Paypal sucks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I stopped using PayPal as a seller in 2008. https://www.heatware.com/u/262
I still use it to buy.

But even when I was selling:
I have my normal checking and saving account.
I open another checking account at my bank and call it PayPal.
I tie it to my PayPal account.
I don't keep money in that PayPal checking account.
If I need to make a payment via PayPal, I transfer money in.
If I get a payment, I transfer it out as soon as I get it.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I stopped using PayPal as a seller in 2008. https://www.heatware.com/u/262
I still use it to buy.

But even when I was selling:
I have my normal checking and saving account.
I open another checking account at my bank and call it PayPal.
I tie it to my PayPal account.
I don't keep money in that PayPal checking account.
If I need to make a payment via PayPal, I transfer money in.
If I get a payment, I transfer it out as soon as I get it.

As mentioned same here however I took it a step further and drove down the street to a different bank for the PP account! (yeah I really don't trust PP... or banks!)

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I too have the PayPal credit card and like it.

But I will not use them for private transactions except on Carryology.

Read my story above about how I had to fucking jump through hoops to get my money from a scammer.
I don't have a physical card. I just opened a paypal credit account and have a modest limit. Places that accept paypal also accept paypal credit. If you purchase anything over $99, they'll do 6 months same as cash. I typically finance all kinds of things through that around Christmas and may buy junk on that account just to keep it from hitting other accounts.

I bought a new mattress, $1000 in blinds, and a bunch of computer parts in 2020 on it. It was nice being able to get stuff I would have put on a credit card knowing I had 5 extra months to pay on it. I'm pretty careful with credit accounts and needed to buy that stuff then, so it worked out. I typically only use it at Home Depot, Best Buy, Walmart, etc....well known sites. 99% of the chinese scammers all accept paypal, so you have to watch out for them and their scams.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I don't have a physical card. I just opened a paypal credit account and have a modest limit. Places that accept paypal also accept paypal credit. If you purchase anything over $99, they'll do 6 months same as cash. I typically finance all kinds of things through that around Christmas and may buy junk on that account just to keep it from hitting other accounts.

I bought a new mattress, $1000 in blinds, and a bunch of computer parts in 2020 on it. It was nice being able to get stuff I would have put on a credit card knowing I had 5 extra months to pay on it. I'm pretty careful with credit accounts and needed to buy that stuff then, so it worked out. I typically only use it at Home Depot, Best Buy, Walmart, etc....well known sites. 99% of the chinese scammers all accept paypal, so you have to watch out for them and their scams.
Yes that's what I have as well, th e zero interest for 6 months on purchases $100 or more as a PayPal checkout option. Otherwise I'd probably shut down my PayPal account completely.

Reactions: Scarpozzi

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I spoke with a supervisor today and he also basically said there is nothing he can do. He even flat out told me had I done the transaction goods and services that I could have been screwed as well since the deal was one in person. This makes absolutely no sense.

I flat out told him I'm not paying it and never will pay it so might as well close my account and they are losing a customer since 2005. He couldn't have cared less.

So yeah, fuck paypal.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I spoke with a supervisor today and he also basically said there is nothing he can do. He even flat out told me had I done the transaction goods and services that I could have been screwed as well since the deal was one in person. This makes absolutely no sense.

I flat out told him I'm not paying it and never will pay it so might as well close my account and they are losing a customer since 2005. He couldn't have cared less.

So yeah, fuck paypal.
I'm in agreement with you that if THEY reversed the transaction unlawfully due to a decision they made....you should definitely part ways.

Personally, I won't ever be a seller due to the horror stories I've heard with Paypal always favoring the buyer. I do use them when selling my NFL tickets occasionally, but that's to a broker I've done business with for years.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm in agreement with you that if THEY reversed the transaction unlawfully due to a decision they made....you should definitely part ways.

Personally, I won't ever be a seller due to the horror stories I've heard with Paypal always favoring the buyer. I do use them when selling my NFL tickets occasionally, but that's to a broker I've done business with for years.
Yeah I'm done with them.

Paypal is basically telling me that they aren't the middle man and that the transaction was between me and the buyer directly. Which for obvious reasons, makes absolutely no sense.

I just contacted my bank too and they have put an ACH block on Paypal as well so they won't even be allowed to just pull money out of my account.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Death to PayPal!! Burn it down!!

Seriously though are you concerned that they will sell the debt to collections and that you’ll end up getting harassed?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

Seriously though are you concerned that they will sell the debt to collections and that you’ll end up getting harassed?
The other way you could roll it is to remove the block and then sign an ACH affidavit of fraud if they try to extract the money from your account. I've had to do that a few times when vendors pulled silly junk with my checking account in the past. Just takes 15 minutes at the bank to sign the forms.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Yeah I'm done with them.

Paypal is basically telling me that they aren't the middle man and that the transaction was between me and the buyer directly. Which for obvious reasons, makes absolutely no sense.

I just contacted my bank too and they have put an ACH block on Paypal as well so they won't even be allowed to just pull money out of my account.
Are they expected to be in the "middle" when you use F&F? Isn't that the whole reason for G&S? If you use F&F, you are avoiding the protection and the cost associated. But your expectation is for Paypal to step in when you went a bit outside of the system?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Are they expected to be in the "middle" when you use F&F? Isn't that the whole reason for G&S? If you use F&F, you are avoiding the protection and the cost associated. But your expectation is for Paypal to step in when you went a bit outside of the system?
Doesn't matter if I did G&S or F&F if you sell in person you have no protection - the supervisor flat out told me that.

I was also under the impression that F&F had no possible ways to dispute the transaction, which is obviously not true based on this experience.

I also just filed a complaint with the BBB about this incident too, which I saw someone recommend on the paypal reddit page.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

Nope. I am not paying it no matter what. My credit is always like 820+ so I'm not too concerned about a negative hit from a $415 debt collection if they do that. I already own a house and have multiple credit cards with a long history of good credit. Although, I have no idea what kind of negative hit this would put on it. But I'm not paying it no matter what.

The person I talked to from paypal collections even told me that they don't go through the major credit bureaus, but I'm not sure what else he said because I hung up on him.

Reactions: Scarpozzi

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Nope. I am not paying it no matter what. My credit is always like 820+ so I'm not too concerned about a negative hit from a $415 debt collection if they do that. I already own a house and have multiple credit cards with a long history of good credit. Although, I have no idea what kind of negative hit this would put on it. But I'm not paying it no matter what.

The person I talked to from paypal collections even told me that they don't go through the major credit bureaus, but I'm not sure what else he said because I hung up on him.
You're a very trusting (naive) person. You believe everything that everyone tells you. The random buyer, a CR Rep, and a Paypal Collections person.

Paypal may not report payments and such to Credit Bureaus, like a normal Credit Card would. But if they turn it over to a collection agency, they will most likely report it and go after you.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If I need to sell an 800 dollar phone, swappa only uses PayPal. Where is the best place to sell phones in your opinions?

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
If I need to sell an 800 dollar phone, swappa only uses PayPal. Where is the best place to sell phones in your opinions?
I'm not much help because the only items I've sold in the past few years is via Reverb (musical instruments and accessories). Maybe something like Facebook Marketplace? What about those neighborhood apps or ones that work for your general area?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I just had a very nice interaction with another person on PayPal customer service. I was trying to basically report my own problem from my side of things but it kept opening up the existing case, which is marked as closed. It also says that I was the person who opened the case.

So when I got on the phone, even the PayPal guy didn't know what was up. He said the case was actually showing as open on their side, waiting for information from the financial institution, to make a final decision. But then I asked him why am I getting hit up by PayPal collections, and I literally received an email from them about my negative balance, while on the call with him. He really had no clue as to why this is all happening and put me on hold quite a bit while trying to figure it out on his end, but in the end he couldn't figure it out so he gave me an email address at paypal to send my appeal to with all of my proof of our conversations/emails about everything. He was just way more helpful than anyone else I've talked to at this point and I kept my cool the whole time too.

Like if the other guy can open a case and they put my account in negative, I don't understand why they can't just do the same for the buyer after seeing the proof of his intentions to purchase, and then basically move it back to my account.

We'll see though...

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
This is good for Bitcoin.

Sorry, couldn't help it. I hope you get your case resolved soon. I used to have a ton of problems with them way back in the past when I sold MMORPG gold to the point where they almost banned me entirely from their service. I never did anything wrong on my side as a seller, but to me that exposed how "easy" one could play the role of the victim buyer. Because it doesn't really matter whether the accounts are verified, whether you ship something and arrives, and etc. I've tried it all sorts of things, and there's always a way for the buyer to play victim. With PayPal, statistically you're guaranteed to have a problem like this at some point. The best you can do is minimize the chance that happens (which it seems like you did), otherwise cash or crypto.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So hadn't heard anything about this in a long time and today I woke up to an email from paypal with the subject "Payment agreement cancellation" and it said that I canceled my payment agreement with paypal and that I no longer can do business with ebay through paypal either, and had some transaction ID.

Well I never did anything of the such and I went to log into paypal on my phone app and it wouldn't let me use faceID to log in. I tried to enter my password and I coudln't get that to work either. So I tried to use the forgot password link and entered my email address, and I keep getting an error of "Sorry, something went wrong on our end. Please try again."

So I guess they just completed deleted my account or have it in some odd state where I can not access it again with my email address or anything.

In the end, I win, so fuck paypal.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I used to use PP a lot but a couple months ago there was a bogus transaction on my account for $22 which I promptly disputed on PP.

A few days after I filed the dispute and was credited the money back, the charge was re-submitted to PP AND THEY HONORED IT AGAIN!

Fortunately since I already didn't trust them I have a second checking account exclusively for PP that can't over-draw and always has a zero-balance so no real harm done but what the hell?

As of now my PP is sitting @ -$21.39 because those idiot's decided to pay a charge that was clearly fraud since the dispute was decided in my favor BUT PP refuses to un-fvck my account!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I used to use PP a lot but a couple months ago there was a bogus transaction on my account for $22 which I promptly disputed on PP.

A few days after I filed the dispute and was credited the money back, the charge was re-submitted to PP AND THEY HONORED IT AGAIN!

Fortunately since I already didn't trust them I had a second checking account exclusively for PP that can't over-draw and always has a zero-balance so no real harm done but wth.

As of now my PP is sitting @ -$21.39 because those idiot's decided to pay a charge that was clearly fraud since the dispute was decided in my favor BUT PP refuses to un-fvck my account!
Yep. You're in the same boat as me but with less money. They don't care about you and won't refund you no matter what. I don't understand why they take the side of scammers so much.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yep. You're in the same boat as me but with less money. They don't care about you and won't refund you no matter what. I don't understand why they take the side of scammers so much.

Good news is there's no need to ever use Paypal again far as I'm concerned.... plenty of other ways to send money these days.

I've had that Paypal account for like 25 years now too... you would think those tools would value that sort of thing but apparently no? Seems pretty stupid to piss away long-term customers like that.

PP is going to go "away" in the not too distant future I predict. :confused:

Dec 10, 2005
I feel like a lot of these things come from the big issue that PayPal is a bank that avoids most banking and credit regulations that protect consumers by claiming they aren't a real bank.

ail joseborera

Jan 6, 2023
I sold someone something on paypal back in October for $400. It was someone I met locally and they paid via F&F.

Like January 23rd or so they contacted me saying that the buyer is filing a claim as unauthorized transaction and my balance was now -$400.

I made the guy send me an email from the paypal email address stating it was his and he intended to purchase, which he did. I also still have chat logs of our entire conversation and even have him saying "thanks for everything I have the item in hand."

So I sent that all to paypal.

The next thing I heard from them like this past Sunday was they were tacking on an additional $15 fee for having to deal with this. So my account is now -$415.

Today I get an email that they sided with the buyer and his financial institution and the case is over.

Needless to say I am done with paypal for good at this point.

If anyone has a lot of followers on Twitter or anything, please retweet this.

thanks for sharing it
one more proof for me
(actually it is enought)
that paypal sucks!!!