Question PC gaming on the big LED screen display needs advice on HDMI cable

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
The display is a large LED 4k TCL series 8 also serves as my monitor. I need a large screen due to my poor vision (my age LOL)
The graphics card is a RTX 3060 TI with the following output connections supporting.
2x HDMI 2.1 3x DP 1.4a HDCP 2.3
The display only comes with 3 HDMI (I believe 2.0) and one HDMI e-ARC.
For now I am using just a good old HDMI cable for connectivity between the display and the 3060.
I game mostly in 2k or 1080p and gaming in flight sims and some 1st person shooter.
My understanding or assumption is no matter what type of cable(s) I used.
It should not make any difference so long the display does not support DP 1.4a or HDMI 2.1
That being said I would not benefit some of the goodies the 3060 TI has to offer (Ray lighting, G-Sync etc).
Am I wrong or partially correct?

Please entertain me. :)

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The HDMI cable doesn't matter as long as it works and you don't get a black screen. HDMI 2.1 is more picky about cables but your TV probably doesn't support that anyway.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Just got back from the trip and I learned this very fast.
You got to have both ends in order to benefit from DP1.4, HDR and G-Sync.
Both the monitor and the graphic card have to support these features.
No exceptions!

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
The way I see it. Display Port is the HDMI port of PC's. Obviously a little different and a little better depending on the generation of cable and port. For use with a TV. Any HDMI 2.0 certified HDMI cable will work just fine. If you are picky, get a HDMI 2.0 cable that is certified with the hologram sticker. Been there done that. I buy from monoprice and have both the sticker certified and the non certified but works the same HDMI 2.0 cables.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Well gaming on a big screen has largely one benefit: You get a big screen and that's about it.
That being said I decided to step up my game and I just bought an Asus TUF VG34VQL1B
gaming monitor.
So far so good as I still learn how to adjust the settings of it in which it could be a daunting tasks since there are so many features/benefits that sound like foreign language to me. LOL
Any help I can get from the forum to set this baby straight is highly welcome.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Well gaming on a big screen has largely one benefit: You get a big screen and that's about it.
That being said I decided to step up my game and I just bought an Asus TUF VG34VQL1B
gaming monitor.
So far so good as I still learn how to adjust the settings of it in which it could be a daunting tasks since there are so many features/benefits that sound like foreign language to me. LOL
Any help I can get from the forum to set this baby straight is highly welcome.
Turn on Freesync on your gaming display unless you decided to spend the big $$ on G-Sync. If you have an Nvidia card you can run Freesync in G-sync compatibility mode. Make sure you set your refresh rate to 165hz.

Reactions: VirtualLarry