PC keeps rebooting while gaming

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Almost in all games except (League of legends), my GPU temperature goes to around 83°C and then my pc just reboots. Is this a temperature issue or is my PSU getting old?
I have an ANTEC earthwatts 650W which i've been using for a good 4 -5 years. Also, i've been using this card with the same PSU for around 2 years. My CPU temperatures are fine and acceptable.
Any solutions? I'll try changing the thermal paste on the GPU and check, but i've read on forums that the 980ti goes up to around 90°C at load on certain games, so i'm not really sure what's triggering the reboots.
I'm on stock cpu config btw right now with no overclocking. Please help.

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
4-5 year old psu, wondering if its on its way out and not delivering stable voltages/amps.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
4-5 year old psu, wondering if its on its way out and not delivering stable voltages/amps.
Ok, so that is the issue right? Should i just go ahead and order a new one? I just wanted to pinpoint the exact cause that's all.

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
Ok, so that is the issue right? Should i just go ahead and order a new one? I just wanted to pinpoint the exact cause that's all.

NOTHING is guaranteed.

PSU is my initial reaction to what you've written though.

What does your cpu temp get to, and the water temp if you can see that?

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
NOTHING is guaranteed.

PSU is my initial reaction to what you've written though.

What does your cpu temp get to, and the water temp if you can see that?

Cpu temp gets to 62°C max at full load. I don't know what water temperature is. I'm no longer on the H100 cooler btw, i'm using the Noctua NH-D15 cooler.

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
Cpu temp gets to 62°C max at full load. I don't know what water temperature is. I'm no longer on the H100 cooler btw, i'm using the Noctua NH-D15 cooler.

Ah never mind that then.

Has anyone got a known good power supply they can lend you to test?

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
Hmm, that may be a little difficult since friends near me have only 450W psu max.

Shame.

Well if you can afford a new power supply, there's no harm in getting one. But if you can go to a local hardware shop and fling them a few bucks to test the PSU for you, even better.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Ok, so i managed to reapply the thermal paste(the earlier paste had almost dried off and was in chunks). Temperatures are down a good 10-15°C. However, my pc still rebooted when gpu temp was at 75°C. So this has to be a PSU problem right?

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
Ok, so i managed to reapply the thermal paste(the earlier paste had almost dried off and was in chunks). Temperatures are down a good 10-15°C. However, my pc still rebooted when gpu temp was at 75°C. So this has to be a PSU problem right?

Yeah your GPU should be good until 85. And thermal shutdown should be around 92 I think.

It sounds like the power supply to me, but we'll check the ram too, you can run memtest software or just remove 1 stick at a time and perform the action thats causing the crashes (ie, gaming)

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Damn, i completely forgot about the possibility of RAM corruption. Ok, i'll check it out tonight and let you know in about 12 hours. Thanks.

Reactions: Crumpet

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
It could be gpu overheating. The Nvidia reference were only hitting the mid 80's at full load, and sereral aftermarket cards much less.

www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_980_Ti_SC_Plus/34.html

Blow out the dust, confirm the gpu fans are spinning, and see if things don't get any better.
It isnt the heating issue since my temp only reached 75°C and the restart happened. Will do a memtest to ascertain the problem.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
You could also turn OFF the "automatically reboot on error" in Windows, and see if it is a BSOD.
Also check event viewer for any warnings/error messages.

Finally, get HWMonitor, and then use prime95 / furrmark and run those, and keep your eye on the voltages. If they get out of range, you have your answer.