PC Gamers: Looking for suggestion

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
My Altec Lansing gamer headset has lasted almost 8 years.
I love it. Unfortunatly, the cord now has a short in it, thus causing loss of hearing and mic static.

I need a new top of the line gaming headset.
Please direct me.

USB / 3.5MM / Wireless ?
I looked at bestbuy (my only local electronics shop) and all they had is USB headsets...
now i have a pretty close to the top of the line sound card, so im thinking i should be using the 3.5MM jacks on it... or will a USB headset use my soundcard features?
Wireless USB would be nice, but i have concern over battery life and interference.

I also need noise reduction, as my house is often noisy (sitting right next to a TV) and I need to be able to hear with loudness and clarity. Therefore i do not want the open ear sets i have seen.

Inline volume and mute is preferable if i get a wired set. A wireless set with volume and mute should also do.

Above all, they must be comfortable and long lasting.

so, what headsets do you recommend?

Rike

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2004
Sennheiser PC151 if the 166's are out of your price range. The 150's I'm using right now have been dropped countless times and still work great. They have good sound, two mini plugs, in-line vol and mic mute.

Sennheiser PC151 $37.24 shipped

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
I did try some Plantronics back in the days but im sure the Senns are probably better.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I use my 5.1 speakers for the game itself and an Aliph Jawbone 2 for the chat. Its a bluetooth headset with supreme noise cancellation abilities and clear vocal audio.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Elcs
I use my 5.1 speakers for the game itself and an Aliph Jawbone 2 for the chat. Its a bluetooth headset with supreme noise cancellation abilities and clear vocal audio.

You can use bluetooth with vent etc, plz explain cause thats awesome if its what you do.

Jan 22, 2008
Just make sure you buy something really comfortable if you are going for a headset. Not the ones that press your ear but those that are cushioned around it.
I've had the jacks and the USB and the both worked fine but you'll probably find the best headsets, like the senns etc will mostly be 3.5mm.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
A broken radioshack brand headset (microphone still works, but various wires stick out from what used to be headphones). I have a pair of sennheiser HD212Pros for receiving sound.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: WaTaGuMp
Originally posted by: Elcs

You can use bluetooth with vent etc, plz explain cause thats awesome if its what you do.

I connect my Bluetooth Headset in a similar way to the way any wired headset would be connected.

It appears as a Speaker and a Microphone under the respective parts of the Windows Control Panel and can be used as such.

I use Yahoo conference chat for my gaming, Im not a pro and game with friends who all have Yahoo and are less than useful with PC's.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I've got some decent Sony headphones and a cheap desktop mic that I stick in the front of my shirt :p

nanobreath

May 14, 2008
I purchased a plantronics from best buy recently. They have the usual 3.5mm plugins, as well as a usb adapter that can recieve the 3.5mm plugins. If you use the USB it basically installs another sound device on your system. Has inline volume control and a mute switch. I have had no complaints about the set, but I am hardly an audiophile.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
I use a Plantronics DSP 500 USB headset. I've had it for about 6 months. It's open type headphone, so it won't block out any noise. You need to lock yourself in a bomb shelter if you don't any outside noise to leak in. But it sounds pretty damn good. It's also very comfortable, so it's great for long hours of playtime.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
how big of a difference is there between the sennheiser 161, 166, and 350?

Ive seen the 350s on ebay for 100$ and on amazon for $160.
but i can find the 161s/166s for around $80.
does the price difference justify the difference? or should i try for the ebay price?

im sure either one should eb a nice upgrade over my altec lansing AHS 502's.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
logitech headphones w/ mic 3.5mm

USB Is better but people hear me real good w/ it

Desktop mic was awful, it picked up too much ambient noise

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
i prefer a standalone mic with my senheisser hd555s

not willing to sacrifice quality to have a mic strapped to my head

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I use the Tritton AX360 Dolby Digital 5.1 headset. It comes with an actual decoder box with several inputs and outputs and has worked very well with my PS3 and computer (a bit fiddly to get it set up properly for the PC). I connect to the PS3 using the optical input and the PC through the SPDIF input. You can actually turn up the bass so that the whole headset vibrates...it's pretty cool (obviously not as good as a proper speaker set though). Watching movies on this is pretty nice too. I haven't used the mic that comes with it though.
http://ncix.com/products/index...Tritton%20Technologies

Review:
http://www.teckmagazine.com/re...headphones-review.html

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
You might checkout the new Creative Wireless headset. I haven't heard much about them but hey it's wireless so it's worth a look.
Headset