PC Gaming is Dead to me. Let me tell you why.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004

Go buy a console then. Have fun with your $60 unmoddable games and $50 controllers. I haven't turned on my 360 in almost a month.

Now I read that the life span is approximately 3 MONTHS of those cards. WHAT?

Your sources of information fail. I'm using one 8800GT since January. Unless you plan on playing Crysis at 1920x1200 you have no need to upgrade.

Nex gen experience? Haha, you sound like those Microsoft advertisements that are plastered on the front pages of the Xbox Live screen. If 1280x720 at 30fps with no AA is your idea of a nex gen experience then go for it. Consoles are very well marketed and the effect on people shows.

A PC gamer does not necessarily mean one is a hardware enthusiast.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I play most of my games on an X2 3800+ (2.0GHz), 9600GSO 384MB, at 1920x1200. Some games get upset with the size of the screen, but most of the time I'm playing on medium-high settings and enjoy the experience.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
I got my 8800GT this time last year, it still runs great and my rig is still holding up..

3 months?

garkon

Aug 13, 2004
I've been playing on my 1900xt for over 2 years now, and i paid under 250 for it. I just recently upgraded to a gtx260 for 220 and love it. If your upgrading every 3 months your doing something wrong.

For the record, i like my xbox 360 for what it does, but it is not high def gaming imo. The only way to get true high def gaming(i.e. 1080p) is w/ a PC. The xbox runs most games at 1280x720, but i've seen some games where i would debate whether it's even running that high.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Originally posted by: garkon
I've been playing on my 1900xt for over 2 years now, and i paid under 250 for it. I just recently upgraded to a gtx260 for 220 and love it. If your upgrading every 3 months your doing something wrong.

For the record, i like my xbox 360 for what it does, but it is not high def gaming imo. The only way to get true high def gaming(i.e. 1080p) is w/ a PC. The xbox runs most games at 1280x720, but i've seen some games where i would debate whether it's even running that high.

I've upgraded every 2-3 years :D

I used to upgrade when I couldn't even launch a new game (3+ years) now I upgrade when I can't play games at my resolution at Medium settings

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
OP is dumb if he thinks he has to upgrade every 3mo just to "keep up" :roll: Only an idiot with too much money would constantly upgrade to all the high end enthusiast shit.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Liberator21

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not hardcore but I do love me some PC gaming. I'm a hardware enthusiast who loves tech, but lately its becoming ridiculous at the advancement and life spans of the tech.

Mainly I'm speaking of GPU's.

I've held out with my SLI'd 8800GT's and was looking forward to the next iteration - completely missing the 260 and 280 and going straight for the 285/295/whatever its called.

Now I read that the life span is approximately 3 MONTHS of those cards. WHAT?

I'm usually no ranter, but this is a little excessive. I knew the adopters of the 9800GX2 or GTX or whatever it was back in March got shafted with the 3 month EOL, but come on. It's so dismaying keeping up with it all, no wonder people are jumping ship in droves to the console market. I mean sure, you don't HAVE to have the latest tech to have an enjoyable experience, but why even bother when you can fork over for the 360 or PS3 and have the next gen experience, with a guarantee that all the games will be compatible! Even the developers let the consoles get the games first, and only port the game back to the PC when sales have died off.

I think if the PC market truly wants to survive, we have to get our act together. As a hardware enthusiast, I'm glad to see tech advance quickly. But that pace brings instability and its beginning to seem like we're not even seeing fully developed products enter the market (9800GX2?).

What's the solution? I don't really see one. It seems like the (actually niche) market of PC gaming is simply caught in the wake, and its fate is uncertain.

--

Going back to my title - I'll still play PC games, but man does being a hardware enthusiast suck sometimes!

Umm, just because your video card is not "top of the line" it doesn't mean it's "at the end of it's lifespan" .....

