PC keep restarting. Do I need power stabilizer?

Crius Black

Dec 4, 2017
Hi...

My PC keep restarting in every 5 - 10 minutes. I tried to troubleshoot everything including disabling "auto restrat" option and formatting my PC and doing clean install. Still the problem is there.
Then I suspected power fluctuation issue. So I tried to connect my whole PC system in my neighbor's house and same problem happened.

Later I connected my PC at my uncle's house in another area and it doesn't restart. So temporarily I came to conclusion that it is may be because of power fluctuations in my area.

The issue just started since last 2 months. Complained to electricity officials but you know how these organizations work in India.

Below are my PC configuration.

Intel i7 6700k
Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Ranger
32 GB G-skill Ripjaws (8GBx4)
240 GB Kingston SSD
4 TB WD HDD (1TB x 4)
4 GB Asus GTX 960 DDR 5 Graphics Card
Heatsink liquid Seidon 120m
LG DVD Writer
600W Cooler Master SMPS

22" Dell S2216H LED (2 Monitors)
Creative SBS A-355 2.1 Speaker
Wacom Pen Tablet
APC BR 1100CJ-IN UPS
Keyboard Mouse

My UPS is in great condition and in power failures, give 20 minutes of backup. But it can't prevent restart. Also I keep all my drivers up to date.

The total power consumption of my PC comes around 1200W I guess. Do you think I need a voltage stabilizer? If Yes, then which is best? My budget is around 8K INR.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
1200 watts isn't realistic for that setup; not sure where you're getting that.

make sure that the computer is using the correct power outlets on the UPS (not all UPS have full battery backup for all ports)

if that doesn't help, replace the PSU or try another one. regardless of the fluctuation, the UPS should be able to handle the intermittent losses if any.

Crius Black

Dec 4, 2017
1200 watts isn't realistic for that setup; not sure where you're getting that.

make sure that the computer is using the correct power outlets on the UPS (not all UPS have full battery backup for all ports)

if that doesn't help, replace the PSU or try another one. regardless of the fluctuation, the UPS should be able to handle the intermittent losses if any.

1200W was just my guess. Yeah I made sure everything regarding power supply. Even I contacted APC guys and their technician came to check the UPS and they didn't find any problem. Still it restarts.
Also the major thing is, it doesn't restart in other city area as I shifted my PC for resting purpose.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
When you connected your PC in another area, was it connected to the UPS there as well?

Crius Black

Dec 4, 2017
When you connected your PC in another area, was it connected to the UPS there as well?
No. It wasn't connected to UPS. I connected it directly to the power supply there and it didn't restart.
But, while troubleshooting at my home, I removed UPS and directly connected it to power supply and it restarted again.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
can you confirm that, when the computer is running off of your UPS at home, the UPS will support the entire machine if you unplug it? if the UPS is in fact working correctly, pulling the plug while everything is on shouldn't interrupt your machine at all.

Crius Black

Dec 4, 2017
can you confirm that, when the computer is running off of your UPS at home, the UPS will support the entire machine if you unplug it? if the UPS is in fact working correctly, pulling the plug while everything is on shouldn't interrupt your machine at all.
I switched on my PC. Then disconnected the main power supply keeping PC only on UPS.
It didn't restart. After 15 minutes UPS started to beep frequently as it's backup limit.
Then I switched on the main supply. And BOOM. It restarted within 2 minutes.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
hmm. that almost sounds like an internal hardware issue, but that doesn't make sense unless the computer working fine at your uncle's place was simply a coincidence.

the only thing I can think of is that the PSU is detecting some kind of surge or spike and it's killing the feed to prevent hardware damage. if there was stable current at the other location this wouldn't happen but it's gotta be the power supply itself, faulting out.

Crius Black

Dec 4, 2017
hmm. that almost sounds like an internal hardware issue, but that doesn't make sense unless the computer working fine at your uncle's place was simply a coincidence.

the only thing I can think of is that the PSU is detecting some kind of surge or spike and it's killing the feed to prevent hardware damage. if there was stable current at the other location this wouldn't happen but it's gotta be the power supply itself, faulting out.
So can u please suggest what I should do? Any other tests ?
Also since my last reply, I switched on the main supply, PC restarted within 2 minutes. But now it is almost 20-25 minutes and it didn't restart till I am posting this reply.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I would suggest a completely different PSU to start, if possible. If not, the only other thing I can recommend is to double check all of your connections, especially the CPU and PCIe connectors; look for unwanted contact with unused cables if any. I would also eliminate any grounding issues by placing the tower somewhere away from other conductive surfaces (if the tower has rubber feet this shouldn't be an issue). That's a long shot, but bizarre things do occur more often than not.

Are you using any power adapters like molex to PCI power or anything like that?

Crius Black

Dec 4, 2017
I would suggest a completely different PSU to start, if possible. If not, the only other thing I can recommend is to double check all of your connections, especially the CPU and PCIe connectors; look for unwanted contact with unused cables if any. I would also eliminate any grounding issues by placing the tower somewhere away from other conductive surfaces (if the tower has rubber feet this shouldn't be an issue). That's a long shot, but bizarre things do occur more often than not.

Are you using any power adapters like molex to PCI power or anything like that?
1. Okay. I will check it with another PSU.
2. Tower is on the wooden surface plus it has rubber feet.
3. I have also uploaded my restart/shutdown log. You can look at it and see how frequently it happens since last 2 months.

Link removed.
That site is rated as "caution"
by Norton Safe Web, with known identity threats.

Feel free to do a screen grab, and post the image
on one of the many free pic hosting sites.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
No. It wasn't connected to UPS. I connected it directly to the power supply there and it didn't restart.
But, while troubleshooting at my home, I removed UPS and directly connected it to power supply and it restarted again.

Does the UPS work ok if you shut off the mains power while connected to the UPS?
I notice that the UPS model outputs stepped wave which might not be compatible with the psu.

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
Well until you test it with an another PSU we cannot say for sure. What were you doing when the PC was restarting ? playing games ? watching video ?

How are other electrical appliances in your house working?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Last edited: