PC doesn't finish loading startup apps after installing SP2 (random!)

Trey22

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2003
Happening on 2 different PC's, completely different configs (AMD & Intel).

About half the time, both PC's will boot, then hang before loading ZA... you can click on everything on the desktop but nothing will launch or load.

I haven't let it sit to see if it eventually loads, I'll do that tonite. Usually rebooting solves it, sometimes you have to power ALL the way off then back on for it to bootup correctly.

The Intel box only has Avast AV and ZA loading, my AMD box has those two, along w/ Winfast Deluxe TV, AIM, SK2CTL, and the Nvidia auido manager.

I checked ZA's forums and tech support, couldn't find the problem described.

What's the next step? Uninstalling SP2? Stopping all my startup apps to see if it's either Avast or ZA?

Thanks in advance.

Trey

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Did you disable the Windows Firewall? Perhaps Zone Alarm is conflicting with SP2's built-in firewall (which is enabled by default).

Trey22

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2003
Yes, I double checked and it is disabled, it only shows ZA as enabled.

Unfortunately, I don't have a restore point, so it's either find a fix or maybe format and reinstall and see what happens.

Trey22

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2003
Found a thread over on the ZA forums w/ others having the same problem... PC boots but hangs right before or during v5.1.011 of ZA... we'll see if a fix/upgrade comes out soon from either ZA or MS.