A single 8800GT can play everything that's out at a decent resolution with decent settings and still look better than PS3/Xbox 360. I usually upgrade my video card once every 2 years or so and there hasn't been a single game that's come out that I couldn't play because my video card was underpowered. Now, there have been games where I had to set it on "Medium" or once in a great while, I have had to run a non-native resolution (since my monitor is 1920x1200), but overall, I spend about $200 every 2 years on video cards .... That's $100 yer year averaged over time .... no more than the price of consoles assuming you buy the next gen ones within a year or two of when they come out ...

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: AbAbber2k
OP is dumb if he thinks he has to upgrade every 3mo just to "keep up" :roll: Only an idiot with too much money would constantly upgrade to all the high end enthusiast shit.

Oh the irony. This forum's video card section is loaded with the people you are talking about.

I don't see a big problem with PC gaming prices. I paid something like $1500 for my computer about 2 years ago I'm still amazed at how good it runs. Have you played Gears of War at 1080p? That is the most amazing game I have ever seen. IMO it even looks nicer than Crysis (smoother), and I'm able to run that at maximum quality on a single 8800GTX video card (it cost about as much as a Playstation 3 when I bought it).

The hardware is the only thing keeping PC gaming alive OP. When has a console been released and could say 'the graphics processing on this console is faster than every single graphics processing model previously made... combined'?
That's true for almost every generation. The original Xbox was something like a Celeron 700 with a GeForce 3 video card. The Xbox 360 is a 3-core CPU at 3.2GHz and a X1800 video card; it's several times faster than the previous generation. The first Xbox was also that incredible when it came out, it could even run Doom 3. I remember the N64 being hyped a lot because it had arcade graphics at the time. The Sega Genesis boasted about arcade graphics in the commercials, and it was true.

Game consoles are usually pretty fast when they hit the market. They only start to look crappy in that limbo period just before a new console comes out.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
New products have always been coming out. It's been that way in electronics for ever. Just because something better comes out, doesn't make what you have run any worse.

Buy what you need to play games and stick with it until new games no longer run well. Don't try to always have the best system that can be built. PC gaming isn't expensive, unless you're trying to overcompensate.

Post is an Epic Fail.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Originally posted by: ShawnD1

Oh the irony. This forum's video card section is loaded with the people you are talking about.

That's not irony.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: coldmeat

That's not irony.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony
"an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected."

Anandtech is a hardware forum filled with people who hate hardware enthusiasts.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Do what I do, stay one or two generations behind on the games. The hot games right now are going to be exactly as good one year from now and they'll be exactly as good two years from now. By that time they'll be dirt cheap and they'll run on dirt cheap technology. There is absolutely no reason to get stuck on the treadmill of constantly upgrading hardware to get better frame rates on brand new games. If you allow yourself to be jerked around like that you're a dumbass. PC Gaming isn't the problem, idiot gamers are.

Apr 17, 2005

That's not irony.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony
"an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected."

Anandtech is a hardware forum filled with people who hate hardware enthusiasts.

you don't have to be stupid with money to be an enthusiast.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004

That's not irony.

The video forum is loaded with people who upgrade their hardware more often than they play games. Just look at the hilarious PhysX advertising going on there. Totally disconnected from people who actually enjoy playing games as opposed to those who run them for benchmarks.

Nov 30, 2008
think of it this way

if your console could be upgraded, there would be upgrades available because many companies could make money on the niche market just like they do for PC with high end gamers. games for consoles would then offer options to increase graphics to use the upgradable hardware just as there is with PC right? but those who didnt upgrade couldnt use those settings.

same with PC. you dont have to upgrade but you can use its predefined settings or lower them. many PC games configure itself and run fine but the problem comes when users think its not good enough because...and only cause the higher options exist and everyone naturally wants to see them. so if the game automatically limits users based on thier hardware...gamers hack them using hacks/commandlines..etc. then they complain cause it runs at 10fps.
if a PC game is futureproofed for hardware not available yet (crysis comes to mind)...users complain cause they keep trying to use its max on unintended hardware.

the same would hold true if consoles could be upgradeable. since they arnt...thank god... then were simply stuck with lower settings than what they could otherwise have and cant change them.
Even Crysis can play on older hardware that was once high end years ago...no different than consoles.

