PC Headset Recommendation

cmac813

Sep 13, 2012
My old Plantronics Gamecom 367's left side snapped in half, the sound and mic still works but they don't fit right on my head anymore so I'm looking for some recommendations for a new headset. I use them for gaming and watching movies on my computer and listening to some music. I'd like to keep the price to around $100.

I've looked at the Gamecom 380 and 780 as well as the Steelseries V2 which are a lot more expensive. I don't care about the brand or how stylish they are as long as it's a good headset for close to the budget. Thanks for the help.

cmac813

cmac813

Sep 13, 2012
I'm on my 2nd Sound Blaster Arena Surround Headset. No complaints. First one died after about 2 years of abuse (bad usb connection).

Thanks for the suggestion, those look interesting, not very expensive either. I've seen a lot of posts on forums about how you can get much better sound with non gaming headphones and just a clip on mic, has anyone gone this route and has it made much of a difference?

My current 367's are the only gaming headset I've ever had, I normally just use the ipod headphones so I'm not sure I really need a top of the line headphones since I'm used to the 367's. Unless there really is a big difference between gaming headsets and other headphones. Thanks.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
It depends on what you care about more: audiophile-quality sounds, or hearing things well enough to play.

If you're not super into audio, pretty much any quality headset will be more than plenty. If the shitty ipod headphones are enough for you, then you don't need to run out and buy some crazy $300 Polk Audio headphones. I'm a big fan of the Razer Carcharias, though it's a little big. Solid build quality, Better audio quality than most desktop PC speakers, and a quality mic. The cord is also fairly sturdy, i've gotten it caught in the wheels of my chair multiple times (the cord is like 10ft long, one of the only downsides) and it's still running strong after two years.

I got it on sale for something like $70, not sure what it goes for now.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
You should go to your local best buy and look at the selection in your store. Every now and then they put things on sale but you won't see it unless you're in the store. They've got several pairs in your price range but you should have a look for yourself. Sound is subjective and only you can tell what is right for you.

cmac813

Sep 13, 2012
Thanks for the tips guys, I didn't look at the Carcharias before but I'll check it out. I did like the Razer BlackShark but mostly because they have a BF3 one it looks cool but it's $130 which is a bit much for me to consider just because it looks cool. I'll have to head over to the closest best buy and see what they have there, thanks again.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Thanks for the tips guys, I didn't look at the Carcharias before but I'll check it out. I did like the Razer BlackShark but mostly because they have a BF3 one it looks cool but it's $130 which is a bit much for me to consider just because it looks cool. I'll have to head over to the closest best buy and see what they have there, thanks again.

This is what you need. Look at reviews first then decide.

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-RZ04-005.../dp/B0072CM4JO

Razer Tiamat Expert 2.2 Stereo Analog Gaming Headset

or this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-...ser+350+gaming

L0ne

Feb 4, 2013
I would just buy a high quality pair of studio/audiophile headphones and then use a clip-on or boom mic. Gaming headsets are mostly overpriced for what you get, and in most instances you can get a pair of headphones that offer greatly improved sound quality at the same price point.

I don't know if we're allowed to link to other boards here, so Google "Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide" to find a ton of really helpful information on the subject.

cmac813

Sep 13, 2012
I would just buy a high quality pair of studio/audiophile headphones and then use a clip-on or boom mic. Gaming headsets are mostly overpriced for what you get, and in most instances you can get a pair of headphones that offer greatly improved sound quality at the same price point.

I don't know if we're allowed to link to other boards here, so Google "Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide" to find a ton of really helpful information on the subject.

Thanks for the suggestion L0ne, I'll check that out. I've never really thought of getting a pair of headphones and a clip-on mic but that seems to be what a lot of people recommend so I'll have to look into it more.