Question PC Not Booting With Intel Q9650 CPU??

Gtlogic10

Jul 15, 2020
Hello Guys,

I have an older LGA 775 motherboard and processor which worked as usual prior.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 9650 from Q6600
Motherboard: XFX MB-N650-IUL9 P05 (NForce 650i Chipset)
PSU: Circle 850W Modular
Memory 8GB DDR2 800
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB

I recently bought a Intel Q9650 processor and also a couple of Crucial 240GB SSDs and fitted it in the motherboard. I also changed the CMOS battery with new one as I have't used for around 6 months.

When I booted the PC I don't get any beep from the alarm not any display info on the monitor. I have checked with single RAM stick instead of 4 but it's stays the same. The green motherboard power light is on as well as orange light above the memory slots. The SMPS, heatsync and graphics card fans are spinning normally.

This motherboard doesn't have an onboard GPU. I haven't reverted back to the Q6600. Kindly let me know on this with your valuable support and guidance.

Thanks & Regards,
Gtlogic10

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
The XFX 650i you have there is from June of 2007, and it was right on the precipice of the upcoming 45nm stuff, but preceded it a bit. Info is vague, but most Nvidia 6xx chipset 775 boards did not in fact support Q9xxx, with some rare exceptions, usually with the full 680 series boards, and afaik never with 610/630s.

If I had to guess, it would be that the board you have is one that is missing the proper support. It's also probably arbitrary, as in they *could* have updated them, but chose not to for whatever reason. I say this because most all 6xx Nforce 775 boards DID get support for 45nm dual core wolfdale.

In any case, if it's performance you're after, you may be in luck. Your old kit (CPUs, DDR2, Mobo) could almost certainly be sold for enough $ to outright replace it with something more modern, with proper SATA 3/6Gbps and USB 3.0, etc. Even an i3 of Sandy Bridge era would be faster for almost everything, and an i5 would hands down be better in all respects.

Just as an example of something monumentally more powerful than a Core 2 Quad, check this out : lot of power for the $, drop your SSDs in, and you can even use the W7P key on the case to install W10P.

Loads of other good cheap options out there as well. I'm just putting it out there as finding a decent deal on a compatible S775 board is probably more expensive than would make sense to pursue, but you never know.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200715-221051.png
    Screenshot_20200715-221051.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Same question was posted two days ago on Tom's:

Same basic answer, too. Not compatible.

Reactions: Gtlogic10

Gtlogic10

Jul 15, 2020
Thanks so much guys...will try find a compatible board for the Q9650 and revert back with Q6600 in the XFX board. I will upgrade next year possibly with Ryzen 7 or 9.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Thanks so much guys...will try find a compatible board for the Q9650 and revert back with Q6600 in the XFX board. I will upgrade next year possibly with Ryzen 7 or 9.
I would go the Xeon route until you get your Ryzen7/9. I put together a dual-socket Xeon with 2 hexcore CPUs for like $60 total (without memory) to run an ancient game on windows XP. I think the hex core Xeons were $12 each on ebay.

Reactions: Arkaign

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
The XFX 650i you have there is from June of 2007, and it was right on the precipice of the upcoming 45nm stuff, but preceded it a bit. Info is vague, but most Nvidia 6xx chipset 775 boards did not in fact support Q9xxx, with some rare exceptions, usually with the full 680 series boards, and afaik never with 610/630s.

If I had to guess, it would be that the board you have is one that is missing the proper support. It's also probably arbitrary, as in they *could* have updated them, but chose not to for whatever reason. I say this because most all 6xx Nforce 775 boards DID get support for 45nm dual core wolfdale.

In any case, if it's performance you're after, you may be in luck. Your old kit (CPUs, DDR2, Mobo) could almost certainly be sold for enough $ to outright replace it with something more modern, with proper SATA 3/6Gbps and USB 3.0, etc. Even an i3 of Sandy Bridge era would be faster for almost everything, and an i5 would hands down be better in all respects.

Just as an example of something monumentally more powerful than a Core 2 Quad, check this out : lot of power for the $, drop your SSDs in, and you can even use the W7P key on the case to install W10P.

Loads of other good cheap options out there as well. I'm just putting it out there as finding a decent deal on a compatible S775 board is probably more expensive than would make sense to pursue, but you never know.

Boom. What a blast from the past, what a great answer. Kudos to you, sir.

Reactions: VirtualLarry