solution is simple....pretend your PC is like a console and stop trying to max out resolution and every option under the sun. hardware requirement life on the PC can last about as long as a console.

a console is high end at first. so buy high end PC gear and you can get 4-5 years from most games

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
While you don't need to buy new hardware every 3-6 months to play current games, I'm tired of people claiming that they spent $400 on a computer and play all the new games at max settings just fine. Sorry, but if your definition of "just fine" is 5 frames per second then sure... but if you care anything about the gaming experience, you'll need to spend more than $400 to play all the newest games.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
It is really funny since new cards/cpu's aren't even on 3 month product cycles

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
While you don't need to buy new hardware every 3-6 months to play current games, I'm tired of people claiming that they spent $400 on a computer and play all the new games at max settings just fine. Sorry, but if your definition of "just fine" is 5 frames per second then sure... but if you care anything about the gaming experience, you'll need to spend more than $400 to play all the newest games.

So what you're saying is that you would never own a PC if you were not playing PC games? If that's what you're saying, then you have a valid point. For the rest of us in first world countries, we need a computer if we want to apply for jobs or get better than an F- when doing a school report. The only thing differentiating your office/school computer from a gaming computer is a $250 video card.

Since the average life of a PC is roughly 3 years, and a 3 year old PC can almost always play new games, the cost of playing PC games is equal to the cost of video card(s). I must be a schizo or something since I replace video cards pretty often, so I would put the cost of PC gaming at maybe $400-500 every 3 years.

RaTaSuM

Oct 9, 2008
If you have, say an 8800GT or better, chances are you can play any game out today with better quality than a 360 or ps3 can offer. this doesn't necessarily mean max settings, but 360 and ps3 games don't have fantastic graphics when compared to top pc games, even on med-high settings. especially when you consider that many 360 and ps3 games run at a lower resolution.

for example, mass effect on the 360 runs at 720p (NOT 1080). this goes for many other games as well (like h3, gta4, etc). on the other hand, many pc users with 2yr old graphics can easily run mass effect at 1680x1050 with ease on max settings. fact is, just because you can't play a pc game on max, doesn't mean the quality is worse than a 360/ps3, because those DEFINITELY DO NOT run at the games maximum quality.

also mouse + kb > all
also pc = quake, starcraft, cs

ps3 cost = $400/10yrs (life cycle ~10?)
pc upgrades = ~$800/10yrs
$400 more for an immensely better experience.
also consider that everyone needs a basic pc to do anything, so add $400 to the ps3 cost.
non-gaming pc + ps3 = ~$800/10yr
gaming pc = ~$800/10yr

i'll stick to pc, thank you

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: RaTaSuM

ps3 cost = $400/10yrs (life cycle ~10?)
pc upgrades = ~$800/10yrs
$400 more for an immensely better experience.
also consider that everyone needs a basic pc to do anything, so add $400 to the ps3 cost.
non-gaming pc + ps3 = ~$800/10yr
gaming pc = ~$800/10yr

I think you're underestimating the base cost of the PC. My dad, who doesn't play PC games at all, has gone through 3 computers in the past 10 years. He had a Celeron 500, it sucked, it was replaced with an Athlon 2400. That thing fried this summer so he now has an E2200. The Celeron and E2200 computers were about $500 each. The Athlon was actually a pretty expensive computer, about $1000, and that's why it lasted so long. Over the past 10 years of not-gaming, he has spent $2000 on computers.

If he put a $200-300 video card in each computer, that would work fairly ok for playing games over the past 10 years. If he played consoles, he could get a PS1 in 1998 for something like $150 (I think that's what I paid for mine that year). PS2 was really damn expensive when it came out, but it could be counted as $200 if you're willing to wait a year or two before buying it. PS3 right now is 2 years old and costs $400. Overall, PC and consoles are about the same price. Consoles are more expensive if you buy them as soon as they come out (PS3 was twice as expensive when it first came out), and PC gaming gets damn expensive if you upgrade too often.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
To skip new architecture and wait for the die shrink version to come out seems kinda silly to me. I usually get the new architecture and often skip the die shrink. It's that whole tick-tock thing.