PC gaming is not dying says Valve

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: skyofavalon
The PC will be brought back to life once BattleField 3 hits.Valve sucks.

I agree lol. :p Once BF3 comes around, I will be playing mucho.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: TehMac

battlefield sucks ass as evidenced by 2/3 of the series (BF2 and 2142).

bf2 was coded so poorly - i can't believe as many people played it as they did

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon

battlefield sucks ass as evidenced by 2/3 of the series (BF2 and 2142).

bf2 was coded so poorly - i can't believe as many people played it as they did

with that, it was surprisingly fun once a few patches came

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: Kromis
Valve says a lot of things

Meanwhile, companies like Epic just whine a lot.

Yes. While floating in money.

People seem to forget that video games are business first, entertainment second.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: ja1484

People seem to forget that video games are business first, entertainment second.

Thank you for stating the apparent, would you like a suit with your title, captain obvious?

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you go around and you look at all these different things that are happening on the PC, and you add them together, my hunch is that [the sales numbers] would actually be much larger than all of the consoles put together. Again, minus the DS, because the DS is this crazy thing by itself. But talking purely in terms of the Wii, the PS3, and the 360, if you added those together and looked at the whole picture, I'd bet you PC would be even, if not bigger than those three systems in terms of the money that's changing hands and the opportunity for doing business.

This is absurdly stupid, to be as positive towards it as I can be. He repeatedly talks about the huge revenue WoW is generating. Assuming(improperly, but to give his statement as much benefit as possible) every single WoW subscriber is paying $15 a month(they pay less in less developed nations) that is a total of 150Million a month, $1.8Billion a year. That is the biggest thing going in PC gaming atm and that is worldwide. Take2 had one game in one week on the consoles what Blizz makes off a WoW world wide in a quarter.

He also talks about Germany being bigger then any non DS console. There is another country named Japan, they sell a bit more then Germany and I think you will find the margin is far more skewed towards consoles then its' European counterpart. I'm not saying anything like PC gaming is dieing, but this guy is profoundly out to lunch with some of his comments.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

Thank you for stating the apparent, would you like a suit with your title, captain obvious?

Then maybe people who refuse to believe good games can exist on platforms other than the PC should stop their whining.

Y'know, if you want to point fingers about whining n all.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
I'd be more confident if something good actually came out since, oh, last December. Since buying Crysis in VERY early December, I've bought zero PC games and 5 PS3 games. So Age of Conan (?) is out, but I don't have time for an MMORPG. My computer is also getting old...

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Then maybe people who refuse to believe good games can exist on platforms other than the PC should stop their whining.

Bringing in irrelevant concepts ftw?

I think you're fighting a losing argument.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ShawnD1
Originally posted by: rstrohkirch
It's surprising that PC games are not dying. Today I helped my dad pick out a computer at Staples, and we left with a budget Compaq. I opened the case to put my old 7950GT video card in it, and right away there was a problem with getting the card to actually fit in the case. There's like a weird metal thing at the back that prevents cards from fitting until you break that metal thing off. After breaking that off and putting the card in the slot, I look for a 4-pin power connector.... it doesn't even have one. Then I look at the power supply, it's rated for 218W max.

So basically all prebuilt computers are totally incapable of playing any games. The entire PC gaming industry is held up by a small group of enthusiasts who like to build their own computers.

The cheap pre-built computer you bought at Staples doesn't allow much in the way of expansion. From that statement, you somehow have come to the conclusion that all computers built by any company are incapable of playing a video game.

There was also a quad core 6600 available, but it had no PCI-e slot. I had an eMachines in 1998 that was rated for 150W. My friend's "performance" Compaq P4 didn't come with an AGP slot.
If your computer came from an oem, there's a 99% chance it can't play anything made in the past 5 years.

HAHAHAHAHA

My 2 year old Acer TM8200 Notebook can and has played STALKER, Company of Heroes, The entire HL2 series, Star Wars Empire at War, CS Source, America's Army, and Ghost Recon AW. And most of those on medium-high graphics settings. Only recently have I started encountering games that force me to low settings.

I also played Rise of Nations (2003) on a 98 P3 Dell XPS, and that was with an ancient Matrox Dual-head G400.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Just because a computer comes from an OEM doesn't mean it can't play new/recent games. It all depends on the specs.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
Originally posted by: rstrohkirch
It's surprising that PC games are not dying. Today I helped my dad pick out a computer at Staples, and we left with a budget Compaq. I opened the case to put my old 7950GT video card in it, and right away there was a problem with getting the card to actually fit in the case. There's like a weird metal thing at the back that prevents cards from fitting until you break that metal thing off. After breaking that off and putting the card in the slot, I look for a 4-pin power connector.... it doesn't even have one. Then I look at the power supply, it's rated for 218W max.

