. A guy at work suggested running the GTX580 in the second PCIE slot. He reckons its possibly a dying motherboard where the voltage regulation is somehow screwed and not making the PCIE slot work properly. I'll give that a shot later after testing round at my mates. One the plus side, I found a vendor who still has P7P55D variants! don't need to worry about sourcing a replacement mobo now. :)

You can start using Intel Burn Test on the normal setting, no need for extreme. But if you ran extreme for 40 minutes without a crash, I'd say you're not going to pick up the problem here.

Wow, it's starting to sound like it might be a GPU issue. Good idea to test in another system (or borrow another video card to use in your system).

UNhooked

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
See if you can find any bulging caps on the mobo. If it's not the ram then it sounds like a power delivery issue a.k.a mobo going bad.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
And if you have 0 errors, run a better test... Seriously, I don't mean to be condescending but its really not a good test suite. Why waste time on it when there are other testing options out there? If it does generate an error, great, there's your problem. If it doesn't. You might still have a problem. I stopped using it back in the DDR1 days when it failed to generate an error on a system that had similar issues. I ran Prime95 blend and got an error in 5 minutes. Played around with my memory config until I isolated the bad stick. Replaced it and all was well. Memtest86 gave me the same results (pass) with or without the bad stick. My System stability did not.
I tend to use multiple test programs to narrow things down, and all the times I have seen memtest86+ (note the +) say it had errors, the RAM did turn out to be bad. When it said no errors, then it has been pretty accurate in my experiences.
Using OCCT & prime95 to find CPU issues is also good in trying to find issues.
However, I have never had memtest86+ pass on RAM that wasn't bad. I don't mean doing 1 pass either, I let it run at least 5 passes.

I am not saying the GPU can't be bad, since I had that also happen as well, and for me, it was repeatable if I ran one of races in crysis.
It also failed Furmark.
You just need to test everything out before you can find the troubled component.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
You can start using Intel Burn Test on the normal setting, no need for extreme. But if you ran extreme for 40 minutes without a crash, I'd say you're not going to pick up the problem here.

Wow, it's starting to sound like it might be a GPU issue. Good idea to test in another system (or borrow another video card to use in your system).

You'll probably want to set the stress level to high or custom as the difference between them and normal is the amount of memory being tested. The hidden "extreme" option sets the priority level for IBT process above everything else.

quyeno

May 11, 2003
Hi,

I tested the GTX580 in my mate's machine which has a thermaltake 850w psu and it rebooted his machine During Furmark and OCCT gpu test, whereas his GTX560Ti was fine. So i think that's that (i hope).

I'll RMA the card and hopefully I shouldnt get anymore reboots.

The ram passed the intel burn test. I aso checked all the caps on the motherboard and they seems fine.

Thanks for all your help everyone, it was much appreciated.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Hi,

I tested the GTX580 in my mate's machine which has a thermaltake 850w psu and it rebooted his machine During Furmark and OCCT gpu test, whereas his GTX560Ti was fine. So i think that's that (i hope).

I'll RMA the card and hopefully I shouldnt get anymore reboots.

The ram passed the intel burn test. I aso checked all the caps on the motherboard and they seems fine.

Thanks for all your help everyone, it was much appreciated.

I'm so glad you figured this out. It seems it wasn't the memory or motherboard after all, but at least you know you checked off all the possibilities.

quyeno

May 11, 2003
Thanks mate. Who would have a faulty gfx would cause a system reboot. I'm a few hairs greyer but a whole lot more wiser now in the art of system troubleshooting thanks to all you guys.

My bro just dropped off my old GTX275, got it installed and ran OCCT fine for 10mins which is good enough for me to show that the motherboard is fine. Come to think of it I reckon my TX650W is probably fine and may not have needed to buy that expensive AX850 now, haha.

Fingers crossed now that MSI can't fix my card and are fresh out of GTX580s.....free upgrade to a 680! :p Here's hoping anyways.

Nov 26, 2005
Who would have a faulty gfx would cause a system reboot.

Hmm. Memory issues are usually BSOD errors right? (rhetorical) PC freezing up can be a few things, generally i start with vcore here then look onto other electrical areas. Random reboots sounds like one component is not co-operating with another component then that could lead to looking into software and driver related issues. Have you recently updated any software e.g. GPU drivers?

edit: definitely stick with testing the memory like people have mentioned above.

maybe this guy? sounds like he was on the right hunch ;)

EDIT: wait, have you cross checked your PSU?

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Congrats! You have what I referred to as an 'extremely rare' issue. Seriously though, you did good figuring it out. That is one of those issues that one feels good about figuring out, but hopes they never have to go through again.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Thanks mate. Who would have a faulty gfx would cause a system reboot.

IMO, any faulty piece of hardware could cause a spontaneous reboot (except probably a faulty wireless mouse - though a faulty wireless receiver for a wireless mouse conceivably could).

Last edited: