PC Reboot under heavy Load

quyeno

May 11, 2003
Hi

I would really appreciate any help with this problem I've been having since Dec.

My system:
i5 running at stock
Asus P7P55D
MSI TwinFrozr II GTX580 OC at stock
Corsair AX850 (was TX650W)
4x 2gig Geil RAM

Temps. CPU 28-31 at idle, SYS 30, GPU 46C at idle. My room is pretty cool.

I've had this system since 2009 and bought the GTX580 back in April. I used to run the system OCd i5 was running at 4GHz. I've been playing Battlefield3 for ages and have for long sessions and everything was ok.

Then at the start of Dec, my system rebooted randomly when I tried playing BF3. The TX650W eventually stopped powering up my GTX580 but somehow worked with my old GTX275. I bought a new PSU, AX850, and set everything up and the GTX580 is working again. However my PC reboots again when playing BF3, i get no more than 10 mins.

I ran OCCT on my cpu and its fine, but when i run the GPU test my pc reboots after a couple of minutes.

Now, surely it can't be the PSU its more than ample for this system and its new. So could it be a faulty graphics card or perhap a faulty motherboard or bad PCIe slot? I don't get any artefacts on either monitor (i'm running 2) and when my pc boots I only get one post beep which means everything is in order.

I've also ran GPU-Z and its reporting 12V = 12.17V, VDDC = 1.012V, VDDC Current = 19.0A and VDDC Power = 19.0W

I started loggin with GPU-Z and my pc rebooted the GPU temp was only 57C!
Any help would great, i'm at a lost!

Thanks
Quyeno

Last edited:

quyeno

May 11, 2003
The graphics card is 46C idle and when I ran OCCT my PC rebooted when the GPU temp was only 57C.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
He said 57c and it restarts by itself.

If everything is stock and its doing this I would think its the PSU or RAM .........if it reboots like that , that is a stability problem,, either OCed or PSU not sending enough juice to card or RAM. Lets hope its not anything big.....

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Ok, sounds like your temps are good.

1. What is the power situation outside the case?
2. Any errors showing in the event logs?
3. Have you tried telling the computer to not to automatically restart in Startup and Recovery options?
4. Try running the PC on one stick of RAM at a time (or 2 to save time) to see if you have a stick gone bad.
a. Alternatively, you may first want to try upping the voltage and/or downing the speed of the RAM.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Reboots usually are from BSODs.
Disable that, and you can see what the actual BSOD error screen says.

I would run memtest86+ (free) overnight to make sure you have no errors.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
eh, memtest86 isn't very good at testing memory... HCI Memtest is better as is Prime95 blend.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
eh, memtest86 isn't very good at testing memory... HCI Memtest is better as is Prime95 blend.

At the rate this is a occurring, I would just take out a couple sticks and fire up a game of BF3.

quyeno

May 11, 2003
Ok, sounds like your temps are good.

1. What is the power situation outside the case?
2. Any errors showing in the event logs?
3. Have you tried telling the computer to not to automatically restart in Startup and Recovery options?
4. Try running the PC on one stick of RAM at a time (or 2 to save time) to see if you have a stick gone bad.
a. Alternatively, you may first want to try upping the voltage and/or downing the speed of the RAM.

1. The PC is just running from a mains, I have multiplug gang with 5 plugs in it but only 4 is ever powered (2 monitors, PC and speaker sub)

2. I've looked at event logs and nothing. I'v even cleared it and it catches nothing, i'm guessing somehow the reboot is hardware related and not software hence why Event Log is not catching anything?

3. Not sure what you mean by this?

4. The RAM was running at 1.65V when I overclocked teh CPU but is not running at stock voltages. My RAM is GSkill so its pretty good quality stuff. I'll run memtest and OCCT CPU again for longer as it tests the cpu and the memory for errors.

quyeno

May 11, 2003
Reboots usually are from BSODs.
Disable that, and you can see what the actual BSOD error screen says.

I would run memtest86+ (free) overnight to make sure you have no errors.

I'm not getting a BSOD, just a hard reboot.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
This is now getting worse. My PC just rebooted, all I was doing was browsing.

It's the memory. Pull two sticks as ketchup suggested.

By the way, you said Geil in the OP but gskill in a later post. Which is it? If it's a mixture, that's likely the problem. Even if it isn't, it's still a memory issue. Were the kits even rated for 1.65v.

By the way, my bet is that you never actually had a psu problem.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
RAM: I would rely on memtest86+ v4.2 most of the time, followed with prime95.

Gfx - other games to test with? A graphics card demo?

Nov 26, 2005
Something is failing. Make sure none of the CPU power saving features are on in the bios. e.g. C1E, Speed-step, Turbo.. basically turn off all CPU features, and any power saving options in your bios.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Something is failing. Make sure none of the CPU power saving features are on in the bios. e.g. C1E, Speed-step, Turbo.. basically turn off all CPU features, and any power saving options in your bios.

IMO, leave this for if/when you are trying to troubleshoot a board or CPU problem. Even then, disabling C1E will cause a higher power draw, stressing the PSU, motherboard, CPU and RAM.

quyeno

May 11, 2003
Test the graphics card more thoroughly.

Yeah, I tested it before on my mates PC with a Thermaltake 850W and it was fine but we only played Dishonoured for 15mins. Will test it again when he's next free and this time run OCCT GPU test and Furmark on it.

quyeno

May 11, 2003
It's the memory. Pull two sticks as ketchup suggested.

By the way, you said Geil in the OP but gskill in a later post. Which is it? If it's a mixture, that's likely the problem. Even if it isn't, it's still a memory issue. Were the kits even rated for 1.65v.

By the way, my bet is that you never actually had a psu problem.

Hi,

Yeah my bad, it's definately GSkill. The sticks are rated for 1.65v. Here's a link when I was researching just before I built my system but had already bought the ram.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1874

Last edited:

quyeno

May 11, 2003
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your input, it's very much appreciated. The latest so far...

Regarding the random reboot while browsing, my pc wasnt on for very long at all and was replying to this thread. I then did a search for the latest Memtest, middle mouse click a link and boom, PC rebooted. After it rebooted, same thing happened again.

I've got the memory running at default speeds as I've set my BIOS to default. I ran Memtest 4.0 Pro in windows, the cycle ran for 135% and no errors.

Next thing to do is run Memtest in DOS. Will test my gfx card better in my mates PC aswell.

Another observation, I've noticed that while my speaker are on and connected to PC via the rear audio outputs I sometimes get a burst of crackling. I've noticed now in the past few days, its not very regular. Could this be a sign of power fluctuations? My guess is maybe the motherboard power regulation is failing? However I've checked my BIOS and the power readings are 3.3V = 3.424v, 5V = 5.064V and 12v = 12.320, which seems ok to me.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Do as suggested, now a few times - remove all the RAM but one to at least fully rule out the RAM.

I had an old P35 E8400 system that, like yours, would just randomly reboot. It was fine for almost a year, then started to reboot once a week to almost every 30 minutes. No Event Log, no BSOD, nothing just hard reboot.

I trouble shot everything I could think of. Stock, everything, RAM passed 12 HR DOS Memtest burn in. Finally tried just one stick, issue gone. Tried 2 sticks, issue gone, tried 3 sticks, Reboots. No combination of sticks pass 2 would work.

Later found out that the P35 and ICH5 had issues with RAM not withing voltage spec.

Nov 26, 2005
Hmm. Memory issues are usually BSOD errors right? (rhetorical) PC freezing up can be a few things, generally i start with vcore here then look onto other electrical areas. Random reboots sounds like one component is not co-operating with another component then that could lead to looking into software and driver related issues. Have you recently updated any software e.g. GPU drivers?

edit: definitely stick with testing the memory like people have mentioned above.