Intel 3570K
Asus P8Z77-V
Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2*4GB
Asus GTX 670
Samsung 830 128GB
Corsair HX520
Windows 7

OK guys I need your help on this one:

I built this rig about a year ago, no problems whatsoever. Until now.

Computer POSTs and the Windows 7 "Starting windows" screen comes up the 4 colorored lights form the Windows logo. Everything freezes. 5-10 seconds later the screen goes black and nothing more happens.

This is what I have checked:

1. SSD. It boots into Windows on my old machine.

2. SATA cable between SSD and motherboard. Changed it. No difference.

3. SATA port on motherboard. Changed from the 6GB to 3GB port. No difference. Even tried the Marvell port. Same thing.

4. BIOS. Reset into default settings (I had a modest 4.2 OC with +0.01 offset voltage). Still nothing. Updated to latest BIOS. Again no difference.

5. RAM. Ran with only stick. Tried the other stick alone. Same thing. Ran Memtest86 with both single stick configurations. Computer reboots after 7-8 seconds of testing. With Memtest86+ the tests doesn't even start the program hangs immediately.

So what to do?

As I see it either both my RAM sticks went bad at the same time OR this is a motherboard problem. But I can't come up with more things to test.

Any input is appreciated...

Thanks in advance... :)

pete1229

Feb 12, 2011
Since you can boot up using safe mode, go ahead and do that again, then use system restore and choose a restore point prior to when this error started, If that fails or you have no restore points, try using "Advanced Boot Options" in the Windows 7 by hitting the F8 key just as or just before the Windows 7 splash screen begins to load and choose the "Last Known Good Configuration"

pete1229

Feb 12, 2011
Did you try repairing the MBR ?

Or try giving this a shot:

Reboot in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
When the boot script freezes at "CLASSPNP.SYS" line hit <ctrl><break>(Pause Key)
Windows should then continue to boot into safe mode
Then restart in normal mode and see if that works.

666slacker

Dec 17, 2004
My head just exploded...

OK I had ONE more component in my setup. A WD 2TB storage drive. Unplugged it. Everything works as a charm.

Only problem: In desperation I formatted my SSD in order to solve the problem. &%¤#" this.... :(

Thanks everyone for your help. This place is the best. PEACE.... :DDD

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
My head just exploded...

OK I had ONE more component in my setup. A WD 2TB storage drive. Unplugged it. Everything works as a charm.

Only problem: In desperation I formatted my SSD in order to solve the problem. &%¤#" this.... :(

Thanks everyone for your help. This place is the best. PEACE.... :DDD

It would probably be a good idea for you to run some drive diagnostic tests on that hard drive to ensure it isn't developing a hardware fault.