PBS show on immigration.

MithShrike

Diamond Member
May 5, 2002
I was watching this tonight and I found it very interesting. The Mexican immigrants moving from Kansas to California but doing worse off in CA; the Indian family having to move back to India because of the dot-com bubble burst; the two Nigerian families being successful: this one was particularly moving to me because some good friends of mine were also Nigerian refugees; the Palestinian woman and her Arab-American husband who face challenges due to their ethnicity; the two Dominican baseball players fulfilling their dreams of playing professional baseball. All this I found to be quite interesting. PBS sure beats the living hell out of any other broadcast network.

BTW, what was the show called? I came in just after the beginning and the whole thing was commercial free.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
hmmm anyone captured it? i want to see it as well. or are they going to rerun it?

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
I think it's called new americans a part of the international lense series.

Cheers,
Aquaman

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli
PBS rules.

Yes they do, for the 45 minuntes a day that they're not running 'Are You Being Served' Reruns.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I also saw it, and I thought it was great. It really shows just how much we [Americans] take for granted at times.

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Aquaman

Cheers,
Aquaman
:Q OMG, lirion will hunt you down and eat your liver for misspelling that word!!!!

;)

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Kyteland
Originally posted by: Aquaman

Cheers,
Aquaman
:Q OMG, lirion will hunt you down and eat your liver for misspelling that word!!!!

;)

Bring it :p

Cheers,
Aquaman

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
My fiancee was watching this last night and it opened her eyes to all the luxuries we apparently have. Meaning a lot of people have to deal with a lot of adversity. We wound up talking about it for hours in bed and didn't fall asleep till 130. The whole time I kept thinking to myself... visiting ATOT everyday opened my eyes a long time ago... I don't need no PBS programming.

JesusIsLord

Apr 1, 2004
PBS Programming is exceellent- Hard to imagine living in a country were 70$ is the annual wage, And people in gamgs are better off then those who work their tails off

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

Frontline
Ghosts of Rwanda
120 mins.

Ten years ago this month, Rwanda endured something almost beyond belief: Hutus killed some 800,000 Tutsis---10,000 in one place in just hours. Worse, it was ?a calculated political plan,? says producer Greg Barker, who calls it the Hutu government's ?own version of the Final Solution.? In interviews with eyewitnesses and officials, Barker examines the complex causes of the tragedy. And he looks at it as a ?moral test? for those who wanted to stop it. ?What do you do in a crisis?? he asks. ?You hope you'd do the right thing, but there's no guarantee.?

Category: News, Documentary

Release Year: 2004

on tonight

sharq

Mar 11, 2003
PBS has tons of good documentaries. I caught half of this one, it was good, but it's something some of us are familiar with based on our own lives :) wasn't an eye-opener for me.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
I saw it and its definately a pleasant way to waste a hour or two.

One thing i noticed though, was that they followed immigrants from every part of the world [latin america-india-africa-ME/muslim regions-carribean] yet they left out East Asian and European [white]. I find that kind of odd, especially leaving out Asians...wonder why they did it like that ?

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by: peonyu
I saw it and its definately a pleasant way to waste a hour or two.

One thing i noticed though, was that they followed immigrants from every part of the world [latin america-india-africa-ME/muslim regions-carribean] yet they left out East Asian and European [white]. I find that kind of odd, especially leaving out Asians...wonder why they did it like that ?

Cuz then it would become another Joy Luck Club