PBS Frontline Obama & Mccain

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
PBS frontline is showing a very insightful docu on both Mccain and Obama.
FRONTLINE - THE CHOICE 2008.
Showing again Wed 10/15, Friday 10/17 in the morning, and Sunday 10/19 late afternoon.
Interesting inside look into the two campaigns, persons and how they got where they are.

Two things that took me back was just how blind stubborn Mccain is on the war (a Bush trait), Mccain?s commitment to the Bush policies and how he used that to get where he is today with the republican right wing base, his divorce from his first wife in search for someone that could give him "the good life". And notice who is sitting there in the background of Mccain?s town halls, Phil Graham. The guy who called the economy woes something "just in our minds", calling us a "nation of whiners".
Well worth watching.

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
Are they covering ACORN stealing election in a dozen states and that Obama used to work for them (and is trying to hide it http://gatewaypundit.blogspot....ht-smears-website.html )? Are they covering Obama mentor the communist party member Frank Marshal Davis("Frank" in Obama's book)? Are they covering Jeremiah Wright's lib theology and racist black Jesus come to save the downtrodden from the crackers? Are they covering Obama suing Citibank with ACORN under Community Reinvestment Act? How about having Fannie CEO Bob Johnson on his campaign and having 2nd most donations from corrupted mortgage institutions? Are they covering Obama"s grades? His missing birth certificate? The sex ed for kiddies? Maybe Michelle sounding just like Che? I am sure the Frontline show will be very insightful.

I hope they at least go into BO's Alinsky training (neo Marxist of course - Alinsky admired Gramsci)

Obama's mentor in the Alinsky method Mike Kruglik:

"He was a natural, the undisputed master of agitation, who could engage a room full of recruiting targets in a rapid-fire Socratic dialogue, nudging them to admit that they were not living up to their own standards. As with the panhandler, he could be aggressive and confrontational. With probing, sometimes personal questions, he would pinpoint the source of pain in their lives, tearing down their egos just enough before dangling a carrot of hope that they could make things better."

bdude

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Butterbean
Are they covering ACORN stealing election in a dozen states and that Obama used to work for them (and is trying to hide it http://gatewaypundit.blogspot....ht-smears-website.html )? Are they covering Obama mentor the communist party member Frank Marshal Davis("Frank" in Obama's book)? Are they covering Jeremiah Wright's lib theology and racist black Jesus come to save the downtrodden from the crackers? Are they covering Obama suing Citibank with ACORN under Community Reinvestment Act? How about having Fannie CEO Bob Johnson on his campaign and having 2nd most donations from corrupted mortgage institutions? Are they covering Obama"s grades? His missing birth certificate? The sex ed for kiddies? Maybe Michelle sounding just like Che? I am sure the Frontline show will be very insightful.

I hope they at least go into BO's Alinsky training (neo Marxist of course - Alinsky admired Gramsci)

"He was a natural, the undisputed master of agitation, who could engage a room full of recruiting targets in a rapid-fire Socratic dialogue, nudging them to admit that they were not living up to their own standards. As with the panhandler, he could be aggressive and confrontational. With probing, sometimes personal questions, he would pinpoint the source of pain in their lives, tearing down their egos just enough before dangling a carrot of hope that they could make things better."

Maybe you should watch it first before you go yapping with your limbaugh-riddled mind.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002

Butterbean, I just watched the video and it was shocking. Come to find out Obama is an alien from outer space and he came down here to have sex with kids

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Either Butterbean is really going off the deep end with rage as Obama gets closer to victory, or he simply ran out of his anti-psychotic medication.

As always BB, I will ask you to please seek some professional mental help. The sort of things that you write are not normal, they are dangerously paranoid. I seriously have wondered if you are going to hurt yourself or someone else.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
I actually appreciate the rantings of bb - saves me the trouble of sampling right wing, hate group sites.

Thanks bb. I just wish you would have chosen a different user name instead of tainting a wholesome vegetable.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Thanks, I love PBS Frontline pieces.

very rational, logical, and about as unbiased a news source as you can find. Contrary to what people like Butterbean think.

look forward to watching it.

and BB, jesus christ dude....seriously.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
This is one of the most valuable pieces of journalism every election season. I wish it would get more attention and viewership than the debates, because it provides a much better insight on how the two would govern.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Are they covering ACORN stealing election in a dozen states and that Obama used to work for them (and is trying to hide it http://gatewaypundit.blogspot....ht-smears-website.html )? Are they covering Obama mentor the communist party member Frank Marshal Davis("Frank" in Obama's book)? Are they covering Jeremiah Wright's lib theology and racist black Jesus come to save the downtrodden from the crackers? Are they covering Obama suing Citibank with ACORN under Community Reinvestment Act? How about having Fannie CEO Bob Johnson on his campaign and having 2nd most donations from corrupted mortgage institutions? Are they covering Obama"s grades? His missing birth certificate? The sex ed for kiddies? Maybe Michelle sounding just like Che?
Great job! Do you have those in a text file somewhere or are they committed to memory now?
With probing, sometimes personal questions, he would pinpoint the source of pain in their lives, tearing down their egos just enough before dangling a carrot of hope that they could make things better.
That seems more virtuous than anything else, and rather in discord with the rest of your post.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000

We know Obama is a Commie symp, baby eater, and mass murderer. We are going to vote for him anyway.

How do you like your blue-eyed boy now, Mr. Wright?

-Robert

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Watch out Butterbean, we forum Liberals have taken up a collection, have already talked to the Messiah, and come this October 31 we are sending Barack Obama to your house for trick or treating.
And while Barack Obama politely knocks, William Ayers, the Rev Wright, Frank Davis, OJ Simson, Bob Johnson, and everyone else on your boogie man list will be carrying a large battering ram. And
proceed to ransack your abode and steal all your candy.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Just got around to seeing this, and I agree with the original poster's assessment-this is a must see program, no matter which one you support. They avoid the biographical parts that have been covered a million times (even bringing out relatively fresh aspects of McCain's POW time). My favorite, and probably most telling episode of the whole show was his conservative Harvard classmate explaining what a toxic racial clash was going on at the law school then, how Obama reached out to all sides and how he got selected top editor after a marathon day of balloting. Most telling was that he ended up putting many of the conservatives in top posts at the law review over his natural constituency (fellow blacks) because his ultimate goal was to make the law review the best possible.

Sounds like a true reaching across the aisle type of guy to me, rather than just someone who reaches to Joe Lieberman.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: seemingly random
I actually appreciate the rantings of bb - saves me the trouble of sampling right wing, hate group sites.

Thanks bb. I just wish you would have chosen a different user name instead of tainting a wholesome vegetable.

I think Butterbean is an appropriate name for him/her as he/she is full of gas.

and maybe if we ignore it, BB will go away.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: eleison
Frontline has been accused of being very liberal. Take it with a grain of salt.

You can always find someone conservative enough to call anything liberal.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

They do have a tendency to take on "liberal" topics, but this show doesn't attempt to go through each candidate's position on issue X. Rather it is a rather different look at who that are as a person and what events in each of their lives shaped them that way.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
I watched most of it Sunday night and agreed with those in here. It was a very good program and definitely worth watching. Was very interesting to see just how Obama got to where he was and it was nice they showed his thought processes through these events as well.

Frontline is a really great program! I just wish it came on at a better time. Always online I suppose.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It was an excellent program. Completely fair, balanced, and accurate.

Desturel

Nov 25, 2001
This is a very good piece. I was not aware that McCain was previously married before being a POW and then married Cindy later. Also, I knew about how "tricked out" the Straight Talk Express had become during the primaries, but I was not aware that he later dumped it to save money.

For the most part I paid a bit more attention to the McCain parts of the documentary and I feel I've learned a bit more about him, however what I've learned is a bit unsettling. It seems that he's lived his last eight years with the sole purpose of getting the republican nomination and he was willing to change anything and everything about himself to match what he thought others would want him to be. Even going so far as to support stances that he doesn't really believe in.

It is possible that if he had accepted the invitation to switch parties and had stuck to his original beliefs and morals, he would be in a much different position than he is now.

Ultimately a biography can't show you the whole picture and since I haven't been following his life in detail, I'm not sure how much of the victimization of McCain's life was due to editorial decisions and how much was due to reality.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

I'm curious, would you make this same "take it with a grain of salt" recommendation for any program known to be very conservative?