So basically all prebuilt computers are totally incapable of playing any games. The entire PC gaming industry is held up by a small group of enthusiasts who like to build their own computers.

The cheap pre-built computer you bought at Staples doesn't allow much in the way of expansion. From that statement, you somehow have come to the conclusion that all computers built by any company are incapable of playing a video game.

I have a shitty compaq. It came with a athlon 64 and 512 mg of ram and a 250 watt PS.
Now it has an X2 2.5 gigs and a 480 watt PS. Its not hard to upgrade a pc....... that is kinda the whole damn point of having one.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
You guys should look at the posting of ShawnD1 as an example of the problem with pc gaming.
People go to best buy, staples and buy a PC.
They come home wanting to play a PC game.
They can't understand why the PC they just bought, can't play the PC game they just bought.
People don't want to educate themselves they want to just buy the product and use it.
That is why the console market is so huge, its not because of piracy.
Its because consoles are plug and play.

When people see PC they think that means all PC.
Just like when they see a game marked 360/PS3.
They think its just suppose to work because the box says its PC.

Want some fun ?
Try explaining to the average shopper that their are other operating systems besides windows and why they should consider them.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Try explaining to the average shopper that their are other operating systems besides windows and why they should consider them.

A longtime business associate of my family called me up the other day regarding a problem her daughter was having. It went something like this... "My daughter bought an Apple mac laptop and none of the programs she bought for her old Dell will install on it. Could you tell us what we are doing wrong?"

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

A longtime business associate of my family called me up the other day regarding a problem her daughter was having. It went something like this... "My daughter bought an Apple mac laptop and none of the programs she bought for her old Dell will install on it. Could you tell us what we are doing wrong?"

:laugh: I'm sorry, but that's inexcusable. People educate themselves about cars before buying them, computers are no different. For most people they're as vital as cars anyway.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

LOL
That was like my brother who bought a iMac at a local auction and brought it to me.
I told him it had no OS installed and that I would have to get a copy of the OS first.
He said "you don't have a copy of xp ?"

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

Bringing in irrelevant concepts ftw?

I think you're fighting a losing argument.

It's not an argument at all. The numbers speak for themselves.

Epic isn't so really whining so much as choosing to develop on another platform and telling people why. Most of the whining I hear comes from platform exclusivists who for some reason think you have to adhere and fanboy for a single platform.

You guys should look at the posting of ShawnD1 as an example of the problem with pc gaming.
People go to best buy, staples and buy a PC.
They come home wanting to play a PC game.
They can't understand why the PC they just bought, can't play the PC game they just bought.
People don't want to educate themselves they want to just buy the product and use it.
That is why the console market is so huge, its not because of piracy.
Its because consoles are plug and play.

When people see PC they think that means all PC.
Just like when they see a game marked 360/PS3.
They think its just suppose to work because the box says its PC.

Want some fun ?

Egg-zactly. The PC offers a broad, intricate platform capable of delivering experiences you can't get from a console no-how, no-way, but many people consider the requisite hardware and software knowledge (not to mention the time invested in keeping your knowledge current) too much trouble. Most of the gaming market (read: pre-pubescent and pubescent males) just wants to flip a switch and start murdering things.

This isn't to say that's the only kind of experience you can get on consoles - it isn't - but consoles are definitely the lowest-hassle method of accessing that kind of content at the moment.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
Originally posted by: samduhman

We pc gamers know this but try to tell that to the army of console fanboys. Maybe they will listen to someone who should know.

Interview with Valves Doug Lambardi

Why do you have to be a 'console fanboy' if you think PC gaming is not exactly at its peak? I grew up during the time when the PC market was at its peak and we're certainly nowhere near that point right now.

Err it was a record year every year for the last 3 years for PC gaming.

Im not seeing the dip ;)

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: Acanthus

We pc gamers know this but try to tell that to the army of console fanboys. Maybe they will listen to someone who should know.

Why do you have to be a 'console fanboy' if you think PC gaming is not exactly at its peak? I grew up during the time when the PC market was at its peak and we're certainly nowhere near that point right now.

Im not seeing the dip ;)

How do you want to define "peak"?

As we all know, the point of internet forums is to convince other people that your opinion is fact. For most of the goobs arguing on here, "peak" means "when they liked it most", not top sales.

This is, of course, why they have trouble reconciling the higher sales of software for consoles. PC games were the games they liked the most, so why on earth don't all developers focus on the PC platform? They should be more concerned with making good games than making money!

