Question pc freeze and doesn't even load bios after reboot, no beeps

themadlieut

Oct 11, 2017
hello, my pc is 2 yars old and i barely had any problem until yesterday, first thing to say is that usually is on from 8 to 10 hours each day, aside usually one day at week when i'm not at home, yesterday was the day after not been on for 24+ hours, the first thing that happend was a blue screen after like 10 minutes, it was mentioning something about the hard disk, it also said to reboot and if the screen would have shown again the hd wasn't working properly.

after the reboot eveeything seemed normal until after 20 minutes or so it frooze, no bsod, just froze, after the reboot it wouldn't even load the bios, no beeps and no video signal detected by the monitor, it kept rebooting itself, i then unplugged it and checked if any cable was moved, and then after around one minute it started normally. i then started looking for useful programs to check the components, i tried speedfan (the only read i had was the temperature tho, and it was fine) amd hwinfo (i have to admit i'm not sure what i should've checked but it gave me no errors.), after that i tried a couple of games to check if it would freeze or not, nothing happend, vga was a little hotter after metro last light redux but i assume that's normal, then i did the pretty much the same thing i did at the time of the first freeze, wich is also something i do often, watch a video on vlc, with qbitorrent running and firefox just left open in the background, and after 20 minutes it froze again...

this time i unplugged the psu and made a joint between the green and the black wire (i don't have a tester) and it run smoothly for 2 minutes so i decided to plug it back and turn it on again, this time i tried intel proccessor diagnostic tool (everything passed) and i checked diskpart via integrated win tool (everything was fine), i've also found out my mobo has 4 leds to check is anything is causing problems on startup but it didn't froze again so i still have to check those, here's my current build:

Gigabyte GA-H270-HD3 LGA1151 ATX
Corsair VS550 CP-9020097-EU
Samsung MZ-75E250B/EU SSD 850 EVO
Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz 6MB
GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Â Ti WINDFORCE OC 4Â G 4Â GB
Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DR x8 DIMM 288-Pin - BLS2C8G4D240FSB
Seagate Hard-disk ST2000DM006 Barracuda Sata III 7200rpm 64MB

for what's worth both qbit and vlc where using files from the mechanical hd, wich is not the one where the os is, after the second freeze i was able to run a game for 4+ hours with no issues

my current plan would be to check if any led on the mobo turns on, but i'd need help after that, aside from phisically replace a component is there any tool i can use to check them? i know memtest for ram but it's probabbly just faster to try running only one of them each time first

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Use hdtune ( www.hdtune.com ), download the Free version, and scan the health of the HDD. There may be bad spots. However, that wouldn't cause boot-loops, or failure to power-on. It would cause delays during POST, and freezes and pauses while using the OS, included BSODs due to an inaccessable OS / primary disk.

If you were getting boot-loops, then suspect the PSU, mobo, and RAM, probably in that order.

I would, as a fairly easy first-pass diagnosis, try swapping out the PSU with another known-good one of sufficient wattage and quality. (If that's all that you have in the system, then even a quality 350-400W would probably power it OK. That video card doesn't take a lot of power.)

Edit: I take that back, slightly. If there is something seriously electrically wrong with the HDD, such that it affects the power to the rest of the system, then yes, a seriously-bad HDD could cause boot-loops, I suppose. The easiest way to check that, would be to disconnect the HDD from SATA data + power connectors, and connect up a fresh HDD or SSD (preferred), and then re-install Win10, and see how it behaves. Try a sequence of reboots and power-down / power-ons. Also, while Windows is running, download OCCT and run the PSU test. If it immediately powers-off or BSODs after it starts the actual testing phase, then replace the PSU with a known-good one and test again. If it no longer fails/crashes/BSODs, then the problem was the PSU. (*which could have damaged the HDD, in extreme cases.)

Reactions: AMD USER

themadlieut

Oct 11, 2017
Use hdtune ( www.hdtune.com ), download the Free version, and scan the health of the HDD. There may be bad spots. However, that wouldn't cause boot-loops, or failure to power-on. It would cause delays during POST, and freezes and pauses while using the OS, included BSODs due to an inaccessable OS / primary disk.

If you were getting boot-loops, then suspect the PSU, mobo, and RAM, probably in that order.

I would, as a fairly easy first-pass diagnosis, try swapping out the PSU with another known-good one of sufficient wattage and quality. (If that's all that you have in the system, then even a quality 350-400W would probably power it OK. That video card doesn't take a lot of power.)

Edit: I take that back, slightly. If there is something seriously electrically wrong with the HDD, such that it affects the power to the rest of the system, then yes, a seriously-bad HDD could cause boot-loops, I suppose. The easiest way to check that, would be to disconnect the HDD from SATA data + power connectors, and connect up a fresh HDD or SSD (preferred), and then re-install Win10, and see how it behaves. Try a sequence of reboots and power-down / power-ons. Also, while Windows is running, download OCCT and run the PSU test. If it immediately powers-off or BSODs after it starts the actual testing phase, then replace the PSU with a known-good one and test again. If it no longer fails/crashes/BSODs, then the problem was the PSU. (*which could have damaged the HDD, in extreme cases.)

thank you for the answer, unfortunatly i've been sick these day and i couldn't bother doing many tests, i've downloaded occt but i've yet to try it, the psu test you mean is the last one on the right, correct?

anyway i tested my ssd with various softwares, including hd tune and everything looks fine, i've found out that my psu has an extremely negative reputation, so i'm looking for alternatives while i'm running various combo (now i'm running all 3 of them) of the programs i had running when it froze the other day

EDIT: so i've tried all the occt tests, all of the gets interrupted after 6 seconds except the cpu one, the only one that gives me an error is the gpu memtest, all the other just gets interrupted with no visible errors, here's the graph of th psu one:

Attachments

• 20191026-185156-PowerSupply.png
    20191026-185156-PowerSupply.png
    165.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wow, that's a version of OCCT I haven't seen yet. I thought that the newest version was 4.4.2. Need to re-download, I guess, and try it on my rig.

Edit: I'm not yet fully familiar with the new OCCT 5.4.2 version (trying it out now), but on the older version, if the tests kept exiting, that generally meant that the "Safe CPU temp limit" was being exceeded. Your cooler might have come unfastened at a corner. That could also (potentially) cause "freezes".

Last edited: