paypal requires bank account now?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I recently had to set up a paypal account so I could purchase a game.
Fine, went through the process of adding a credit card.
Went to buy said game using paypal.
Got error message saying I needed to verify my CC.
OK, fine, should be easy to verify a CC on paypal right? Hmm, they list some simple steps in the help section, and doing those exact steps gives me none of the options they list. :confused:
Tried a different browser, just in case. Nope.
E-mail them, and get back a canned response telling me the same steps, proving that they didn't read what I wrote. :rolleyes:

Now, I call in to paypal, and tell them the same thing.
First they told me, did I follow the steps, and I said I can't since it don't offer that...then after a pause, they say you don't need to verify, since it went through (true, the $1 charge hit the CC and the $-1 did as well. A charge of ($USD) 1.00 was authorized at PAYPAL) Good, things should work now right ? Wrong!

They tell me I need to add a bank account, in addition to the CC. I am like why, and they go for "security". I said if I give out my bank account, that is less secure for me. They said I don't have a choice.
I said cancel my account.

Why on earth do they now require a bank account in addition to perfectly valid CCs, when those same CCs work fine at everywhere else EXCEPT paypal?
Idiots.
:colbert:

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I wasn't aware that you could ever open an account without a bank.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Verified CC != verified account.

Just trying to verify the CC, not a verified account. The verified account does requre a bank account.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Create online account with ING or whatever, never put anything in that account. Done.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
They have been doing that for many years, I have not used pp for many years.

Yes there is a correlation...... f them

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I didn't mind that... I've got a few savings/chequings accounts. One I used has $20 in it, so jokes on the person who hacks my Paypal account.

I'm more outraged that Blizzard needed me to have a cell phone from a specific provider to sell shit in Diablo 3.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
They want a bank account so that they can hit it, after you dispute the CC charge for a bad ebay transaction.

Not cool.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I have a bank account tied to mine. But I never, ever leave money in it. If I am going to buy something, I transfer money into it.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Some people are getting confused between verified CC and verified account.

You are supposed to enter in a CC, then
How does credit/debit card Verification work?

Step 1: Add your credit/debit card to your PayPal account. (All information is encrypted for maximum security.)

Step 2: Authorise PayPal to make a small, refundable charge to your card which will generate a 4-digit PayPal code (similar to a pin number) needed to complete the verification process.

Step 3: Retrieve your 4-digit code from your card statement and enter it in to your PayPal account - this completes the verification process.
In step 2, there is no way to do that now. They just charged the CC $1, and the description of transaction is "PAYPAL". You would think that since they did process a charge, that it would be verified, but nope.

On that same page, you can see
How do I get Verified?

There are 2 ways you can verify your account:

Option 1: Link and confirm your credit card with PayPal
Option 2: Confirm your bank account with PayPal (recommended - especially for eBay sellers*)
Option 1 is no longer valid, unless of course you apply for the paypal CC.

*edit, link: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/article/?solutionId=59972&m=SRE

Last edited:

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
It's their method of verifying identity, which is their greatest risk. Simply authorizing a card simply confirms card info is correct and it has available credit, not that the person entering it is the owner of the card.

Now that 'code' verification on a card auth would verify identify to an extent since the person would need access to that card's online credit card access. However that looks like it only works on a PayPal credit card which makes sense since no other card issuer would recognize that code value being passed in an auth.

Cent deposits in a bank account also verifies identity since you need access to online banking.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
I also have Paypal with a CC but no bank account.

I was able to do this until I hit $10k in CC spending over the lifetime of my account, then I was forced to add an account. Added a bogus ing account.

MontyAC

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2004
You can set up a verified account with a bank account and a CC. Once you are verified, remove your bank account. That's how I use Paypal. My CC is a Discover card secure internet number, not my actual CC number.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Paypal sucks. For what it's worth I added a checking account years ago to receive some payments, but shut that account down years back. Paypal still thinks it's valid and it always comes up as the default pay option, but the account doesn't exist, so I just use CC.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
They want a bank account so that they can hit it, after you dispute the CC charge for a bad ebay transaction.

Not cool.
Acting as if they were a Bank, without all the encumbering regulations and laws and dumb stuff to protect people from their illegal acts.
PayPal is not your "pal". :whiste:

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Acting as if they were a Bank, without all the encumbering regulations and laws and dumb stuff to protect people from their illegal acts.
PayPal is not your "pal". :whiste:
Nope, and avoid paying with a paypal balance. If the seller screws you you are screwed; paypal will only give you back what they can pull out of the scammer's account (nothing). Always pay with credit card, so that when paypal tells you to pound sand your credit company can say no F YOU paypal, you pound sand, and your CC lender will have your back. Then paypal eats it.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Why would someone still use Paypal? It's been clear for at least a year now that they will do everything in their power to bone their customers. It's like pre-buying the hottest new game with intrusive DRM and an always-online requirement and then being outraged when it fails (ahem, D3 and Simcity).