Those of us out here in the real world find this counterintuitive and ludicrous, but we're using adult thought processes, which is why there's such a disconnect between our perspective and theirs.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Acanthus

Im not seeing the dip ;)

How do you want to define "peak"?

As we all know, the point of internet forums is to convince other people that your opinion is fact. For most of the goobs arguing on here, "peak" means "when they liked it most", not top sales.

This is, of course, why they have trouble reconciling the higher sales of software for consoles. PC games were the games they liked the most, so why on earth don't all developers focus on the PC platform? They should be more concerned with making good games than making money!

Those of us out here in the real world find this counterintuitive and ludicrous, but we're using adult thought processes, which is why there's such a disconnect between our perspective and theirs.

Lol what is it with you and your vaunted "adult perspective"; and who is "those of us"? First the facebook deal in L&R, now this? Here's my opinion: Adults don't need to flaunt the fact that they're adults to prove their point. You sound more like me a couple of years ago talking about how "adult" I had become (when I was 18).

And most of us "goobs" don't have any trouble reconciling higher sales of console games. Anyone with half a brain can "reconcile" it. The vast majority of people out there aren't that sharp, and thus would rather play Halo 3 all day as opposed to a game that actually required serious thought. Boom! Reconciled.

We're simply idealists. My philosophy when it comes to my work is quality over quantity (within reason). IMO it's this philosophy that's brought us most of the quality games that are out there. Look at Blizzard and Valve. Aside from WoW, I (and many others) have not been disappointed by any game from either company, and both have produced relatively few games when compared to other giants such as EA. Both have also been extremely successful financially. I don't think Valve has ever touched the console market, and IIRC the last console game Blizzard made was back in the early 90s.

FYI: Your opinions are no more factual than anyone else's. Just because you find it counterintuitive doesn't make it wrong. I initially found recursive programming counterintuitive. Flat out rejecting it would have prevented me from learning advanced concepts out of willful ignorance.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: irishScottI don't think Valve has ever touched the console market

Orange Box was released for 360 and PS3. I'm not sure if it was any good or if it sold well, but there it is.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: irishScottI don't think Valve has ever touched the console market

Orange Box was released for 360 and PS3. I'm not sure if it was any good or if it sold well, but there it is.

Thanks, good to know. As for sales data, according to an interview with Doug Lombari:
http://liveforgaming.wordpress...s-figures-on-consoles/

Rob Wright: You released The Orange Box for both the PC and the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles. Were you happy with the business the console versions did, and how did it compare to the game?s PC sales?

Doug Lombari: We were very happy with both the Xbox 360 and PS3 sales. I think the Xbox 360 version did just over a million, while the PS3 [released later in December] version did a few hundred thousand copies. So I think when all is said and done, The Orange Box will have sold about 1.5 million copies on the console, which is great. But the game?s PC sales were much stronger.

Rob Wright: How much stronger, exactly?

Doug Lombari: I?d say significantly stronger, at least a two-digit percentage increase over the console sales. And that includes Steam sales, retail sales, and now individual sales of Portal, Team Fortress 2, and Half-Life 2: Episode 2. So when you take the PC numbers for The Orange Box a la carte, they?re significantly higher.

Nightmare225

Golden Member
May 20, 2006

And the PC version sold more than those two combined. ;)

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I haven't played it, but maybe the console version sucked. Half-Life 2 isn't like Doom 3 where you just run around and shoot things; there's a fair amount of agility needed in certain areas. Portal is a pretty intense game as well, and I can't really imagine being able to play that game on an Xbox.
Other shooters like Doom 3 and Bioshock are very good on Xbox.

FuryofFive

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2005
please just slap me if im getting off topic

I myself useto be part of the "pc gaming is the only platform i will touch" as most of u said,
its all about how easy it is for someone to be able to play the games. i own a couple consoles, and a psp now, time is of the essence.

i worked at a staples,and now work at a computer helpdesk. the statement made earlier about how people would research there car but not there computer is so truth.there car has a sole purpose ...the computer can do many things. so why people dont research it before buying is absolutley ridiculous. and i hate how many people think that PC gaming=expensive super computer, when in reality u can get a pretty enjoyable experience for roughly 4-500 dollars if u really cut corners. thats about how much a console is worth these days.
Another reason why console gaming is in the mainstream, is because people only see base cost...they only see well my console can play games, and well my pc can play games. they dont weigh eachs abilities..such as my ability to create many things with my pc, vs me playing lets say...GTA4(which i dont)

oh well, i could put so much more. but this will do :)